Russia sends anti-terror troops Syria

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Soliloquy

Sometimes I wonder if my mind is slowly going off the deep end. Although I don't make a point of sharing it very often, I can't shake the feeling that the world is going to completely fall to pieces within the span of a few years.

It would really help my lingering paranoia if the world would stop supporting my fears.

Russia, one of President Bashar al-Assad's strongest allies despite international condemnation of the government's violent crackdown on the country's uprising, has repeatedly blocked the United Nations Security Council's attempts to halt the violence, accusing the U.S. and its allies of trying to start another war.

Now the Russian Black Sea fleet's Iman tanker has arrived in the Syrian port of Tartus on the Mediterranean Sea with an anti-terror squad from the Russian Marines aboard according to the Interfax news agency. The Assad government has insisted it is fighting a terrorist insurgency. The Russian news reports did not elaborate on the Russian troops' mission in Syria or if they are expected to leave the port.
Maybe I should stop reading the news...?

S

Soliloquy

This is just the same as the US sending an Amphibious Assault Ship to Haiti (or Liberia, or etc.) when the shit hits the fan.
I dunno... it's just that Russia's taking a move that seems to be in direct defiance of the U.N. by sending troops that look to be aiding the government against the rebels.

It really screams yellow journalism to me. There are 1,000's of Russians in Syria. It is basically a really small force of Marines on that ship, that are there to pull the Russian Civilians out if the fighting gets worse.

Then again, if there is one thing the Russians know how to do, is shoot civilians.

Necronic

Staff member
Well, Russia IS thumbing their nose at the UN, and I can't say I blame them. It's not that I support the Syrian regime, screw them, but it's more that the US and other groups spent a lot of the last four years talking shit about Putin. Now he's back.

And he's mad.

Nobody puts Russia in the corner.

Some marines and military advisors are a long, long way from sending in an armored division to shore up the government or wipe out the resistance. I am in no way supportive of the Syrian government, but if Russia wants to provide extra security to their citizens and advisory aid to an ally, that's their prerogative.

Status
Not open for further replies.