Export thread

Ravenpoe knows what's up. Pt2 (PSY's Gentlemen)

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Original:

I told you all in the Call Me Maybe thread this was gonna blow up ;)

Props to Ravenpoe for knowing what's up.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I've still managed to never hear "Call Me Maybe" ever.
I didn't manage to escape this one.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I've still managed to never hear "Call Me Maybe" ever.
I didn't manage to escape this one.
Seems like win-win to me.

bhamv3

bhamv3

One day far in the future, archeologists will be studying the remnants of our civilization, and will come across this song, and conclude we were a world of morons.

This song sucks and it's annoying as hell and the dance is stupid and I can't get it out of my head ARGH...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Even Simon Cowell says it's brilliant. Who are YOU to disagree with that?!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Even Simon Cowell says it's brilliant. Who are YOU to disagree with that?!
Simon Cowell couldn't recognize Ant and Dec if they dressed up as white trash wannabe rappers and sang a girl's song, so I'd say my judgment is better than his.

Humph.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

If that guy had come on one of Simon Cowell's 100 shows that are all exactly the same, he wouldn't have made it past the audition stage with that song. Simon Cowell's forced to say it's good because its popular right now.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Or he recognizes it as the genius that it is. However, this is PSY's 6th Album release so it's definitely going to be a one-hit wonder for him. Still, the catchy-ness is obvious and his tongue in cheek spoof style is amazing.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm Ravenpoe, and I approve of this thread.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I can't stop listening to this song.

Help me.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Nope, still can't stand it. Shitty techno is shitty.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

It's ok Bowielee, not everyone can have taste ;)

Gusto

Gusto

Jay

Jay

Goatse ruined me.[DOUBLEPOST=1347455666][/DOUBLEPOST]
CccKp.gif

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Simon Cowell couldn't recognize Ant and Dec if they dressed up as white trash wannabe rappers and sang a girl's song, so I'd say my judgment is better than his.

Humph.

Simon Cowell's big success before Pop Idol, was recordings of WWE wrestlers singing pop songs...

He has no taste, but he can make money.

Tress

Tress

One day far in the future, archeologists will be studying the remnants of our civilization, and will come across this song, and conclude we were a world of morons.

This song sucks and it's annoying as hell and the dance is stupid and I can't get it out of my head ARGH...
Nope, still can't stand it. Shitty techno is shitty.
If that guy had come on one of Simon Cowell's 100 shows that are all exactly the same, he wouldn't have made it past the audition stage with that song. Simon Cowell's forced to say it's good because its popular right now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Much as I like bloodhound gang, the bad touch doesn't really work with gangnam.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I would have made that show so much better.

Jay

Jay

Ravenpoe is so gansta with his beard.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

So Gangnam just topped iTunes and is now PSY is signing with Schoolboy Records. First Korean to have a #1 Single in Korea as well as the US at the same time.
Man did I call this shit or what?

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/psys-gangnam-style-now-1-on-us-itunes-singles-char/69155/

drifter

drifter

Yeah, you really went out on a limb there.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Yeah, you really went out on a limb there.
I called it when PSY had about 8,000 views. So yeah, it was a Korean youtube video with little exposure. I simply stumbled across it one day and just knew if it got spread around a bit, it'd be huge.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I tried listening to this and shut it off around the first minute mark.

Why is this generic shit so popular?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I may disagree with your opinion but hey, music is relative.

Oh and much like Lady GaGa, PSY is more about the show and style than the music.

drifter

drifter

I'm just giving you a hard time because you're bragging about something so trivial. It was already well on it's way to being huge when you 'called it.' It was positively erumpent on Reddit, which is how I even heard about the darn thing.

Jay

Jay

I tried listening to this and shut it off around the first minute mark.

Why is this generic shit so popular?
Then you missed the awesomeness of the video.

