Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Because I wasn't mentally prepared to juggle 50 things at once, as a teacher of any level must do. I'm too much of a Type-A personality that can only focus on one thing at a time (which is why I also get stressed, upset, and emotional during finals time in university). I just clearly don't have what it takes to be a teacher.
I say, bullshit on the last statement.

Elementary is by far harder than secondary, because you have to do EVERYTHING. Secondary allows you to focus on more specific subjects and subject areas, and not deal with the recess/lunch/potty breaks/holding the children's hands to do anything from sharpening pencils to acquiring basic supplies. Men are not mothers, which is why more women are better with elementary than men. From experience it is much harder on men in an elementary setting than women, because we're always looked upon with a sense of "distrust." I saw passion out of you for teaching, but you hit a bump in the road and took everything that happened in the worst possible light and context. I figured out, earlier than you did, that I wasn't made for elementary (even though I ended up there...) and worked better with more independent students, rather than the more needy children. YMMV.

There is a rather decent big box retailer that opened in your town within the last couple of years that has a scope a bit Beyond some of the other retailers out there, for one, you won't be working on commission and sales aren't tracked as individual sales stats. I'm not saying it's an answer for you, but it might be better than some of the other options around, in the short term.

Are you seeing doctors or therapists only?
I was wondering about this, too. There is a difference in treatment options between a psychologist and psychiatrist.
Also, how long have you been in treatment? If it's a relatively short time it might not be long enough for it to be effective yet.

Saw a psychiatrist a few weeks ago. The appointment had been made back in October, when I had my breakdown and was in the hospital. He's pretty certain I don't have clinical depression since my depressive periods don't last as long as 10 days, which is generally the minimum. Which is why most - if not all - of the antidepressants I've been on throughout my life have rarely worked well for me. Does believe I have ADHD and absolutely no confidence or self-worth. Suggested Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

The two people I'm seeing now are a family counsellor and an occupational therapist.

CBT is great shit, if you can successfully change the way you can think. I'd go for it, if you have insurance to cover the treatment.

My girlfriend has a flight today, and I decided to drive her to the airport using an hourly car rental program thats on campus (Enterprise Car Share). We get to the car and it wont let us in, no matter how much I hold my car there. After 15 minutes of being on hold (and being told how Enterprise is a "Family-run company that cares"), I am told that the car is going under scheduled maintenance and unavailable. It would've been nice if they told us that two weeks ago when I made the reservation. So now, my girlfriend had to pay twice the price to get a shuttle to the airport, and the only reason she was able to get on that shuttle is because we happened to see the pickup bus while walking back. Of course, family-run, non corporate, caring Enterprise has said that they won't do anything about the extra money that had to be spent last second because of their fuckup.

fade

Staff member
Twitter @enterprisecares. I got their attention there when they charged me 400 for a scratch I absolutely know was not there when I turned in the car.

Won't be around much for two weeks or so. My girlfriend's nephew was killed in a car accident yesterday morning. Just a kid. 14 I think. Heading to BC to see the family and attend the funeral.

Sigh.

It feels so wrong.

So. Just got back from my grandpa's funeral completely fucking furious. The pastor, who didn't know my pop, did a fucking fire and brimstone sermon in the middle of the service, citing Pascal's wager amongst other things and then going on about how non-believers leaving nothing but destruction in their wake and sadness and gobs of bullshit. My grandpa was basically as much an atheist as someone born on a farm in New Brunswick in the 20's could be. He all but preached to my family that my pops was in hell now.

So God damn furious about it.

Religious tolerance and the Christian virtue of not judging lest thou be judged at its finest.
Sorry for your loss and the jackass on the funeral.

Cajungal

Staff member
That's the worst. @Frank. My grandpa experienced something similar to that too (not quite as horrible). He wasn't allowed to speak at his army buddy's Catholic funeral because he got a divorce. Sucks.

Dave

Staff member
My wife's grandfather was not allowed to have his funeral in the church he was a member in for almost 70 years...because he was cremated.

My wife's grandfather was not allowed to have his funeral in the church he was a member in for almost 70 years...because he was cremated.
All four of my grandparents were cremated, and all were buried after a service in a Catholic church. No offense but some protestants really don't know what they're talking about when they claim the RCC is oh so conservative and aggressive and anti-people and whatnot.

Dave

Staff member
All four of my grandparents were cremated, and all were buried after a service in a Catholic church. No offense but some protestants really don't know what they're talking about when they claim the RCC is oh so conservative and aggressive and anti-people and whatnot.
So you're saying we weren't told that and that the whole thing was in our minds?

My wife's whole family is Catholic, including my wife's grandmother, who was very upset about the whole affair.

I'm very sorry they did that to you, @Dave.

