Reporters in N Korea pardoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
Oh, thank God.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8184583.stm

North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has issued a special pardon to two detained US journalists.

Laura Ling and Euna Lee had been found guilty of entering illegally in March.

The news came hours after former US President Bill Clinton made an unannounced visit to Pyongyang on what was described as a private mission.

Mr Clinton has now flown out of North Korea with the two journalists on a plane bound for Los Angeles, his spokesman says.

Mr Clinton is the highest-profile American to visit since ex-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright in 2000.
I was expecting something like this to happen, but you never know. I'm so happy they get to go home to their families!

T

Twitch

I'm glad to hear they were released and I'm glad the U.S. government didn't get officially involved.

I'm definitely glad the US didn't lose any negotiating leverage or anything like that to get these idiots pardoned.

blotsfan said:
I'm definitely glad the US didn't lose any negotiating leverage or anything like that to get these idiots pardoned.
How do you lose negotiating leverage with a country you haven't talked to in 9 years?

G

Gkbur

You really can't lose or gain any negotiating leverage with a country who's leader could instantly switch from wanting to destroy his southern neighbor to wanting to dance around like a monkey.

Bumble the Boy Wonder said:
Krisken said:
blotsfan said:
How do you lose negotiating leverage with a country you haven't talked to in 9 years?
You break down and talk to them.
Hm, I think I understand the last 8 years now.

(sticks fingers in ears) la la la la la! (/sticks fingers in ears)

Ah, I see! Thanks Bumble!

Yeah, but on the crazy off-chance that future diplomacy is possible, it's good nothing occurred to make it even less likely.

All I'm going to say is that I'm glad they were released. I ain't getting involved any further in the conversation. Not after last time :paranoid:

ZenMonkey said:
Yeah, but on the crazy off-chance that future diplomacy is possible, it's good nothing occurred to make it even less likely.
Oh no doubt. I support this whole heartedly. I'm a big fan of discussion instead of shouting or silence.

Or, as Fark put it, Clinton picks up two Asian chicks!

I'm glad to know they're free now though. Kudos to Bill Clinton, kudos indeed.

Btw, do we know for sure nothing was given up in exchange for their release? Clinton might not be a government official, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't there as an official emissary for the US government.

Krisken said:
Krisken said:
blotsfan said:

So when did Clinton go to visit them when he was Pres....

Anyway, I don't think Bill ever went there without a full guarantee that they would come back. A former president who is married to the Secretary of State. This was a huge PR plus for NK without us losing face.

H

Heavan

Shegokigo said:
ZenMonkey said:
Shegokigo said:
Seriously, why'd we ever let Bill out of office?
Damn 22nd Amendment...
Couldn't have put it better myself! :humph:
There was also, you know, that sex thing. He was nearly impeached. Sex scandal...

Aw, who am I kidding :( . Miss you always Bill :heart:

Mr_Chaz said:
Shawnacy said:
I think there is more to this than just Bill's impressive negotiation skills.
You think he did what to Kim?
As funny as that would be if it were true...
I was inferring that N. Korea has a hidden agenda for releasing the prisoners. Probably to gain false sympathy.

Shawnacy said:
Mr_Chaz said:
Shawnacy said:
I think there is more to this than just Bill's impressive negotiation skills.
You think he did what to Kim?
As funny as that would be if it were true...
I was inferring that N. Korea has a hidden agenda for releasing the prisoners. Probably to gain false sympathy.
I doubt anyone would feel sympathetic towards North Korea no matter what they did, but I can't help but also wonder what Bill offered in exchange for the reporters.

Shakey said:
Krisken said:
Krisken said:

Ooooh... burrrrrrrrn...

Seriously though, this is great news.

To echo the previous thread...

The bitches deserved it. Getting released that is. I wish I remembered what my prediction was on the other thread, I think four months. So I was a little off?

How soon will Iran release the 3 American Spies picked up this weekend? I mean hikers.

Espy said:
Shakey said:
Krisken said:

Ooooh... burrrrrrrrn...

Seriously though, this is great news.
I didn't say anything about a president, so it really isn't a burn. It does have to do with the policy of an administration.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Bill Clinton owns. Glad they're back, that was a pretty scary thing.

Bill Clinton is something else, what a hero di niro. Great job.

I know he can't be President again but can he be Vice-Prez or something?

T

Twitch

SeriousJay said:

No, I think you have to be eligible for the presidency.

SeriousJay said:

Nope. To be Vice President, you have to be eligible to be president.

Status
Not open for further replies.