Son, I am disappoint.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'm just giving you a hard time because you're bragging about something so trivial. It was already well on it's way to being huge when you 'called it.' It was positively erumpent on Reddit, which is how I even heard about the darn thing.
I'm so sorry, you've shown me the error of my ways. I'm so sad I was bragging about trivial matters. I'll focus on changing the world instead. Thank you for that eye opening response.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

pff I liked Gangnam Style before it was cool, I saw it when it had 7,999 views

*glasses fall onto face from the sky, Gilgamesh shatters into a million pieces*

drifter

drifter

The passive aggressive is strong with this one. Hey, do what you like, I just think bragging about it is multiple times is annoying.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Noone is surprised that you'd take the hipster route Charlie ;)

drifter - In case you didn't realize it, since I posted it in response to Charlie's music thread, I've been -bragging- because it laughs in the face of all this mainstream pop music that's generic and copied over and over again. Lady GaGa and now PSY are just a couple in a long line of artists that poke fun at that very existence of music typecasting. If you honestly thought I was bragging because I -lol discovered it before it was popular hur hur let me take a sip of my Pabst Blue Ribbon- then I'm sorry it went over your head :)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I saw it when it had 8,001 views...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I called it when PSY had about 8,000 views. So yeah, it was a Korean youtube video with little exposure. I simply stumbled across it one day and just knew if it got spread around a bit, it'd be huge.
this seems like earnest bragging and you're just backpedaling, dude

I was obviously making fun of that shit, despite my hipster tendencies, I'm super late to popular stuff ( or not popular stuff ) and I think that 'before it was cool' attitude is lame (hence me calling you out)

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

this seems like earnest bragging and you're just backpedaling, dude

I was obviously making fun of that shit, despite my hipster tendencies, I'm super late to popular stuff ( or not popular stuff ) and I think that 'before it was cool' attitude is lame (hence me calling you out)
Call it whatever you like :)
I've admitted and have no problems doing so when I'm wrong on something. (See my post with NickGuy and his review on Sucker Punch, I was more than happy to say I was wrong)

drifter

drifter

drifterIf you honestly thought I was bragging because I -lol discovered it before it was popular hur hur let me take a sip of my Pabst Blue Ribbon- then I'm sorry it went over your head :)
Man did I call this shit or what?

Still bragging. Still annoying.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Still bragging. Still annoying.
You're completely entitled to your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Let's get this thread back on track, discussing how awesome I am.

That's what it was originally about, right?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Yep, that was the intention when I made it.

Oh shit now I'm bragging about having made the thread.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I posted that Poe was cool way before you were even a member.

Poser!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I posted that Poe was cool way before you were even a member.

Poser!
I got served.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Back on topic, this song still sucks. It's the musical equivalent of a fast food joint like Macdonalds, if Macdonalds had gotten rid of its entire menu and only served styrofoam, lightly flavored with specks of gunpowder. Sure, maybe no one's done it before. But it still sucks.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Holy shit

Nearly 200 million views. More than almost any -popular- single out right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Just saw he's hitting SNL too:
http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../gangnam-style-on-snl/70000464/1#.UFct5o2PUcM

And being nominated for best Video at the EMA awards:
http://uk.mtvema.com/artists/psy

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

the part where he screams at a woman's ass is p hilarious

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Agreed.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was won by the elevator scene, where an asian Mike Myers was doing a dance over top of him

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

CLARIFICATION: I wrote this kind of flippantly where it could be seen as me not meaning this

I MEAN THIS, it's really fucking funny and I laughed

Gusto

Gusto

The scene that makes me laugh every time is the one where he's on a boat.

It's the lifejacket, gets me every time.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I gave the video a shot. The video itself is pretty funny.

Best thing is that it led me to this video:

It is the most westernized J-Pop video I've ever seen.

