Red Flag Windows for China

I didn't make up that label. It's a play on "Red Flag Linux" which has been a thing for a while:
Red Flag Windows: Microsoft modifies Windows OS for Chinese government

It's news, hence why putting it here, but it's still weird. Now all the tracking in Win10 will go to Beijing as well as Redmond? If you type in "Falun Gong" or "Tienanmen Square 1989" your computer shuts down?

What's next for Microsoft, Win10 North Korean Edition? All images come up as the Leader? Win10 Taliban Edition, if you start watching Football (Soccer) you get a popup that you're going to hell? Where do you want your OS to go today?

I really debated posting this in politics, or here, but it's intensely tech-related. If a mod thinks it should be in the other forum, go for it.

Where the thread ends up probably depends on where it goes. China's had to have its own version of many things (software AND hardware) due to their giant population's influence and their notoriously different rules about intellectual property.

--Patrick

I didn't make up that label. It's a play on "Red Flag Linux" which has been a thing for a while:
Red Flag Windows: Microsoft modifies Windows OS for Chinese government

It's news, hence why putting it here, but it's still weird. Now all the tracking in Win10 will go to Beijing as well as Redmond? If you type in "Falun Gong" or "Tienanmen Square 1989" your computer shuts down?

What's next for Microsoft, Win10 North Korean Edition? All images come up as the Leader? Win10 Taliban Edition, if you start watching Football (Soccer) you get a popup that you're going to hell? Where do you want your OS to go today?

I really debated posting this in politics, or here, but it's intensely tech-related. If a mod thinks it should be in the other forum, go for it.

The article says its for government computers, not the domestic purchased ones. As far as I'm concerned, if the Chinese government wants a custom OS for government computers, I could live with it. I mean, unless I'm missing something here.

The article says its for government computers, not the domestic purchased ones. As far as I'm concerned, if the Chinese government wants a custom OS for government computers, I could live with it. I mean, unless I'm missing something here.
The way I interpret it, they're wanting a de-NSA'd version of Windows. Sounds reasonable enough.

Ya but it's also anything INTERACTING with government computers for contracts and such. So how long until you need a "government approved" OS to interact with them in any way? And then it's illegal to NOT have such a computer...

This is the last HUGE one-party state in the world, with the very-well-named "Great Firewall of China." Nothing is out of the realm of possibility with them.

I personally would love a version of Windows X for American consumers that has all of the spyware stripped out.

I personally would love a version of Windows X for American consumers that has all of the spyware stripped out.
Sure, but it's "spyware for MS (and possibly US govt)" or "spyware for China". Pick one if you still want Windows X. Lack thereof is not an option while staying with WinX.

Sure, but it's "spyware for MS (and possibly US govt)" or "spyware for China". Pick one if you still want Windows X. Lack thereof is not an option while staying with WinX.
Assuming equal level of monitoring, I'd rather be spied on by China, personally. Their enforcement apparatus is quite a ways away, compared to the U.S.'