Rant VIII: The Reckoning

My grandmother died yesterday. I found out a few minutes ago. From a text. That my sister-in-law sent me.

Stay classy, family.
Exact same thing here, but it was my mother-in-law. "So sorry to hear about your grandmother." What about my grandmother? Gods I was mad.

I was fucking LIVID when I learned my grandma had had a fall when I saw her bruised face (she looked like she'd gone 12 rounds with prime Tyson), if I'd learned she'd passed from a text, I'd have been murderous.

In fairness, I wasn't the only one blind-sided, my grandparents had apparently told no one. Still!

Dave

Staff member
My dad fell and broke his hip on Christmas Eve. They never called an ambulance until two days later because they didn't want to bother anyone. Yes, he laid on the floor and my mom fed him there.

My dad fell and broke his hip on Christmas Eve. They never called an ambulance until two days later because they didn't want to bother anyone. Yes, he laid on the floor and my mom fed him there.
I totally understand not calling a doctor/ambulance not to be a bother when you've dislocated a finger or waiting too long when something hurts and it turns out to be broken or something. If you're lying on the floor not able to get up and have to be fed? That's....Something else.

... of course, I've done this myself. I once spent an entire day coughing up the contents of my lungs and pulling muscles all over my body during the fits because I was afraid to call someone to get me. I almost died!

Dave

Staff member
Well in his defense, once he got to the hospital he never came home again, so his instincts were right on that at least!

They never explained how he went to the bathroom, but I'm not sure I want to know.

This ranks right up there with the time (months after that episode) where my mom decided to take a bath and couldn't get out of the tub. She was able to use her toe to drain and once the water was gone and she'd dried off enough she could finally get out.

Getting old sucks, man.

When I get to the point where I can't physically and/or mentally take care of myself, I'm opting for assisted death.

When I get to the point where I can't physically and/or mentally take care of myself, I'm opting for assisted death.
"Dad, you've been in pain for years. You can't take of your most basic needs. Do you really want to go on like this?"

Can I still hold the controller?

"Yeah."

Then get the hell out of my room.

Gotta stay active, mentally and physically. Use it or lose it.

Although I've heard that using it, from a mental perspective, is more about challenging your brain by learning new things, not just simply doing things you already know how to do as mental exercise (e.g. crosswords, sudoku, etc.). @MindDetective you heard anything about that?

Gotta stay active, mentally and physically. Use it or lose it.

Although I've heard that using it, from a mental perspective, is more about challenging your brain by learning new things, not just simply doing things you already know how to do as mental exercise (e.g. crosswords, sudoku, etc.). @MindDetective you heard anything about that?
Yes, although the research says those things don't really transfer well. You can become great at Sudoku and it won't help much with other cognitive tasks. Staying busy with meaningful work likely gives one a sense of purpose that naturally fights off depression and despair as well.

I meant sudoku and crosswords as an example of mental busy-work, not as something for challenging the brain. I could have wrote that more clearly :/

Speaking of not calling for help for a ridiculously long time/in a ridiculously perilous situation... I had to be driven to the ER Tuesday morning at 3am because of the excruciating pain in my neck. ER doc didn't do a whole hell of a lot other than giving me a couple days worth of muscle relaxants and tell me to call my GP... to set up an appointment for an MRI. He's concerned I have a couple of herniated disks between C6 & C7 and C7 & T1. And he'd like some X-rays done, but not at the ER, because they're really expensive there. Seems I shouldn't have been in pain off and on for the last 30 years, and he's concerned some of this pain may be the result of a poorly healed broken neck from a bike wreck I had as a kid, where I went over the handlebars like Superman and landed on my chin, jamming my head into my body like they tell football players never to do. Didn't have x-rays done way back then because we were right next to my buddy's house and his mom was a nurse, so she handed me a frozen lemon to hold to my chin until it went numb and stitched it shut herself.