But that's not the good part. Second comment in the comments section:

Mute on
Pants Down
Lets Go

Jay

Jay

What the fuck did I just watch for the entire 3:35 duration?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What the fuck did I just watch for the entire 3:35 duration?
For the cute Oriental girl?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

For the cute Oriental girl?
I believe oriental is considered offensive, so she'd be the cute asian girl. From my understanding, oriental is used to describe things (ie oriental rug) and not people.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Huh. If it wasn't in another language, that would have been indistinguishable from standard american pop.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Huh. If it wasn't in another language, that would have been indistinguishable from standard american pop.
You're an old man Mr. Gasbandit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You're an old man Mr. Gasbandit.
I've got garlic in my soul.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh dear god. Somebody did it. Aauuuughh.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Oh dear god. Somebody did it. Aauuuughh.
Well that's one way to ruin an awesome song. inb4lolcallmemaybeistheawesomesong

LordRendar

LordRendar

Holy hell.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

What'd I tell you?

Honey Boo Boo runs America and the masses!

Half-Related note:

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Yep, Space Jam + Gangnam

GasBandit

GasBandit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Okay, look, I gave this video a second chance. I actually watched through the whole thing this time.

And I still don't see what's so great about it. Yeah, the video has a lot of silly, over the top things going on. Their impact was lessened for me, though, since I've seen animated gifs and various memes already sprouting out from them. So, is it the video? Is it the song? I mean, I can at least sort of see "Call Me Maybe" because it's catchy. This just sounds like a generic techno something or other you'd hear at the club. I don't see what's so great about it.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Think Lady GaGa if she were a Korean Guy and you'll get it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Except Gaga at least has lyrics that can be sung along to. Given that this is all in Japanese, that's not really possible except for "Gungham Style!" and "Sexy Lady!" or something.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Korean.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Except Gaga at least has lyrics that can be sung along to. Given that this is all in Japanese, that's not really possible except for "Gungham Style!" and "Sexy Lady!" or something.
The point is over the top showmanship and catchy beats trump lyrics. Singing along with Gaga's lyrics? Like about Papparazzis or the one about her Poker Face? Gaga was never about the lyrics.

New record:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/09/21/gangnam-style-youtube-most-liked-guinness-world-record/

Beating out LMFAO and Justin Beiber. Hell yes PSY!

Bowielee

Bowielee

The point is over the top showmanship and catchy beats trump lyrics. Singing along with Gaga's lyrics? Like about Papparazzis or the one about her Poker Face? Gaga was never about the lyrics.

New record:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/09/21/gangnam-style-youtube-most-liked-guinness-world-record/

Beating out LMFAO and Justin Beiber. Hell yes PSY!
I still don't understand people not paying attention to lyrics. I know most people don't care about them, but for me, it's usually what makes or breaks a song.

Papparazzi isn't about the actual papparazzi, it's a metaphor for obsession. Sure, it's not Bob Dylan, but a lot of her stuff isn't nearly as shallow as people think it is.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Given that I've had either David Bowie's "Dance Magic" or Billy Joel's "Piano Man" in my head lately, lyrics are important to me. I like singing along with songs.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I never said lyrics were not important. You were confused by why that video and PSY are so popular right now so I compared him to the nearest sensation that America had. Lady Gaga was more of a show person and video maker than deep lyrical master. That's where she fits in. Can she do good lyrical music? Hell yes. So can PSY (Watch his Patriotism for Korea Music Video).

My comparison was simply for Gangnam Style's popularity explanation.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Gotcha. I guess I still don't see what the big hullaballoo is.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

In all honesty, it's a fad that'll be gone soon sadly. PSY has alot of great work but as I said before, this was his 6th Album release and it's the first one he's getting the big acclaim for outside of Korea.

It's probably doomed to be another Macarena/LMFAO phase.

Vrii

Vrii

It's a catchy song with an entertaining video. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, I do think the video is funny, particularly the elevator scene.

Tress

Tress

The best part starts around 1:10.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

North Korea's turn!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Except Gaga at least has lyrics that can be sung along to.
That's part of the charm.

