Renaming of Politics R Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps we should get this renamed to something more Generic. We're getting threads in General that should probably be in Politics R Us to begin with, or wind up there anyway (Is Healthcare a right?).

Perhaps something like "Political/Current Events" would make it more clear what should be there and what should be in General.

I think part of it is the perception that if it goes in the politics section, it's "let's get ready to rumble!" time, as opposed to "let us reflect on the state of the world" time.

If you just wanted to post about something interesting in China/France/Texas or something, you may post it in General just to keep the political bickering out of it.

maybe I'm just being a fatist, but I find that being in General doesn't stop a thread with a Political topic from getting political.

Not saying every thread about a current even needs to be in Politics R Us, just that its annoying watching OP's get annoyed about their thread on a Political Figure, or current Political issue becoming a heated debate on the topic.

C

Chibibar

most of the time we (the forum) can "usually" get couple of pages before it get into "flamefest" I think mainly some of the hot buttons and such.

maybe I'm just being a fatist, but I find that being in General doesn't stop a thread with a Political topic from getting political.
Of course not, but I feel like the assumption is that if you put a thread in the politics section, you're guaranteeing that it will turn into a flamewar, because it's expected.

As the OP who got annoyed (Is health care a right), it was purely because I wanted to discuss, well, the question in the OP, and it turned into the debate about US health care, which I really wanted to avoid, since that frequently turns into the "no, your ideas suck" conversations that I generally avoid the politics section for in the first place.

EDIT: And I think the name is fine. Politics can go into there. Regular current events that are not meant to necessarily spark a debate can go in general IMHO and get moved as needed.

C

Chibibar

As the OP who got annoyed (Is health care a right), it was purely because I wanted to discuss, well, the question in the OP, and it turned into the debate about US health care, which I really wanted to avoid, since that frequently turns into the "no, your ideas suck" conversations that I generally avoid the politics section for in the first place.

EDIT: And I think the name is fine. Politics can go into there. Regular current events that are not meant to necessarily spark a debate can go in general IMHO and get moved as needed.
plus Healthcare is a subject close to everyone's heart. Each and every one of us either have been to a doctor, hospital, or at least know someone who has and probably experience or know someone who got "raped" by the medical bills.

I know when my wife didn't have coverage at the time (she was my g/f and doing contract work) I couldn't get her on mine and she accidentally cut her hand with a knife (it was display but it was sharp) it cost us 1500$ in emergency room fees just to get like 2 stitches :(

Unfortunately it's an exercise in futility to post a thread around here with the expectation that it will go the way you want. That'sh the Halforumsh way. /connery

Status
Not open for further replies.