By the time the muscle relaxers did their job, the three vertebrae in question were noticeably out of alignment with the rest of my spine. This is seriously the worst pain I've ever been in, and I've passed kidney stones without a stent and once got a piece of an after dinner mint (you know, the big pastel sugary ones) stuck in an abscessed wisdom tooth. The kidney stones made me want to scream. The wisdom tooth dropped me to the floor and made me want to shriek like a banshee. This pain makes me bawl like a doomed soul wailing out its horror as it plummets into Hell. Even with my addiction issues, this hurts badly enough that I'd allow my GP to prescribe me opioid painkillers. Right now, all I've got for the pain is a particularly strong batch of budder. Takes the pain away for me and leaves enough of a high behind to feel a little loopy. Made Aislynn so high that she spent five minutes licking first one hand, then the other, in order to make sure she could still taste both of them.

Dave

Staff member
As much as I commiserate with your post and want to give all the hugs, that last line had me laughing out loud.

I totally understand not calling a doctor/ambulance not to be a bother when you've dislocated a finger or waiting too long when something hurts and it turns out to be broken or something. If you're lying on the floor not able to get up and have to be fed? That's....Something else.
I dislocated my finger once and put it back in myself right after. I didn’t go to the ER until it re-dislocated a few days later at work and when I tried again it was at an odd angle.

*sigh* I can't sleep. Mind is racing over worries about the world and I feel so utterly powerless. Greed is systematically destroying our natural world. It feels like we're on the cusp on war with China and Russia. More greedy capitalists are getting into power than ever.

And I just don't know if we can come back from this. I don't have hope things can ever get better. It just seems to get worse and worse and worse.

And all people seem to talk about is whatever cartoon character is getting a movie or show.

Work is getting bad. They want to have either sales people or contractors, no techs. I'm 38 and am not sure if I should apply to be an electrical apprentice. The pay would drop for now, but the union dues and the fact that I work 37.5 a week instead of 40 would help balance that out.

I'm worried about my job future but this job is stressing the life out of me. I don't know if I should stay and be financially comfortable but stressed, or financially tight but less stressed.

I'm really worried that the company will be phasing my position out in the next 10 years, and then I'll be 48 and finding new work. It would be easier to start with a pay cut now but in 10 years I'll be ticketed and making more. The only thing is the pension is really good but I could take the money and put it into RRSP's.

*sigh* I can't sleep. Mind is racing over worries about the world and I feel so utterly powerless. Greed is systematically destroying our natural world. It feels like we're on the cusp on war with China and Russia. More greedy capitalists are getting into power than ever.

And I just don't know if we can come back from this. I don't have hope things can ever get better. It just seems to get worse and worse and worse.

And all people seem to talk about is whatever cartoon character is getting a movie or show.
This was me the night before, which is why I took a break yesterday. I'm able to more calmly and rationally approach the problem in mind for giving myself a chance to process instead of continuing to immerse myself in it.

The problem is that both the person keenly focused on the situation and the person who's only paying attention to cartoon characters have the same minimal influence. In this case even our donations seem meaningless. Not every problem can be solved by throwing money at it (although Julie asked a pertinent question while talking about it last night: "Why is it always on us?") This will take coordination by different groups, governments possibly, to decide it's more important to act now than respect Brazil's sovereignty.

Welcome to peak Climate Grief, everybody. That's depression caused by the looming idea that climate change might already be irreversible, that the people behind it won't be held accountable by anyone and might even escape it somehow, and that the future of our lives is so completely removed from what we do everyday that might as well do... nothing.

Why yes, this does keep me up at night too.

This was me the night before, which is why I took a break yesterday. I'm able to more calmly and rationally approach the problem in mind for giving myself a chance to process instead of continuing to immerse myself in it.

The problem is that both the person keenly focused on the situation and the person who's only paying attention to cartoon characters have the same minimal influence. In this case even our donations seem meaningless. Not every problem can be solved by throwing money at it (although Julie asked a pertinent question while talking about it last night: "Why is it always on us?") This will take coordination by different groups, governments possibly, to decide it's more important to act now than respect Brazil's sovereignty.
I've just accepted that we're fucked as a species and will simply enjoy what I can as we head ever closer to inevitable catastrophe.