One of my favorite bands is a The Pillows, a Japanese alternative rock band. Why do I like them? The fact I can only understand a few of the English words they say makes the whole thing feel more harmonic and "unique" compared to the alternative rock I hear over here. If they forced the band to sing entirely in English, I probably wouldn't like the sound as much as wouldn't be a big fan.

PSY has the same charm for me. It's the fact I don't know what he is saying that makes it so catchy for me.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Best part is you can really tell he loves what he does, here's a video played over some his live concert footage.

Just watching him cheers me up.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Best part is you can really tell he loves what he does
He totally does. Wait for it...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

All right, I have to admit, I'm starting to warm up to this song. Which, honestly, happens to me a lot. I'll hear the latest super popular song and hate it at first. Then I slowly start to warm up to it...usually because I can't get it out of my head. But yeah, today, I was walking to the grocery today and couldn't get the song out of my head.

So not totally in love with it yet, but getting there. :D

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I can understand that, I wasn't fond of the Hyuna version:

but now I listen to it more than the original.

phil

phil

These made me giggle.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*sob* Goddammit, I've had this song stuck in my head all day. And I've played it a couple of times, too.

Now I understand what they mean by a catchy song: it's like a disease. And the only cure is to keep listening to it. :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

*sob* Goddammit, I've had this song stuck in my head all day. And I've played it a couple of times, too.

Now I understand what they mean by a catchy song: it's like a disease. And the only cure is to keep listening to it. :p
Cowbell?

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's part of the charm.

One of my favorite bands is a The Pillows, a Japanese alternative rock band. Why do I like them? The fact I can only understand a few of the English words they say makes the whole thing feel more harmonic and "unique" compared to the alternative rock I hear over here. If they forced the band to sing entirely in English, I probably wouldn't like the sound as much as wouldn't be a big fan.

PSY has the same charm for me. It's the fact I don't know what he is saying that makes it so catchy for me.
My favorite Japanese alternative rock band is Shonen Knife. But they sing in English. I'm just a lyric guy, I guess.

Jay

Jay

I can understand that, I wasn't fond of the Hyuna version:

but now I listen to it more than the original.
WTF is up with her voice?

UGGGGGHHHH

Pikachu in heels?

1:10 is brutal.... was that a THUMBS UP?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Great, thanks a lot, Jay. Now I'm going to get a boner every time I see Pikachu.

NO, THAT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE MY PROM NIGHT!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

It's not her real voice, it's a -mocking voice- to make fun of the -uppity people- from Gangnam in that video.

She's part of a singing group known as 4heart and is pretty talented.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Jay

Jay

*slowly unzips pants*

GasBandit

GasBandit

Why hello VIDEO I HAVE POSTED TWICE nice to see you again! :D

It's not her real voice, it's a -mocking voice- to make fun of the -uppity people- from Gangnam in that video.

She's part of a singing group known as 4heart and is pretty talented.
Ah, sort of like that episode of zero punctuation where yahtzee tried to do a south african accent for the whole episode and everybody just thought he had the flu.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Yep.

Jay

Jay

Welp, I'll be drinking.

QsgUe.jpg

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Someone just drove past my house blasting this song!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Someone just drove past my house blasting this song!
Sorry bout that, my AC was out so I had to roll down the windows.

Jay

Jay

hAidx.gif

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

GasBandit

GasBandit

I read that more high school juniors are fluent in Klingon than French.[DOUBLEPOST=1348858719][/DOUBLEPOST]

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I can't wait for the mom + Psy version!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

When did Korea obtain this kind of advanced groove technology?

Seriously, that was really good.

strawman

strawman

WHERE IS YOUR UP NOW RAVENPOE?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

See now, this is why I hate the internet sometimes. Not steinman's post, but the video parodies. The 'net takes something fun, makes it popular, then runs it into the ground to the point that you're sick of it within a month. I still like the song, but this is going to get old real fast.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

See now, this is why I hate the internet sometimes. Not steinman's post, but the video parodies. The 'net takes something fun, makes it popular, then runs it into the ground to the point that you're sick of it within a month. I still like the song, but this is going to get old real fast.
Says the "Sounds like my prom night" guy. Just sayin' :p

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Some of these parodies are amazing though, did you see my last video?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ehhhh go home and be a sexy lady.

