Ridley Scott to direct Blade Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/rid...-version-of-seminal-sci-fi-film-blade-runner/

I have to admit I was never a big fan of the original movie. I know it's a popular movie but I just never thought it was that great. I do think the concept is pretty cool and could make for a really cool movie. In the article they aren't clear if it's a sequel or a remake of the original (I hope it's not a remake).
I'm of the opposite. I don't think the concept was all that special, but the movie we got out of it with Blade Runner was really special.

I've tried multiple times to watch Blade Runner throughout my life. And every time, I get bored stiff and turn it off after maybe half an hour.

Hm. Think it might be time to give it another try, come to think of it.

It's not an action movie, Nick. It's a character drama with robots.
Where did I imply that I thought this? I understand that. It's a very character-driven sci-fi drama. I've always understood that.

That doesn't make it any less dry and dull to me, though.

I'm dubious. I think the original is... some of the finest filmmaking Scott has ever done. Easily one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. I guess we will see if Scott has his chops back with Prometheus or if he's still making mediocre movies like Robin Hood.

Fun fact: That Robin Hood was originally going to be a story about the Sheriff, instead. And has to investigate a murder that seems to be Robin Hood.

When Ridley came on board, he changed the whole damn thing and what we got is...well, what we got.

It's not an action movie, Nick. It's a character drama with robots.
I bet that's my problem with it. I always thought of it as an action movie but it never delivered. Like Nick I would get bored after 30 minutes and then daydream through the rest of the movie. I may give it another try.

I want to find an edition that still has Harrison Ford's half-assed narration over it. Ridley and Harrison both hated the concept but the one time I saw it with narration I actually liked it... it made the film feel more like a graphic novel.

I want to find an edition that still has Harrison Ford's half-assed narration over it. Ridley and Harrison both hated the concept but the one time I saw it with narration I actually liked it... it made the film feel more like a graphic novel.
I couldn't stand listening to that once, but even if you prefer that narration, there's no saving that tacked-on ending.

fade

Staff member
What, you don't need to be spoon-fed obvious conclusions? But according to Hollywood, we're all dumb as rocks.

I loved the original. I tried to get my wife to watch it, but like some of you, she found it boring and dragging. The parts she described as boring I realized I watched completely differently than she did. She said there were too many scenery and flying shots. I LOVED those. The city and the future it painted were characters in and of themselves. That was their dialogue.

Netflix has the theatrical cut available for streaming. I'm gonna give it another shot.
I once threw up all over my clothes and I didn't care for it. The fridge some food I can combine to make it happen again. I'm gonna give it another shot.

(Bad Harrison Ford narration is bad. Rumor has it he did it bad on purpose thinking the execs would cut it, but nope...)

Status
Not open for further replies.