Rant VIII: The Reckoning

I don't drink because I hate the taste of alcohol as well. There are some exceptions, and I have had friends who go out of their way to try to find things that I won't find disgusting. But for the most part, just saying "I don't drink" is enough.

In this place some people consider an insult if you refuse to drink with them. I even got in a fight one time because of that.

I have never cultivated a liking for beer, wine, or whisky. There are some types of cordials and liqueurs that I enjoy (in moderation), but it is the taste which puts me off long before I get to a point where I might be worried about the injury my tongue might cause (to others and to myself). This leads to social awkwardness, since many bonding rituals seem to require the presence of beer, and it is difficult to politely decline.

--Patrick
Mr. Z has never had a drop of alcohol in his life (through his own choice, not religious or anything), and he's never had a problem being the life of the party. No one gives him crap about it, and he'll even go hang out at bars on occasion but only order soda. I think it may have more to do with personality. I also think all of us are too scared to see what would happen it he was ever under the influence of...anything, given his normal personality. (He's never had a cigarette or touched any drug, either. Hell, I have to fight him just to get him to take an aspirin!)

Funny part? He's been a bartender. He went to bar tending classes and everything. He usually makes all the drinks when we have parties.

I live in Alberta. It's a population of oil field workers and red necks. Everyone gives me hell when I order a French beer (the German part of France, but still technically French):

Sue me, it's delicious. I get hell from my brother, who drinks nothing but Canadian, about drinking orange juice instead of beer.

I don't drink either, like Mr. Celt-Z, I've just never chosen to do so. The smell of most beer just turns my stomach, and I've always been able to let loose and have fun without "lubricant." I grew up in a smoking household, and once I got away from it realized how much being around it dulled my sense of smell, and I never smoked even once. I also don't like taking medications, not because I'm against them, but because they tend to knock me right out. I can't function on anything stronger than two advil, and the only time I took some cold medicine I bounced my head off of my desk within 45 minutes.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't care if you drink, go for it, but I don't like people that get drunk.

I don't drink either, like Mr. Celt-Z, I've just never chosen to do so. The smell of most beer just turns my stomach, and I've always been able to let loose and have fun without "lubricant." I grew up in a smoking household, and once I got away from it realized how much being around it dulled my sense of smell, and I never smoked even once. I also don't like taking medications, not because I'm against them, but because they tend to knock me right out. I can't function on anything stronger than two advil, and the only time I took some cold medicine I bounced my head off of my desk within 45 minutes.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't care if you drink, go for it, but I don't like people that get drunk.
Don't like people who get drunk or don't like drunk people?

To all the people who don't drink: try cider. I couldn't find anything I could stomach until I tried cider, but once I did, I was able to enjoy an alcoholic beverage.

It doesn't have any of the smell or bitter, strong flavor that beer has and it won't knock you on your ass like something harder. It's the perfect middle ground.

I choose not to except for special circumstances with one particular friend, so I can count the number of drinks I've had on one hand. No more than that, not with other friends, not with family, not on my own. I've seen my mother--it's too easy to slip into that and never stop.

To all the people who don't drink: try cider. I couldn't find anything I could stomach until I tried cider, but once I did, I was able to enjoy an alcoholic beverage.

It doesn't have any of the smell or bitter, strong flavor that beer has and it won't knock you on your ass like something harder. It's the perfect middle ground.
I agree. Cider is a nice, refreshing beverage. Hornsby's is quite good.

I enjoy a good beer every once in a while, but I have other things to spend my money on. Add to that my schedule which puts my "after work" drinks at 9 or 10 am. So that's out. Then a workplace where I have to be the sober one dealing with the drunk and stupids looking for rooms, and then continuing to be drunk and stupid after they get one.

So it's not that I don't drink or won't drink. I just have better things to do with my time and/or money at the moment.

OR... at least I would, if the guy scheduled to work this shift tonight had bothered to show up. He didn't, so I'm stuck here with a big to do list still pending at home for a visit from grandma. :rage::rage::rage:

Dentist said I need a root canal. Prior to getting estimate from insurance company, says it may cost ~$300 out of pocket.

WRONG.

$595. And insurance company will pay... nothing. Because it says at 45, I'm too old to qualify for coverage for this procedure. Could be worse, it could be the original $875 estimate.

So I need to haul ass over to the dentist's office as soon as I'm done with this (extra) shift to see what the hell. If I'm lucky, they submitted the preliminary paperwork wrong. If not, I'm doing nothing... until the tooth decides to try to kill me again.

Yay for operator error. Reading comprehension FTL. Root canals for adults are not covered on the plan I signed up for. Should have noticed that from the start.

So now I'm on the phone to try to upgrade my coverage. Along with the premium. :p

Wait - age-based insurance coverage? What kind of backwards state do you live in?
The policy I signed up for was basic for adults. Only covered things like cleaning and fillings. Root canals and the like were excluded on that policy. I have to move up to the next level of coverage.

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

We had to put down my cat yesterday.

I brought him home as a stray who was hanging around a place I volunteered, we had him for 12 years and he was probably pushing 20. He hadn't been with me for the last few (stupid landlords not allowing pets), so it was my mom who had to do it. I'm still sad about it though. He's had kidney issues for the last year-ish, and IV fluids had always let him bounce back. This time, not so much. Poor baby.

Craig Ferguson will step down as the host of the Late Late Show in December.

Dammit. I'll have to find something else to watch when I get ready for work in the mornings.

I always thought pink shirt guy was a posed picture. Nobody could be that stupid. Seems I work with a person that stupid.

Oh fuck fuck fuck.

I leave for three days, my work -months of work- gets drastically transformed without my consult or consent by one of my bosses.

Then I get a legal form from him so poorly written that I'm afraid to sign it, but, if I don't sign it, my job is not doable.

And now I discover information that could cause my job to vanish.