Jay

Jay

My favorite so far.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Honestly I was a little let down there were no flash kicks. And a little miffed they didn't bother to animate the background sprites in guile's f16 level.

Jay

Jay

Psy throws a free “thank you” concert in Seoul. Seoul shits itself.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Bowielee

Bowielee

LFG has such fantastic art.... and such terrible writing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And you thought you were done with these? No way.

!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm actually amazed at how well this mash up works.

GasBandit

GasBandit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That would've funnier if there was no music and it was just Psy dancing down the hallway going, "Op! Op! Op!"

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

My God, what happened to this comic. There was a time I kind of wanted to know how the story would end, but with bullshit filler like this, I guess I'll just not worry about it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Great, thanks a lot, Jay. Now I'm going to get a boner every time I see Raichu.

NO, THAT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE MY PROM NIGHT!
Now it does.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

My God, what happened to this comic. There was a time I kind of wanted to know how the story would end, but with bullshit filler like this, I guess I'll just not worry about it.
The amount of filler for the past year has been horrid. Just horrid.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This is either the worst video I've seen this year...or the best video I've seen this year. All I know is I'm going to see this at least fifteen more times this week.

Telephius

Telephius

Adding another brick to this thread

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

jreacher
Can I come and hang out with you in Seoul?

PSY_Oppa
call me maybe

This is the single best thing on reddit ever.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Wow.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I was just about to turn this off, the the actual actor who played LoPan showed up. Well played...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

k36jD.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Jay

Jay

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

From the Reddit AMA thread:

"Why were you so mad at that girl's ass?"
"Because her ass was so mad."

....goddammit, I love this man.

Jay

Jay

GasBandit

GasBandit

She's got the stance wrong - her arms are together when they're supposed to be apart, but I don't mind for some reason...

fade

fade

I liked it (the original). You can't really listen to it without watching the video, though. That's like 90% of the appeal.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

portly South Korean
Portly?! Yeah, the dude isn't Skinny McThinSlim, but he's clearly in good shape.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Portly?! Yeah, the dude isn't Skinny McThinSlim, but he's clearly in good shape.
Remember, this is in comparison to tiny, tiny asian normality.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Remember, this is in comparison to tiny, tiny asian normality.
I thought all koreans looked like chubby cheeked Japanese?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Westerners also have an extremely skewed definition of thin/fat.

fade

fade

Hmm. Don't think I'd call the dude "portly", but I don't think I'd ever classify him as "in shape" either.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I'm just so happy to learn that he's a humble, clever artist, who's genuinely motivated by his work (while I don't think he MINDS the fame and cash, mind you), he would be an absolute TREAT to hang with and chat about various topics.

strawman

strawman

:rofl:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That Foley artist was impressive.

Gusto

Gusto

Damnit Ravenpoe you've led us all to our doom!

Jay

Jay

Damnit Ravenpoe you've led us all to our doom!

This is fantastic man.

BRILLIANT

Your reward

2 Emmas real close to each other.
gp0w8.jpg

Frank

Frank

Emma Watson really does make the troll face all the time.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

:troll:

Frank

Frank

I think this is the wrong thread.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

GO NAVY.

BEAT ARMY.

drifter

drifter

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Holy shit, Glee, way to shit that song up.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Geez. I normally like the Glee renditions but that just doesn't work.

strawman

strawman

This has shaken my belief that Ravenpoe knows what's up.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This has shaken my belief that Ravenpoe knows what's up.
Hey, I refuse to be held accountable for this. I stopped watching Glee like two seasons ago.

