Resigning my position (herein lies a wall of text)

Preface: I have something I need to get off my chest, and a way to get all my thoughts in order before I take my next steps. That's what this post is meant to be, and that is all. I can not go into certain details, however if anyone actually makes it to the end of this and has questions I can try to offer answers to what I can. What specifics I might not be able to answer I will simply tell you what I can and how much I can.

I'm sitting in a hotel room and trying to count how many different hotels I have been in over the last 12 weeks. I have lost count of even the different towns and cities I have been in. I know that they are stretched over 5 different states.

I am a travelling salesman. Or I am supposed to be. The company I work for sends me from place to place, city to city, state to state, business to business in order to sell merchant processing solutions. We offer low *fixed rates on credit card processing in addition to other programs to benefit and help grow a small to medium sized business profit revenue. That's the idea anyhow.

And it sounds good on the surface. When I present to you how much you are currently spending with your existing service provider vs how much my company can *save you it all looks very good on paper. Even when I go through an in depth explanation of why I am able to save you XX number of dollars a month it makes sense... from a certain point of view. Then I ask you for a ton of personal information, a voided check, fill out a 14 page contract and lean on your pen for you while you sign away. And I am expected to get you to sign through nearly any means necessary. I can be your friend, a negotiator on your behalf with the higher ups, I can get a little firm, and I can even get to the point of badgering and harassing you. And if I can't get it done, I get someone on the phone who is supposed to be able to close you in my place.
And merchants don't want to talk to me about these services anyhow. The popular saying is that it's my job to turn shoppers into buyers. These people are not shoppers. In order to even get me through the door the call center will resort to all the things I mentioned above of my own and then even to downright fraudulent representation of what I am there to do and who I represent or even falsely setting appointments just to get an appointment on the books. I have walked through the door and have been expected to be a representative of a current processor or bank, a courier just dropping off papers, to a repair man just coming to do an upgrade to a machine.
Normally I am very good at diffusing situations, disarming personalities and calming things down. Typically even under the worse circumstances I can still end a meeting by being told "it's not you. You are very pleasant and I am sorry to waste your time." or "I like you, if I was going to buy it would be from you, but..."

On other occasions I have had merchants walk away from me, forcibly push me out of their establishments, throw things, been cursed at physically threatened, and even once had the police called while I was following established sales tactics of the company.
In addition to all of this, I can not be perfectly confident the company is providing the services that I am selling. There are an ever increasing number of reports on the internet, complaints filed, and posts saying that they are not. Many of them I can read and dismiss as poor salesman not fully explaining things, some could simply be clerical or accounting errors, and honestly, some just bitter rival companies or ex employees. But I have lost a greater number of sales than I have made because of the online reputation. And I have lost several simply because of the must badger into a signature today or it's gone methodology. However, if given time to think, people will not sign. That should be another red flag. If it is not good enough that a person should be able to consider it fully, then there is something amiss.

But everything about everything, from what I feel are unethical, immoral, and borderline illegal appointment setting and sales practices, to the wording and penalties, the hidden costs in the 14 page sales contract (which is very explicitly explained in *training to be just rammed through and not let the merchant read in entirety) is shady and counter to my ethical nature.

And I have continued doing this for nearly 12 weeks now. At first I was able to swallow it. After all, I really didn't understand it all myself. My *training to sell this product consisted of very little to almost zero on the actual product that I pitch. Rather it was nearly two full days of how to walk in, make a friend, call someone else and how to make a sale without even having a full explanation of what I was selling. I had two days of watching privately posted videos on youtube, some conference calls, and a guide of paperwork that I was supposed to carry with me at all times so that I can just fill mine out exactly to match. Originally I asked repeatedly to have the holes in my training filled in and those requests were either never answered or filled with empty promises of "we'll get that to you." And despite the lacks in my knowledge, I was deemed prepared to enter the field. After all, I didn't really need to know all the ins and outs, I simply needed to know how to make a friend, explain a certain pitch and get someone else on the phone, then write papers. I was in a desperate position, the potential pay could not be ignored, and so I did it. Desperate men do desperate things.

And I have paid for it. I have gone further in the whole financially. I have taken out a title loan on my car which is the only real possession I even had left after the unfortunate events of late last year. I did so because I felt I could make this job work. I HAD to make this work. By my calculations it has effectively, or in the end will effectively, cost me 3-4 thousand dollars more than I have made during this tenure. If I had been able to make XX number of sales per week I would have succeeded. But there were a great many things, some I have already explained here, that have prevented me from being successful. In some ways, I have stood against myself because I just couldn't conform. And part of me says I need to keep pressing because the possibility is there. But it's not. I wise man should know when to cut his loses.

