Roguelikes

Necronic

Staff member
What roguelikes do you guys like?

I like:

DCSS: gold standard for Roguelike IMHO. Totally free, been in development for over a decade iirc.

TOME4: static map, which is weird, but otherwise excellent. Has incredible item detail. Very fun.

The Pit: not sure about this one yet. Items are sort of 'meh'. Like there's only a handful of base guns/swords. Still enjoy it so far.

GasBandit

Staff member
My first roguelike was... well, Rogue. But after that, Moria/Angband was a pretty good step up. There were some graphical roguelikes in the 90s I tried but I'm sure none of them would have aged well. I haven't really played any modern such things, though if you ask me, I always considered Diablo and its sequels/clones to be roguelikes. So.. I guess right now my favorite roguelike is Path of Exile.

figmentPez

Staff member
The only Rogue-like I've played recently has been Pixel Dungeon on Android, but I gave up on it because I got sick of the brutal difficulty, and how every patch seemed to focus on removing any winning strategies. I know that it's traditional for Rogue-likes to be difficult, but with Nethack I at least felt like if I knew enough about what was possible in the world, that I could make better progress the next time, and didn't need perfect luck to see more, let alone finish. Pixel Dungeon just started to feel like it was entirely luck based, and my decisions and strategies weren't the deciding factor.

Personally my ideal "Rogue-like" probably wouldn't even be one, according to fans of the genre. I'd want something more like Yoda Stories, or Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures, where the randomly generated world is made to be completed, and being able to finish is not primarily dependent on getting a lucky start. But then, I don't look for difficulty in a game.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, I won't restart the debate that took place in the FTL thread vis a vis its status as a "roguelike."

I'd forgotten about don't starve, though. That is pretty good, and pretty rogue-like.

Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Also, I prefer the term roguelike-like. Not to be confused with a Rogue like-like, which is a monster that will eat your tunic, but won't be a part of the system.

The closest I've come to playing a roguelike is Dwarf Fortress adventure mode. Which is hardcore enough for me, thank you very much.

Necronic

Staff member
Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Also, I prefer the term roguelike-like. Not to be confused with a Rogue like-like, which is a monster that will eat your tunic, but won't be a part of the system.
The technical term I've heard bandied about is "roguelight"

This would be for games like Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain or, possibly Rogue Legacy, although the latter is really only barely even a roguelight. Its really just a Ghost and Goblins style platformer.