Jay

Jay

Just replace Glee with a Firefly reboot.

strawman

strawman

A teenage space musical comedy/drama?

Bowielee

Bowielee

My god, what have you wrought?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My god, what have you wrought?

I regret EVERYTHING!

strawman

strawman

All things considered, that's pretty quick turnaround based on sudden popularity.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's a real commercial? I thought it was a crappy joke video.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Eh, I don't know. I didn't think Glee's rendition was all that terrible.

Go ahead. Bring on the Disagrees.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Happy to oblige, you terrible person whose taste defines your whole character.

GasBandit

GasBandit

redx.jpg

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ohhh, not such toughy toughs now, are you, repliers? HA! I can disagree with your comments, too! Now's who's laughing?! Ho ho! The foot is definitely on the other shoe, now!

...wait.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ohhh, not such toughy toughs now, are you, repliers? HA! I can disagree with your comments, too! Now's who's laughing?! Ho ho! The foot is definitely on the other shoe, now!

...wait.
It will take at least 100 disagrees for your little Xs to equal my one big one.

strawman

strawman

It wasn't terrible. It wasn't any good though. Part of the problem, for me, was that the sound wasn't "big" enough, which is just a natural consequence of having a small choir perform it. There are a few other aspects of it that just made it uninteresting to me. It may not be bad in and of itself, but with all the other good versions of the song it doesn't stand out, and I wouldn't want to listen to it in preference to Psy's version, or many other covers of it.

It was like eating bland food. All one texture, and no interesting flavor. At least most other covers keep the hard stops in place, and you can tell there's a distinct difference between each phase of the song. Maybe too much legato? I wonder if it takes out the parts of the song that made it so interesting. It's one thing to copy the tune and words, but there's so much more to a song than just the basic tune and words.[DOUBLEPOST=1354557004][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is that Celsius or Fahrenheit?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Challenge accepted! Halforums? GET HIM!

drifter

drifter

Not your personal army.

Anonymous

Hah! Take that Nick!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well shit. :p

Jay

Jay

seZ8U.gif

Telephius

Telephius

It is not the size of your disagree that matters but how you use it and don't post the reasoning thereafter.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It is not the size of your disagree that matters but how you use it and don't post the reasoning thereafter.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, "If size doesn't matter, try cleaning your ear with a pool noodle instead of a Q-Tip."

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "If size doesn't matter, try cleaning your ear with a pool noodle instead of a Q-Tip."
As someone that just had to have a lot of impacted wax removed from both ears so I could hear again, I'm going to say a pool noodle is the safer option.

GasBandit

GasBandit

As someone that just had to have a lot of impacted wax removed from both ears so I could hear again, I'm going to say a pool noodle is the safer option.
Please share your ear cleaning experience with me, I think I might need it as well, and am curious as to how horrible the process is.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Please share your ear cleaning experience with me, I think I might need it as well, and am curious as to how horrible the process is.
It's not horrible. It doesn't hurt, there's no pain, it's just weird feeling as fuck and very uncomfortable.

And when it's over, you say "Holy shit, -that- much came out of my ear?"

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Who still uses Q-Tips?

That's where it's at!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Who still uses Q-Tips?

That's where it's at!
.... no.

But this works very well

GasBandit

GasBandit

Q-Tips feel SO GODDAMNED GOOD.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Whelp, it looks like Psy's american fame is over, since the country is now ready to shun him because of anti-american protest songs in his past.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07/psy-anti-american-past-performances_n_2257949.html

Jay

Jay

Big whoop.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Big whoop.
I'm not surprised by it. But you know it's going to get blown up big by media coverage. People love to turn shit political.

Gusto

Gusto

Better deport Green Day then.

