Rant VIII: The Reckoning

So, it looks like I'm finally moving out of parents' place and into a small 1-bedroom apartment over in Dartmouth. I'm getting a lot of help from Dad and my sisters. Dad agreed to help pay the rent for the first 6 months. I'm still not back to work and I don't know what's happening there.

A lot of this stems from my sisters' insistence. For me, they think not living with my parents will be better for my mental health. But they're also discussing moving my parents into a senior care complex. Not quite a long term care home, but something where they still have independence, but there are professionals nearby if needed. More senior community, too, for both of them to maybe get out and meet people. Which would be good for both of them. Dad is turning 88 this year and his health is deteriorating. Mom's Alzheimer's hasn't gotten bad yet but she needs to be more social to help fight it. She's done really well with everything else, like eating well and exercising.

As for me, I'm...terrified. I fully admit I've become too accustomed to living at home. I barely cook for myself or do my own laundry. The former because Mom enjoys cooking dinners but also takes it personally if we don't eat what she cooks. The latter largely because Mom just tosses my stuff into the laundry with bigger loads. And it honestly feels like it's three toxic people who have become co-dependent on each other.

The new place isn't bad, location-wise. Assuming I return to work, it's an easy 25-minute bike ride, tops. But it also feels kind of small. I don't know if I'll have room to roll out a yoga mat or play VR. And I'm worried about affording it, as I fully admit I'm not good with money. Usually due to impulse buys on comics, games, junk food, etc. I have some savings that can last me several months...if I'm not stupid with it.

Mentally, I'm still at a point where I've given up hope I'll do anything with my life. This feels less like becoming independent again and more like I'm the family loser who is just a burden on everyone.

This feels less like becoming independent again and more like I'm the family loser who is just a burden on everyone.
Or that your family loves you and wants the best for you. I know you know that side too, but it's worth saying it out loud.

Honestly Nick, I think like it could be great for you. And maybe terrifying too, but good. You'll finally have the freedom to walk around butt naked in your own place, and still wear a shirt if you want. Full Donald Duck mode. Isn't that the dream?

I second that emotion. I think having your own place is going to a massive step forward for you. And there are tons of online resources to learn how to manage a budget, do laundry, cook affordable meals for one.

I can't keep track of which rant threads I've started this saga in, but it's been a month now and I'm ready to type it out.

I officially broke up with my girlfriend after 6 years together just before christmas. She's apparently terrible at her teacher aid job, making my sister look bad in the process because my now-ex got the job based on my sister's recommendation. She's needlessly mean and strict with children she watches. She's been treating my nephew poorly while blatantly showing favoritism to my niece in front of him when I'm not there; mostly things like repititous "joking" name calling, bringing snacks and gifts to niece but not nephew, taking niece to outings with nephew not invited, ect. And a lot of this has been going on the past year with my family all in the know that there's a problem without anyone wanting to tell me. Until my sister wanted to speak to me one on one to intervene and tell me everything I hadn't noticed and that she strongly thought GF was going to be fired by the end of the school year.

Sis didn't even necessarily want me to break up with GF, just hoping some things would get through to her coming from me because she just wouldn't improve or take any criticism to heart. But sis also didn't know that we barely had a sex life or so many of the other dumb things GF has done over the years that still ate at me and caused me doubts. This was a pretty fucking big final straw. The timing could have been better considering it was days before christmas and a week before her birthday, but I felt like I couldn't *not* go straight home and end it after hearing she'd been verbally bullying my nephew. It was emotional, we both cried, she pleaded for another chance, but all I could think was how unhappy I'd really been and how many other chances she's already had. How many times I had already said "this is bad but I'll try to forgive and move past it." Enough was enough, and I don't want the message it sends to my nephew for him to be treated that way and me continue to be with that woman.

To her credit, she's agreed she needs therapy and now sees a therapist remotely each week as a condition of her getting to stay living as my roommate and getting to still see the family. I keep thinking it wouldn't be a terrible idea for me to do the same, I really need to work on myself before I really try dating again and perhaps talk about why I ignored all the problems for as long as I did, but haven't taken the steps to begin that. In all, I just wish I hadn't dragged my family into my mediocre relationship, I should have left her in California and moved on my own when I was already feeling like I was no where near ready to marry her.

In all, I just wish I hadn't dragged my family into my mediocre relationship, I should have left her in California and moved on my own when I was already feeling like I was no where near ready to marry her.
My last relationship lasted for 3 years, and when I broke it off it was for pretty much this reason - I knew she just wasn't the person I wanted to grow old with or marry. I loved her just fine, but, it was never going to go the distance. Even if everything else is OK, that's still a reason to end things at some point.
Still isn't fun, to say the least.

My grandpa died. I’ll miss him a lot.
The last few weeks made it seem like there was a good chance it’d happen in the next yearish, but nothing to make anyone think it was this imminent. I intentionally hadn’t called because my mom said he was resting and whatnot and I knew I’d be able to see him next weekend. Now he’s gone I didn’t talk to him and that’s just how it’s gonna be forever I guess.

Just got done talking to my high school sweetheart. Her daughter who's been battling cancer is in the hospital right now, just got scanned. The results will be back tomorrow, but it's not looking good. The latest chemo doesn't seem to be working, in fact her legs are swelling and other things look as though they're starting to fail. She may only have months at the most left. She's suppose to turn 19 next month.

I'm so sad and angry at the same time. Why is she being punished for the sins and failures of us, the adults who were suppose to keep her safe?

So, wife and I have been trying to adopt her cousin that's been in Foster care since she was less than a year old. We started going through the process and come to find out we aren't eligible to adopt because when my now 15 year old was 10 months old we had a CPS case against us, we thought it was dropped and unfounded (it's what we were told at the time back in 2008) but apparently, CPS said that we *did* medically neglect him (but they didn't remove him from us or anything). So because of that bogus case from 14 years ago my wife's cousin is going to be stuck in foster care until she turns 18 because we were their last hope for getting her out of the system. She doesn't fit in at other potential adoptions and self-sabotages the process because she feels like she's betraying her family if she were to be adopted by someone outside of her family. So. I'm pissed, my wife is upset, and the poor kid, while we didn't tell her that we were trying to adopt her or anything got her hopes up that we would come get her and she could live with us (we have regular phone calls with her a few times a week). My heart breaks for her because I know that will never happen and she will have to live in the group home she's in for 5 more years until she ages out of the system. poor girl.

So, wife and I have been trying to adopt her cousin that's been in Foster care since she was less than a year old. We started going through the process and come to find out we aren't eligible to adopt because when my now 15 year old was 10 months old we had a CPS case against us, we thought it was dropped and unfounded (it's what we were told at the time back in 2008) but apparently, CPS said that we *did* medically neglect him (but they didn't remove him from us or anything). So because of that bogus case from 14 years ago my wife's cousin is going to be stuck in foster care until she turns 18 because we were their last hope for getting her out of the system. She doesn't fit in at other potential adoptions and self-sabotages the process because she feels like she's betraying her family if she were to be adopted by someone outside of her family. So. I'm pissed, my wife is upset, and the poor kid, while we didn't tell her that we were trying to adopt her or anything got her hopes up that we would come get her and she could live with us (we have regular phone calls with her a few times a week). My heart breaks for her because I know that will never happen and she will have to live in the group home she's in for 5 more years until she ages out of the system. poor girl.
Get a lawyer. Sue CPS.