Reporters in N Korea pardoned

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the highest station he can hold then? If so, give the man that job, all the others are hacks like Kurtz.

Am I the only one that, upon reading "private mission" immediately pictured Bill doing a James Bond type action all over Korea? The dude's already halfway there, when it comes to the women.

Hold on. Why can't Bill Clinton run for President again? Is it the impeachment thing? If he wasn't removed from office, I would have figured that meant he could run again. But I'm Canadian. I don't really know how it works.

With regards to Bill being awesome ... I basically grew up enough to understand politics right around when the Sex scandal was going on. As a result, I've always seen Bill Clinton as a joke of a human being. But after coming farther in my political maturity, and looking back at his presidency ... the man did a damn good job.

The only really negative thing I've heard about Bill Clinton, is that I have heard the problem in Rwanda essentially being blamed on his inaction. I've never taken the time to investigate whether there's merit to this. If that's the case, it's a huge black mark against him, but he's still a winning president in my books.

Rob King said:
Hold on. Why can't Bill Clinton run for President again? Is it the impeachment thing? If he wasn't removed from office, I would have figured that meant he could run again. But I'm Canadian. I don't really know how it works.
He served two terms in office, that's the max you can do as president.

Shakey said:
Rob King said:
Yup. The only president who served more than two was FDR (he actually served four), and then the 22nd Amendment was passed in 1951.

Shakey said:
Rob King said:
Weird. I was always under the impression that a president could do as many terms as he's elected, but no more than two consecutively.

I must be thinking of something else.

Rob King said:
Shakey said:
[quote="Rob King":35cdasup]Hold on. Why can't Bill Clinton run for President again? Is it the impeachment thing? If he wasn't removed from office, I would have figured that meant he could run again. But I'm Canadian. I don't really know how it works.
Weird. I was always under the impression that a president could do as many terms as he's elected, but no more than two consecutively.

I must be thinking of something else.[/quote:35cdasup]
I think thats how it works in Russia.

blotsfan said:
Rob King said:
Shakey said:
[quote="Rob King":16k5xten]Hold on. Why can't Bill Clinton run for President again? Is it the impeachment thing? If he wasn't removed from office, I would have figured that meant he could run again. But I'm Canadian. I don't really know how it works.

I must be thinking of something else.
I think thats how it works in Russia.[/quote:16k5xten]

And only after Putin... (if i remember right, though that might have just been something someone tried here...).

Also, wasn't it Washington who decided to just step down after 2 terms?!

@Li3n said:
Indeed. Man probably could have become King or president for life, but chose to step down after two terms. IIRC, that presidential precedent was followed until FDR (who had World War II and the Great Depression as an excuse :p). It was fairly controversial, again IIRC, when Teddy Roosevelt tried for a third term with his "Bull Moose Party".

[url=http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.amendmentxxii.html said:
The U.S. Constitution[/url]]Amendment XXII

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.
Section 2 is just ratification information and requirements.

I am glad the people are safe, but should we be bailing people out for being stupid? It sends the wrong message to the rest of the stupid people. Don't go to N. Korea, Iran/Iraq, Compton, Watts, etc. I thought that would be common sense.

I'll keep the rest of my political comments to myself.

Dorko said:
@Li3n said:
Indeed. Man probably could have become King or president for life, but chose to step down after two terms. IIRC, that presidential precedent was followed until FDR (who had World War II and the Great Depression as an excuse :p). It was fairly controversial, again IIRC, when Teddy Roosevelt tried for a third term with his "Bull Moose Party".
Washington saw himself as the modern Cincinatus, serve for a short time and move back to the farm when the Emergency was over. His subordinates felt the same way and followed the precedent/president when they gained office.

FDR elected 4 times served 3. The controversy was that FDR had nearly the dictatorial powers of Hitler, Mussolini and Tojo. He represented a Democratic Nation but hanging on to power so long looked bad for the nation. (I am still a big fan of FDR)

TR was only elected once, but he served the majority of McKinley's term. So he served a little over 7 years. He stepped down to let his protege Taft take over. Taft turned out to be an old school big money Republican, not the Reform Candidate that TR thought he was. So TR ran again, split the Party vote and put Wilson in office.

W

WolfOfOdin

Say what you will of Clinton, but Bill is near god-like when it comes to diplomacy and making impossible situations work when they shouldn't.

About loosing face/breaking down:

Any mission with North Korea by a US official at this point can be construed as a 'private' mission. Why? We don't have an embassy in North Korea, and thus have no true diplomatic relations with them, thus no diplomatic immunity for our folks. That in and of itself is a MASSIVE negative to an official mission by anyone who isn't high enough up to be missed if they have an 'accident'.