Jay

Jay

But he's Korean... this was their only chance... he ruined it!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Better deport Green Day then.
If only we could. And not for their politics.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I have to say I'm a little shocked with the anti-US sentiment in South Korea. Since we make their high standard of living and freedom possible.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have to say I'm a little shocked with the anti-US sentiment in South Korea. Since we make their high standard of living and freedom possible.
GAWD, I HATE YOU MOM AND DAD, THIS IS THE 8GB IPOD I WANTED THE 16

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It looks like his feelings towards the US turned sour after a couple of korean schoolgirls were killed when they were hit by a US military vehicle, and the soldiers involved never faced any kinds of charges.

And then, of course, that whole Iraq War thing, when pretty much no one, including Americans, liked the US government. Well, except for maybe Toby Keith.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Bill O'Reilly spews his usual xenophobic idiocy.

Terrik

Terrik

I worked with Koreans on a day-to-day basis for over two years in China and it's not just anti-US sentiment, it's pretty much anti-anything that isn't Korean sentiment.

I don't agree with everything Bill O' says, but I wouldn't call him xenophobic. At least, not the xenophobia I'm familiar with.

Tress

Tress

"...without intelligible words..."

What a fucking idiot. Just because you can't speak Korean doesn't mean there aren't lyrics to the song, you fuckwit. My god, he's even more out of touch than I ever thought.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Bill O'Reilly is flippantly dismissive, but not xenophobic, at least not in any way shown by this video. The psychiatrist he brought on to 'analyze' the video though seems a little out of touch. His basic claim is that if a music video in another language gains popularity among an audience that doesn't speak the language, it must be popular because the audience is seeking something without meaning. But artistic works carry the meaning that we reflect onto them. He must really wonder why that Picasso fellow got so popular, his portraits don't even look like real people!

Terrik

Terrik

"...without intelligible words..."

What a fucking idiot. Just because you can't speak Korean doesn't mean there aren't lyrics to the song, you fuckwit. My god, he's even more out of touch than I ever thought.
Keith Ablow said that, not O'reilly.

There *might* be a teeny, tiny little point though. How many out of those near 1 billion people could understand the Korean lyrics? To most people the lyrics were indeed intelligible. My girlfriend speaks not a wit of English and listens to a lot of English music, mostly for the beat or rhythm or general sound of the song. When I saw the video, I too, got nothing from the lyrics. Maybe Korean speakers liked it for the lyrics, but a whole lot of other people liked it for other reasons.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Keith Ablow said that, not O'reilly.

There *might* be a teeny, tiny little point though. How many out of those near 1 billion people could understand the Korean lyrics? To most people the lyrics were indeed intelligible. My girlfriend speaks not a wit of English and listens to a lot of English music, mostly for the beat or rhythm or general sound of the song. When I saw the video, I too, got nothing from the lyrics. Maybe Korean speakers liked it for the lyrics, but a whole lot of other people liked it for other reasons.
I like foreign pop music specifically because I don't speak the language. I can enjoy fun music without having to listen to how dumb the lyrics are. But that doesn't mean the entirety of the song is without meaning, any more than saying a musical composition without words at all has no meaning.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I understood just as many lyrics from this song as I had from Smells Like Teen Spirit.

strawman

strawman

When I'm working on an activity that requires thinking and I want music in the background, I have to listen to wordless music, or foreign music. Gangnam is ok. Otherwise I'm too distracted by words I can actually understand.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I understood just as many lyrics from this song as I had from Smells Like Teen Spirit.
He's the one who likes all our pretty songs
And he likes to sing along and he likes to shoot his gun
But he knows not what it means
Knows not what it means and I say yeah

GasBandit

GasBandit

He's the one who likes all our pretty songs
And he likes to sing along and he likes to shoot his gun
But he knows not what it means
Knows not what it means and I say yeah
... That's "In Bloom," not Teen Spirit.

Teen Spirit is the one that goes

With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
Acting stupid and contagious
Yeah

... and I feel so very, very, VERY old.

Gusto

Gusto

Really? I thought it was "It's the lifestyle, that sustains us."

Well I never claimed to be good with music.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

All I know is, I fucking hate Nirvana.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

... That's "In Bloom," not Teen Spirit.