There is a huge hairy legged spider in my office. I saw it when I came back from lunch. WTF so gross.
Post automatically merged:

I’m sorry guys. I have calmed down and realize that this isn’t a rant worthy of this thread. I just saw the thing and freaked and got angry because I can’t get them to take the health hazards here seriously.

Last edited:
There is a huge hairy legged spider in my office. I saw it when I came back from lunch. WTF so gross.
Post automatically merged:

I’m sorry guys. I have calmed down and realize that this isn’t a rant worthy of this thread. I just saw the thing and freaked and got angry because I can’t get them to take the health hazards here seriously.
Rants are personal level thing. ATT, for you it was rant worthy.

What about a pain patch? It’s been a huge help for me. The dose is controlled and continuous and considered better than pills etc.

Something to suggest?

There's a fine line between staying informed on world events, and getting sucked into the vortex of doom and gloom. I may be in the minority here, and I may be completely incorrect, but the world has seen way darker times than these. Spanish Flu, the Plague, WWI, WWII, Khmer Rouge, Spanish invasion and destruction of the Americas, etc, etc.

It doesn't look good for the environment. Some folks are saying we are past the tipping point, but people have been thinking the world was going to end since before Nero. I do my part. I know I am making an effort. dum spiro spero

There's a fine line between staying informed on world events, and getting sucked into the vortex of doom and gloom. I may be in the minority here, and I may be completely incorrect, but the world has seen way darker times than these. Spanish Flu, the Plague, WWI, WWII, Khmer Rouge, Spanish invasion and destruction of the Americas, etc, etc.

It doesn't look good for the environment. Some folks are saying we are past the tipping point, but people have been thinking the world was going to end since before Nero. I do my part. I know I am making an effort. dum spiro spero
To paraphrase Dana Gould, people have always been assholes, we're just hearing about it a lot more these days.

No one should have to live in constant pain. Even a 4/10 is still far more pain than is reasonable for you to be living in. Especially considering that’s your baseline before flares and/or breakthrough pain.

I hope your x-rays come in soon and you’re able to work something out with your doctor. If you do end up with a patch, be prepared for idiot questions from strangers :D

I’m also really sorry about what else happened at your appointment. I’m stunned!

I speak from experience on the pain issue. When I finished my degrading intro criminal interview with the pain clinic and they actually spoke to me, they asked what I wanted. To be pain free I said. I was told that was naive and in my case, never going to happen. They felt that a 10% reduction would be a successful outcome. I call that crap. There are enough meds, procedures, etc to do better than 10%.

I’d be happy to share some of the things we’ve discussed if it’s helpful.

Good luck!

figmentPez

Staff member
For months now I've been having trouble with my air conditioning, and that's led to water damage, and severe problems with my allergies. Finally my apartment complex has agreed to actually attempt to fix the problem (they wanted to just paint over the water damage, ignoring that it was repeatedly making my closet so damp dew was forming on the floor). Unfortunately I need to be out of the apartment while they try to repair things, so I'm in the guest suite... which has no WiFi, and cell reception there sucks. So I won't be online a lot this week. I'm at my church now, using the WiFi there to download as much Netflix and Amazon Prime video to my phone as I can fit, and I'm typing on my dad's laptop, which he is loaning to me.

Hopefully it will only take a week to fix things in my apartment, and that things will actually be fixed when they're done. Either way I'm planning to get the fuck out of there as soon as my lease is up because they lied to my face multiple times while trying to get this sorted out. ("We cleaned off the coils every time we came out." First, bullshit, sometimes the maintenance guy showed up and had to borrow a screwdriver just to open the air vent. Second, he didn't bring a vacuum cleaner every time, like he claimed. Third, there's so much dirt and growth on those coils no amount of vacuuming is going to actually clean them.)

My health is crappy, if I've even started to recover it's slow going (I'm so nauseous I'm eating less than half of what I normally do. I'm not getting good sleep, etc.) My depression is terrible because I don't really have much control over my life right now, and I don't know when I'm going to get to do more than just struggle to survive.