Rant VIII: The Reckoning

That like changes to a hug when I get on the PC, my man.

EDIT: Done. That's the bad part of working third shift - nothing's open when you're awake.

Except 24-hour drugstores and Wal-Marts.

Last edited:
Man, I hear what you're saying and all, but really how yellow does a guy's skin gotta be before the layperson can say "jaundice" and not be aggressively asked about his credentials?
I guess the difference here would be "jaundice" is a symptom, and "liver cancer" is a diagnosis. "You're feverish," is not the same as "You have ebola," or even, "You might want to ask about ebola." It is much more sound advice to say, "You should tell your doctor you've got jaundice, or a fever, or maggots crawling out of your eye socket oh my god you're dead, you're a corpse, what I am doing."

I'm quite tired, but you know.

It has now been 22hrs since I last slept.
It will be 14 more until I get another chance.
They will not pass quickly enough.

--Patrick

What the hell?
Stayed up late goofing off online because it's gonna be my only day with >2hrs of contiguous rec over the next 10 days. NBD, right? I can function fine on 5hrs sleep for a day. Gotta be @work 9:30a, went to bed @3 but then JUNE BUG ATTACK. Imagine what it's like to be hot and running a fan in the window, and that fan sucks in probably a dozen June bugs before you realize it and turn it around. Between wifey tossy-turny, June bugs*, and the kid, DID finally manage to get to sleep at 7:40a, but had to get right back up again at 8:15.
I had coffee this morning.
I don't like coffee.

--Patrick
*If a mosquito is like having a tiny F-15 go by while you're trying to sleep, a June bug is like a B-17. They don't really bite, but they do try and burrow AHH GET IT OFF.

Pet peeve of the day - when your co-workers change procedure and don't tell you. I spent 2 days filling out forms that should have been done online in a fraction of the time. My co-workers could have taken 5 minutes to send an email explaining the new process but did they? Oh, hell no! And they do this constantly!

If you hear about a Canadian shooting spree, it's going to be me.

Canadians almost rioted once when an unsavoury character set up shot in a farmers market and started selling "organic" maple syrup.

Some might've seen my hasty mention of snagging the Win10 upgrade before it expired.
...it actually went pretty easily, even the image backup. Took about 2hrs to image and upgrade. Worst problem I had was trying to get my new keyboard to work (it's so fancy it needs drivers, so I wasn't able to type my password to log in). Solution seems to be simply to unplug the PS/2 kbd, which forces the computer to notice the USB one (still can't access BIOS, though).
Cranky even upgraded his second computer (he upgraded the first one last week) with no issues. That second computer was built in early 2007, and yet it still upgraded without issue. We're not going to upgrade Cary's ancient Dell, XP is good enough for him for now.

...but Kati? Started Kati's upgrade last night at about 10p, and it stayed at "copying files 1%" for an hour with 0% progress on the big circle. So we restarted it. It woke up and reverted to 8.1 basically saying "Sorry something must've gone wrong so we reverted for you." Started the upgrade again at about 11:30 and it again stayed at "Copying files 1%" for an hour or so. But then after an hour and a half it said "Copying files 2%" so I left it. Fast forward to about Noon today, it says something like "Copying files 28%" and the big circle says 3% complete. Twelve hours later, and it's just 3% in. She just texted me, and it's been almost 18hrs now and it's up to 6%. She has a PCIe SSD and 32GB RAM, this shouldn't be happening. Thing is, if we restart it now, then we might not get credit for the "free" upgrade. Also there are 300 calls ahead of her in the queue when she tries to contact MSFT support. Decisions, decisions.

--Patrick

Friday, work at 7a, then stay up until 4a Sat making sure everyone has Win10 who wants it (except father-in-law...can only do so many things at once, sorry, you miss out)
Saturday, up at 11a so I can work until 11p, stay up until 3a making sure everyone's Win10 machines are working, after upgrade my computer doesn't want to talk to my fancy new keyboard so really can't use it, fuss with that until it works.
Sunday, work at 9a, get home but by the time I'm done with dinner, putting Cary to bed, etc., it's 11:30 and I have to get to bed because...
Monday, work at 8:30, and when I get home tonight @8p I will have to prepare for...
Tuesday, need to drive across the state @7a to spend the day cleaning out my old house enough to be able to show it (finally moving on that again) without air conditioning because...
Wednesday, need to have all the detritus ready for trash pickup by 7a because my old house is right at the beginning of the route. Oh, and then drive back because...
Thursday, work at 8:30a gragaghnaaHAHAAHAAHAHAA

You know what they say...
awanpmjadb.gif

...I'm hoping it doesn't have to come to that.