Currently we have to use the Swiss Embassy/United Nations to actually talk to North Korea in official ways.

A

Alex B.

bhamv3 said:
Shawnacy said:
Mr_Chaz said:
Shawnacy said:
I think there is more to this than just Bill's impressive negotiation skills.
You think he did what to Kim?
As funny as that would be if it were true...
I was inferring that N. Korea has a hidden agenda for releasing the prisoners. Probably to gain false sympathy.
I doubt anyone would feel sympathetic towards North Korea no matter what they did, but I can't help but also wonder what Bill offered in exchange for the reporters.
It's probably so they can look magnanimous and seem like good guys. I doubt they wanted to keep the prisoners for long. All we had to do was give them an opportunity to look like they weren't jerks.

Shawnacy said:
Mr_Chaz said:
Shawnacy said:
I think there is more to this than just Bill's impressive negotiation skills.
You think he did what to Kim?
As funny as that would be if it were true...
I was inferring that N. Korea has a hidden agenda for releasing the prisoners. Probably to gain false sympathy.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdug6yHJB40&feature=related:3pdugsda][/youtube:3pdugsda]

drawn_inward said:
I am glad the people are safe, but should we be bailing people out for being stupid? It sends the wrong message to the rest of the stupid people. Don't go to N. Korea, Iran/Iraq, Compton, Watts, etc. I thought that would be common sense.

I'll keep the rest of my political comments to myself.
If I remember correctly, there was some confusion as to where they were arrested, and I don't think it was in North Korean territory. If it turns out they'd gone into North Korea, then yeah...their own stupidity, they should pay for it. However, North Korea has a nasty little history of kidnappings in decidedly NOT North Korean territory (such as Denmark and Spain): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese

I doubt they'd have qualms kidnapping somebody within a few miles of their border.

HowDroll said:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdug6yHJB40&feature=related:w2ziscue][/youtube:w2ziscue]
Damn Droll, you remind me why I miss you with every epic post like that. :uhhuh: :thumbsup:

Shegokigo said:
HowDroll said:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdug6yHJB40&feature=related:1g4ne1ax][/youtube:1g4ne1ax]
Damn Droll, you remind me why I miss you with every epic post like that. :uhhuh: :thumbsup:

I'm a workin' gal now, and it isn't in some cushy office job where I can browse HF all day either :hump:

Alex B. said:
It's probably so they can look magnanimous and seem like good guys. I doubt they wanted to keep the prisoners for long. All we had to do was give them an opportunity to look like they weren't jerks.
I will never read another of your posts again, as long as that GIF is in your sig. It's too distracting.

For those of you who argued with me when I was vociferous about my views that these two broke the law and were paying for it, I'll take your apology and admitting that I was right all along in small, non-sequential, unmarked bills.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/07/journa ... index.html

Two U.S. journalists pardoned and freed by North Korea did cross illegally into that country, the sister of one of the women said.

\"She did say that they touched North Korean territory very, very briefly,\" Lisa Ling, sister of Laura Ling, told CNN on Thursday.

\"It was something that they were never planning to do originally,\" Lisa Ling said. \"I mean, I said this before, when they left U.S. soil, they never intended to cross into North Korea. She said it was maybe 30 seconds. And then, you know, everything just sort of got chaotic.\"

Ling said her sister intends soon to fully tell her tale.
Good for Clinton, but had they had to stay the whole time in prison it would have served them right.

Edrondol said:
For those of you who argued with me when I was vociferous about my views that these two broke the law and were paying for it, I'll take your apology and admitting that I was right all along in small, non-sequential, unmarked bills.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/07/journa ... index.html

Two U.S. journalists pardoned and freed by North Korea did cross illegally into that country, the sister of one of the women said.

\"She did say that they touched North Korean territory very, very briefly,\" Lisa Ling, sister of Laura Ling, told CNN on Thursday.

\"It was something that they were never planning to do originally,\" Lisa Ling said. \"I mean, I said this before, when they left U.S. soil, they never intended to cross into North Korea. She said it was maybe 30 seconds. And then, you know, everything just sort of got chaotic.\"

Ling said her sister intends soon to fully tell her tale.
Good for Clinton, but had they had to stay the whole time in prison it would have served them right.
For some reason I'm not finding it Ed. I remember somebody saying it though.

I argued with Ed, though my point was that the punishment didn't fit the crime. I didn't dispute they broke North Korean law, since I didn't know whether they did or not.

Yeah, I agree with Ed that they broke the law, but kicking them out of the country sounds like a more fitting punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.