Rant VIII: The Reckoning

They've been testing these in Columbus for at least a month and a half. It's not a TERRIBLE idea but it's not perfect ether. I think they are aiming for the Wingstreet crowd who buys stuff like this for game day buffets. Honestly, I'd just get pizza from a place that does pieces instead of slices if I needed to have pizza cut up for something like this.

One of the few perks of living near Columbus is that fast food places test almost of their new items here before anywhere else.

I had a ghastly day at work today. Fuck, I need to transfer to traffic or something. These interviews with kids are fucking killing me inside. After work, I went to the bar to forget what feelings are and couldn't even bring myself to drink a beer so I ended up driving around the city for hours.

Then I had a bubble tea at Dream Tea on Whyte and things were a bit better. I fucking love you Dream Tea. The only person who may know what I'm talking about here is Chad Sexington

Went out for a friend's birthday dinner last night. A few months ago I would have called her one of my best friends. We've known each other for 15 years, and we've always been close. Except now, we hadn't seen each other much over the last few months. She kept telling me she was crazy-busy at work and just didn't have any time. This is despite the fact that I offered to just meet her after work for drinks, or something convenient for her.

I get to the dinner, and she's got a few friends I've never met before, and never ever heard of from her. They've got all kinds of stories about things from the last few months. So apparently she just hasn't had time for me. She also made comments all night about how people living in the city (SF) are so much better than people who don't... like we're all some sort of bumpkins living in the sticks. I live in a city just south of Oakland, just a little to the east of SF. Hell, the entire Bay Area is practically one giant city-complex. Somehow the rest of us are not good enough now because we're just not on the same side of the bay as her?

And I'm really not liking the dude she's dating. He's a nice guy. When I first met him, I thought they were great together. Then I found out he hasn't had a job in four years. And he doesn't plan on getting a job anytime in the near future (something about a back injury from when he was 16 keeping him from working now - when he's 32). Now he lives with her. Doesn't pay a dime for rent, food, or utilities. She buys everything for him, including his clothes, an Xbox, and gas for his car. Just, ugh. He seems like such a fucking leech. If he actually contributed something I'd be fine with him. But he's a mooch, and even though she complains about it sometimes she doesn't do anything. I'm terrified she's going to end up marrying this dude and letting him drag her down.

I just have this ugly feeling inside. Mostly sadness. I think I feel like our friendship, which was great just a few months ago, is dying. This change sucks ass. It's sudden, and stupid, and I hate it.

I had a ghastly day at work today. Fuck, I need to transfer to traffic or something. These interviews with kids are fucking killing me inside. After work, I went to the bar to forget what feelings are and couldn't even bring myself to drink a beer so I ended up driving around the city for hours.

Then I had a bubble tea at Dream Tea on Whyte and things were a bit better. I fucking love you Dream Tea. The only person who may know what I'm talking about here is Chad Sexington
I definitely know what you're talking about.

I live pretty close to Whyte, actually. Dream Tea is like a 15 minute walk. Sometime, we'll uh, tea it up :D

I just have this ugly feeling inside. Mostly sadness. I think I feel like our friendship, which was great just a few months ago, is dying. This change sucks ass. It's sudden, and stupid, and I hate it.

(It's OK to click, hardly any of the song is actually in Spanish)

I hate to say it, but this is what they mean about loving and letting go. It is hard.
I have a really, really good friend who burnt me once over something incredibly trivial, but it was enough to completely change my regard for them, and whereas before I would drive hundreds of miles and cross raging rivers to help out, now I have trouble mustering up sufficient devotion to send Xmas cards.

--Patrick

Seriously starting to wonder if I'm going to make it the 5 months I have until we move at this job. I need the money, that's all that's keeping me here now. My new manager is a raving loon who should never have made it to managerial status.

Seriously starting to wonder if I'm going to make it the 5 months I have until we move at this job. I need the money, that's all that's keeping me here now. My new manager is a raving loon who should never have made it to managerial status.
Sounds like about 90% of management in general, which is unfortunate.

Sounds like MS is slowly turning into IBM.
I don't know how slowly they're going, or how far along the transition they are. It's been like this for years. My last manager was pretty good, he just didn't make the most use of his team members that he could, which meant that I had a lot of free time. My new boss... heh. He'd definitely like to use up that free time, but he doesn't actually give directions well, or resources, or specifications, or anything else really. Then he's really surprised when the report that he gets is nothing like what he expected to be getting.

I don't know how slowly they're going, or how far along the transition they are. It's been like this for years. My last manager was pretty good, he just didn't make the most use of his team members that he could, which meant that I had a lot of free time. My new boss... heh. He'd definitely like to use up that free time, but he doesn't actually give directions well, or resources, or specifications, or anything else really. Then he's really surprised when the report that he gets is nothing like what he expected to be getting.
Your reports would be so much better if only they told him the stuff he wanted to know (instead of what he asked for).

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Work you stupid legs!

Have I mentioned how much I loathe having Somatoform Disorder? I really do right now. I was having a great day... and now I can't get up and go to bed because my legs won't respond. Can't even wiggle my toes at the moment.

Time to do some deep breathing and hope I can get some response out of them soon.... Er, not just any response, because the painful muscle twitching that's starting is really a step in the wrong direction.

EDIT: I can move again. Nearly a half-hour is a pretty long bout, especially given it's been so long since it last happened. I'm not sure why that happened.