--Patrick

Friday, work at 7a, then stay up until 4a Sat making sure everyone has Win10 who wants it (except father-in-law...can only do so many things at once, sorry, you miss out)
Saturday, up at 11a so I can work until 11p, stay up until 3a making sure everyone's Win10 machines are working, after upgrade my computer doesn't want to talk to my fancy new keyboard so really can't use it, fuss with that until it works.
Sunday, work at 9a, get home but by the time I'm done with dinner, putting Cary to bed, etc., it's 11:30 and I have to get to bed because...
Monday, work at 8:30, and when I get home tonight @8p I will have to prepare for...
Tuesday, need to drive across the state @7a to spend the day cleaning out my old house enough to be able to show it (finally moving on that again) without air conditioning because...
Wednesday, need to have all the detritus ready for trash pickup by 7a because my old house is right at the beginning of the route. Oh, and then drive back because...
Thursday, work at 8:30a gragaghnaaHAHAAHAAHAHAA

You know what they say...
View attachment 21740

...I'm hoping it doesn't have to come to that.

--Patrick

Simpsons already did it

Double checked with a friend today about going to see the new Star Trek tonight. I'd asked her sometime last week.

She responded with a very enthusiastic "yup!" When we started discussing which theatre to go to, she suddenly says, "Actually, I'm not feeling very well. Rain cheque?" I was confused because she'd just said yup. She said she didn't want to hurt my feelings.

Honestly, I'm more hurt she couldn't just be straight forward with me rather than getting my hopes up about going out tonight.

So I unfriended her. Probably an overreaction and I'll probably regret it in a few days, but I don't care. I'd prefer someone just be straight forward with me rather than getting my hopes up.

Does she have any health issues? I've had plans before that I've had to cancel pretty short notice because as much as I wanted to be there, physically it wasn't happening. I often wait pretty late to cancel because I really want to be there.

Does she have any health issues? I've had plans before that I've had to cancel pretty short notice because as much as I wanted to be there, physically it wasn't happening. I often wait pretty late to cancel because I really want to be there.
She said she was pretty exhausted from the last couple of days. Which I TOTALLY would've understood if she'd just said that first.

Cajungal

Staff member
Did you tell her all those things you just told us? Also, was this a one-time thing or an annoying habit of hers? Because if it was the first time she's ever done it, this could all be resolved by telling her exactly what was bothering you, I bet. If you even want to continue the friendship, that is. I don't know the whole situation or if this is a regular problem.

Did you tell her all those things you just told us? Also, was this a one-time thing or an annoying habit of hers? Because if it was the first time she's ever done it, this could all be resolved by telling her exactly what was bothering you, I bet. If you even want to continue the friendship, that is. I don't know the whole situation or if this is a regular problem.
Honestly, even though this was the first time, my intuition was telling me she'd cancel. I don't know why. Here's how the conversation went down:

Her: "Actually nick I really don't feel good today. I'm trying to fight it but I really think I should stay in today can I get a rain check.
Think I got too much sun over the weekend"

Me: "But...you just said yup?"

Her: "Because you're my friend and I didn't want to disappoint you. But I'm trying to learn to take care of myself more now"

Me: "You could've just said that first."

Her: "And your reaction right now is the reason why I felt I had to lie at first. I'm sorry nick about our plans."

Me: "I'm not disappointed that you had to cancel the plans. I'm disappointed you couldn't just be straight forward with me about it."

Her: "What can I say. I'm a flawed human being. Talk to you later nick"

Me: "Yeah."

And then I unfriended her.

Cajungal

Staff member
Well, you communicated to her what was wrong. That's all one can do. It's up to you whether it's a friendship worth keeping or not.

Well, I doubt it'll make you feel better about how she went about it, but for what it's worth I've done this to people before. I'll start a conversation positively, then remember something, or realize just how drained I am during the conversation, and have to change it. I feel bad about it, but here's what I figured is actually happening:

I'm stressed. I start talking with a good friend, and just travelling down the pre-arranged plan for the day. Talking to them makes me relaxed and suddenly I'm recognizing the stress I'm under, how I'm feeling, and expanding my thought process. This occasionally leads me to changing my direction. Most of the time I just go, "oh well" and continue on, but with a good friend who I know I can say no to and they will understand, I'll sometimes go ahead and cancel during the conversation intended to cement plans.

It sucks on both sides, but for me it's actually because I feel more comfortable with someone.

At any rate, whether this is the case with your friend or not, I'm sorry you had to deal with this. It sucks, for sure. I hope you can find a way to mend your friendship with her.

Well, you communicated to her what was wrong. That's all one can do. It's up to you whether it's a friendship worth keeping or not.
Honestly, the friendship has been strained for a few years, anyway. She lost it on me once back when I'd first dropped out of my practicum and was especially overemotional and snapping at everyone. She unfriended me back then. She reached out again about a year ago, but it's never been the same.