...Um, don't know why it erased the second thing I just wrote. Anyway, what I wrote was I think it depends on how the priests at a particular location feel about it. When my uncle died very unexpectedly a year ago, he was also cremated. But the Catholic church he and my mother's family had attended since the late 60's were still willing to perform the ceremony.

So. Just got back from my grandpa's funeral completely fucking furious. The pastor, who didn't know my pop, did a fucking fire and brimstone sermon in the middle of the service, citing Pascal's wager amongst other things and then going on about how non-believers leaving nothing but destruction in their wake and sadness and gobs of bullshit. My grandpa was basically as much an atheist as someone born on a farm in New Brunswick in the 20's could be. He all but preached to my family that my pops was in hell now.

So God damn furious about it.
Similar happened at my great-grandmother's funeral, and my little brother's.

I'm sorry it happened to your family. A lot of people are full of shit and decide to excrete it through their mouths.

So you're saying we weren't told that and that the whole thing was in our minds?

My wife's whole family is Catholic, including my wife's grandmother, who was very upset about the whole affair.
Not you, they need to get their heads out of their asses. As in, the minister/priest/whatever refused the service. If it was a Catholic church, all the more reason he should be made to eat his words - the RCC does not condone refusing the last rites, funeral or burial on holy ground to people who choose to be cremated. It was the position of the RCC up until 1962, and was changed that year. Similar for suicide, euthanasia and that sort: not in the RCC until the late '90s (in that case), but changed. Priests who refuse service for those reasons are in flagrant violation of the Pope's edicts.

My apologies for the confusion :) I assumed it was one of the more reactionary variations of protestantism as they tend to rail against the RCC quite strongly in how out of touch the RCC is, while at the same time sometimes being worse themselves. A RCC priest behaving like that...well, I imagine you might get the same sort of reaction in South America and parts of Africa where the RCC is still much more conservative - the Pope, despite being seen as horribly conservative (well, slightly better with this one - and for the record, Popes obviously are horribly conservative), still tends to follow the European Church more than the exterior ones (again, less with this one, as he's not European himself). If people being cremated were denied a funeral (or non-baptized were refused marriage), they could close down every church in Northwest Europe.

After my grandfather committed suicide we had friends and family members who let us know he would be burning in hell. His oldest sister refused to come to his services because of her beliefs along that line. My poor grandmother was beside herself.

But make no mistake; the Belgians who install a law where people who are still of able mind, but in insufferable, physical pain, with no hope of relief or improvement, are able to ask to die with dignity, are the real monsters.

After my grandfather committed suicide we had friends and family members who let us know he would be burning in hell. His oldest sister refused to come to his services because of her beliefs along that line. My poor grandmother was beside herself.
I wish more people would realize that funerals are for the friends and family, not the deceased.

So, getting close to the end of this whole new job interview process and just starting to realize that this means leaving my current life behind, all of it - friends, family, job, charity work, my house, animals, girlfriend - and moving across Canada. Weighing out the pros and cons has me all tied in a knot.

GAAAHHHHH RAGE.

I'm making the month schedule for my girlfriend's work. Part of her job, but she's swamped as it is, and I don't generally mind math crap and working in excel.
I made a whole plan - everybody works 2 nights in a row and is home for 2 days after, always blocks of 3 or 4 days, everybody had the right amount of hours.
SURPRISE! They can't do two nights in a row, they can work a maximum of 6 days in a row, they must have 36 hours off in a row every week, and everybody has "their" night they want to stick to.
Unfortunately, with 5 people, that means...well, it can't be done. I have to let people who are there as students to learn the trade work alone - nights, even - or it's literally impossible. The people making these rules are playing with fire - if anything goes wrong, these 17 year olds aren't equipped to deal with potentially-dangerous 20 year olds. Duh!

Oh, and they use some sort of archaic excel sheet which is locked down and won't accept just any hours entered - they have to fit into pre-programmed services...Which aren't always the same as the actual hours they have to work.

All in all, I've spent well over 8 hours on this before having to restart and it's going to take more time now, to get a worse schedule out of it. MADNESS.

AND THIS IS MY TIME OFFF ARGHARBLGHRAGL.

I'm sorry, slightly pissed off right now.

Carpool with Dirona?
Dirona's moving way farther than I am. I'm only going half that distance, and the company is paying professional movers to do it for me. I'm not concerned about the move, it's just the fact I am probably moving :-|

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, WINDOWS 8. All I want to do is have one - ONE - background image on my desktop. How fucking hard is that to do? No, I don't want a solid color. No, I don't want a slideshow fucking shuffle of multiple images. I want one - OOOOOOOOONNNNNNNEEEEEE - image. Why is that so fucking hard to do? And of course, Googling the problem doesn't help because whatever suggestions I find don't work for whatever fucking reason.

So why can't I just have ONE single fucking image when you keep forcing me back to having a solid colour background?