And as I haven't been performing anyhow, I believe the company is turning my out anyhow. I have been reassigned to a new manager. They have stopped making appointments for me. I am told that my previous manager has been either dismissed or given the opportunity to return to the field. I don't know what all the truth is regarding that. But I know I am expected to get on another plane on Sunday, do another two weeks moving from different cities in another state, and I can't afford to go. I am currently minus 1300 dollars in my bank account with bills coming up and no ability to make that trip, cover costs or income pending. Unless I could make a ton of sales in one day.
My current average is a little less than one sale per week. It's not going to happen... again, wise man should know when to cut his loses.

So now that I have posted a wall of text, yet I know there are still many holes in it, I have got my thoughts in order and I am prepared now to resign. Venturing out into the job market... again. To those who have read this, thank you for letting me get this off my chest.

Wow, sounds like you may be making the right decision to get out of that line of work man. Good luck.

If it feels like a pile of shit, smells like a pile of shit, looks like a pile of shit... a wise man would not stay in it. You're doing the right thing, brother, no matter how precarious it may make you feel. Your company is sketchy, and is putting you out there to be the fall guy for them, and would likely offer no protection whatsoever in the event of legal issues.

Pull the handle and bail out, ASAP.

It seems to me that even with that limited insight, your best move may well be to resign. I'm sorry to hear it - you have all my sympathy.

Dave

Staff member
I can not sell anything unless I believe in it fully. Sounds to me like you can't. For your own piece of mind, leaving may be the best thing for you.

It is not so much the line of work. I can find that i actually like sales. But sales of a product and a company that i can get behind. I don't feel I can here

To be fair, one reason I have stayed as long as I have, aside from the simple need to make it work, was that on the surface, to me, the company always treated me well. I say this, yet I have never even met face to face another employee of the company.

I have met a lot of great people, merchants who initially never wanted to talk to me but I have been able to turn that situation around and get to know them, and some great businesses. Met some very interesting people, learned a lot of interesting things, had some great experiences.

But it's a commission position. No sales, no pay. Some very tough weeks of barely scrapping food and gas money. The life of sales, paying my dues.

As for not having my back if something went wrong, lets just say I have recently come across some reports of former sales people being sued by the merchants that they have signed up. I don't know how true it is, but the reports are there. And the pieces fit. I am an "independent contractor", 1099 employee. The company is nearly untouchable through the presenting of the contract, how they expect me to push it down, and through their legal team. It could seem an easy step to push all blame to me if there ever was some. Hence you might have noticed how I have glazed over certain details because I'm not entirely sure what would happen with full disclosure. Not only could I fear the potential fallout, but it would likely also sound fairly slanted since this is in the end an attempt for myself to reconcile with my current situation.

I do have stories of great experiences, perhaps as it passes I will share a couple of those as well. But for now, I just got off the phone with my new manager and told him that it was time for me to cut my losses and go. So ya, developing story.

What, are you dealing arms for the CIA?
My "application" to the company consisted of answering a very vague ad on craigslist that promised amazing pay potential and company paid travel. No explanation of who they were or what they sold. I fully expected it to be a scam. I didn't even attach a resume, merely replied I would be interested in hearing more. And then I didn't hear anything for about a week and had nearly forgotten entirely about it until I received a call out of the blue.

Still, no application, no real resume, simply attention do this online onboarding, fill out some stuff for a background check, and wait to be sent further instruction. by the way, name of the company is ....

I wasn't being asked for money, I did a little research and saw that at least the company appeared legit, did not delve fully into the reviews.

Training was done remotely. For the first week the only contact with a voice was my manager (my handler?) everything else was done through email and etc.

Daily conference calls began later. Those consisted of being given a number to call into, a code to enter, then mute your phone, wait for instruction basically.

I get paid by wire transfer from a "sending bank"

so, yea, I think dealing arms for the CIA is pretty close similarities in some ways. Maybe I will explore that for my next employment. I think the sales would be easier. At least there I would be turning shoppers into buyers. With merchant processing, basically the sale is offering to kick a merchant in the teeth, but I promise I won't do it as hard as the last guy. Sign here.

I have been in a couple similarly structured sales positions in the past. I tried them, lost faith, and failed, and yet I still did it again about a decade later. I have to say that, in each case, the future looked bright, but it quickly became obvious that unless I was willing to put in 6-12hrs/day (not counting mileage), I was not going to turn a profit. At the time, I felt like a failure, but all I feel now is relief.

--Patrick

I know I'm bailing out of the pharm industry, but honestly, you should look into sales for biotech. If you can pull off a sale a week for that horseshit company, you could easily get into sales for the biotech industry, selling instruments and such.

Check out Thermo-Fisher. They have sites all over the world.

Hell, if you enjoy sales - check out your local car dealerships. A good salesman at a reputable dealer can make good bank.

If a job is costing you more than you're making and it's not even your own business, it's not employment; it's bullshit. You seem to be making the right call.