Teen Spirit is the one that goes

Acting stupid and contagious
Yeah

... and I feel so very, very, VERY old.
I know it's from in bloom. The song was written after the popularity of Teen Spirit, and was talking about all the new fans they had that didn't know what the lyrics meant.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Really? I thought it was "It's the lifestyle, that sustains us."

Well I never claimed to be good with music.
Well, in all fairness, there's also disagreement as to whether it's "I feel stupid" or "Acting stupid."[DOUBLEPOST=1355418756][/DOUBLEPOST]
I know it's from in bloom. The song was written after the popularity of Teen Spirit, and was talking about all the new fans they had that didn't know what the lyrics meant.
Ahh. I was not aware of that subtext to the song. Really, by that point I'd accepted that most Nirvana songs were just word salad.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Kurt Cobain did not know what the song was about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Spirit_(deodorant)

KCWM

KCWM

In bloom was on the same album as Teen Spirit. According to Wikipedia, the album was released two weeks after the single (9/24/91 vs 9/10/91). In Bloom was written and recorded well before the single for Teen Spirit was released.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In bloom was on the same album as Teen Spirit. According to Wikipedia, the album was released two weeks after the single (9/24/91 vs 9/10/91). In Bloom was written and recorded well before the single for Teen Spirit was released.
Ok, so it wasn't about teen spirit specifically, but the same message remains

fade

fade

Despite being constantly accused of looking like him, I roll my eyes at Cobain's arbitrary hatred of popularity. Purposefully counter-aligning yourself is just as stupid as purposely crowd-following. Fuck the crowd altogether. That said, I kind of like the music, and they did open up the popular music world to a major genre shift.

KCWM

KCWM

I dunno about that Raven. Nirvana hadn't experienced much success, so them writing a song about "talking about all the new fans they had that didn't know what the lyrics meant" doesn't make a lot of sense. When you listen to Bleach, his lyrics didn't make much sense then, and that album didn't really see a lot of exposure until after Nevermind.

You're giving meaning to the lyrics that simply doesn't add up. I lived that era of music and it's a large influence on the music that I create, for better or for worse. Cobain had a knack for writing great melodies, but that didn't blow up until Butch Vig got a hold of them. Who knows what he really meant when he wrote In Bloom, but wide spread fandom not understanding the lyrics? Not so much.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I grew up with the music too, but it has been awhile, so my memory is just a little hazy. The meaning I attributed to the song, at least to that specific chorus, was that of people singing to the music without knowing what it means. Whether that was a problem they faced at the time of writing, or simply a perceived or feared outcome is irrelevant, I still thought it fit the subject at hand.

And I do, after all, know what's up!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Curse you, poe, for misleading me about music. Ne'er shall I trust ye again.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

He's back. It's catchy as shit (not as much as Gangnam) and it's hilariously over the top PSY style. Hell yes, loved it.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

:D Oh Psy. Months ago I had no idea who he was, and now he just pops up. In regards to the new video, I was a bit disappointed by the volume of Gangnam-style references; one would have been funny, but it started to feel like "REMEMBER?!"

But oh well. Good fun nonetheless

GasBandit

GasBandit

strawman

strawman

I was a bit disappointed by the volume of Gangnam-style references;
He has a record label now.

The same one as The Beibster.

The corporate machine goes 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round,
The corporate machine goes 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round,
All through the town!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just want to know which dance song from the 80's/90's did he sample for the baseline?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

He breaks another record with Gentlemen (Currently at 150million views)
http://www.ryot.org/video-psys-gent...est-youtube-video-to-reach-100-million-views/

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I want him to wear better fitting pants. It really bugs the hell out of me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I want him to wear better fitting pants. It really bugs the hell out of me.
Ball Room Dancing Pants.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Merc with the Mouth is a Mather Father Genterman

!

fade

fade

Dp should've shot everyone at the end.