Holy shit my legs hurt, though. I want to get to bed soon.

How the flying FUCK does the radiator in my Crown Vic blow WHEN IT'S STANDING STILL?! I hadn't moved that car for 2 and a half hours, then BOOM! Steam cloud outta nowhere!

*facepalm*

The cooling fan does not move nearly as much air as the rear wheels do. Also are you sure it was not the intake manifold? That is what blew on mine.

I don't rightly know what it was... all I know was that I was boiling over, and cooking antifreeze. The garage is closed over the weekend, so I won't know what the deal is until next week.... maybe...

Given that I was sitting in it at the time, I'm pretty sure there wasn't a fire...... pretty sure. Fairly sure.

I don't know, but my heart tells me "maybe"

Ugh...

I came down with a really bad stomach flu yesterday. I've never been this sick before in my life. I slept for over 24 hours straight, only waking long enough to stumble to the bathroom and shit/puke my guts out. My fever peaked at around 102.5, and at several points I seriously considered going to the hospital.

I'm still sick with a fever today, and really weak due to not having eaten anything in over 24 hours, and now my employer is being a dick about it. Sending me passive aggressive texts to remind me that if I don't come in to work today, I'll be written up for not having any PTO. I don't fucking care, I'm too sick to work, fire me if you want. This is the first sick day I've taken in over 4 years, the only reason I don't have any sick time is because when my current employer bought out my previous employer last year, they didn't roll over any of the remaining sick time or vacation days.

figmentPez

Staff member
Now being posted to the correct thread:

My family's dog Bear died this morning. He was bitten by a snake last week. Most of our animals have survived being bitten before, even Bear, but not this time. My dad is taking it really hard.

My doomweasel, Micha the Destroyer, is having pancreatic surgery tomorrow. Would you mind sending some healing thoughts her way? Thank you.

Today (Feb 27) was the 13th anniversary of my last, major depressive breakdown that included a major suicide attempt. I was in the hospital's psych ward for about two weeks and it took me a long time to recover from it, mentally.

Every year, I celebrate it by watching one of my favourite movies, What Dreams May Come. Not only can I relate with the character with major depression (though mine are for entirely different reasons), but the movie's message about suicide is largely what has kept me from doing myself in over the years. Whatever kind of afterlife there is (if there is one), that's not the kind of afterlife I want.

I'll admit that it's not the best movie out there, but every time I watch it, I bawl my eyes out. Tonight, a good friend of mine joined me who had never seen it before. He was crying just about as hard as I was the first time I watched this.

Today (Feb 27) was the 13th anniversary of my last, major depressive breakdown that included a major suicide attempt. I was in the hospital's psych ward for about two weeks and it took me a long time to recover from it, mentally.

Every year, I celebrate it by watching one of my favourite movies, What Dreams May Come. Not only can I relate with the character with major depression (though mine are for entirely different reasons), but the movie's message about suicide is largely what has kept me from doing myself in over the years. Whatever kind of afterlife there is (if there is one), that's not the kind of afterlife I want.

I'll admit that it's not the best movie out there, but every time I watch it, I bawl my eyes out. Tonight, a good friend of mine joined me who had never seen it before. He was crying just about as hard as I was the first time I watched this.
I'm always reticent to state this publicly, but...

Fuck it.

I have severe clinical depression. The last time I seriously considered suicide was less than one week ago. There are very few days where I don't think about ending my life.

I don't share your experience, but I am inspired by the idea that maybe I can be 13 years distant from that thought.

Congratulations, Nick. I speak for every member of this forum when I say I am so goddamn glad you're here with us.

I have severe clinical depression. The last time I seriously considered suicide was less than one week ago. There are very few days where I don't think about ending my life.
Please don't. We like Ze Chad. Ze Chad is le awesome. :D

Also, as I just said to you in a private message: while my depression has been bad off and on for years, I'm happy to say that I haven't had a serious suicidal thought in about 6 or 7 years. You'll get there, too, man. I have faith in ya.

Yesterday morning the "vacation jar" held ~$430. Now it has 90 cents. But the car is repaired and inspected.

Workers keep bringing in bedbugs, leaving the next guest to rent that room to find them and start screaming at me. Every. Night. This. Week.

I've got my 40 hours in this week and 40 hours last week, but I got it by working 8 nights in a row. While mom is recovering from knee replacement. My "weekend" starts just in time for my sister to head out of town to get on with her life.

And now it's snowing.

(And did I mention the credit cards are still maxed out from last spring's root canal? Thanks to interest, I haven't even come close to making a dent in the balance.)

BLARGH. I started a Wordpress blog to have a slightly better blog than Livejournal since I'm a published writer now.

But it's not showing an option for people to leave comments on a post. Apparently, the theme I'm using doesn't have it in its code or something. Unfortunately, the previews for other themes don't show whether they do or not...and I know NOTHING about web coding to understand how to do it myself.

ARGH.[DOUBLEPOST=1362089539][/DOUBLEPOST]Never mind, I think I found a theme.[DOUBLEPOST=1362089777][/DOUBLEPOST]Then again, maybe not. FUCK.

Yeah, but it involves adding the files to the website's code or something. This is going completely over my head. I wish there was a simple .exe file or some kind of thing I download that just does it for me because I don't have a clue what I'm doing.