Rant VIII: The Reckoning

I went. Met him. Muttered something about being a writer. Probably just came across as a nervous idiot the whole time. He was nice about it, though. Took my card and said he'd look up my book.
Hey if as a writer you're going to be meeting more writers in the future, might as well start getting used to it now.

--Patrick

My water softener (which doesn't work properly) needs yearly maintenance (which costs a shitload of money for nearly no benefit). Once again it's that time of year. OK. So....want to make a rendez-vous for when the technician can come by to do his 5 minutes of launching, checking the values in the menu, declare everything ok, finish his coffee, and leave, for €100. Fine. Hmm.Oh, can't call - have to e-mail. Nice. Oh, no, can't email - have to fill in a form on their website. Ooookay. Hey, look - the WHOLE FORM doesn't have an open space ANYWHERE to give extra information. hmm. "When is most convenient for me?" with an option of...."Monday morning"/"Monday evening"/"Tuesday morning" etc. Errr....I work different shifts every week and every month. There's literally NO time of the week that's "best" for me, I have to work every possible part of the week at least once this month. Well, guess I'll let them know when they mail me to arrange the...oh, no, they'll call me - no option to ask text or mail as preferred method of contact - during office hours. I work NIGHTS and EVENINGS this month, bunch of shits. No matter where in the "office hours" you call me, I'll be ASLEEP.
I'm being FORCED to use this automated form, with NO way to add any extra info, purely for your convenience, but YOU'll CALL me with NO option to choose anything else, because FUCK my convenience? Holy shit, that's crappy customer service. You REALLY don't care in any way about what's nice or practical for anyone but your planner. I assure you, when he wakes me, which he CANNOT AVOID because he'll call me in the middle of what's the night for me, I'm going to throw my principles about "always being polite to call center/phone reps" out of the window and rip his throat out.

This is a minor thing, I'm aware, but it's just a last straw of a day full of impolite and uncaring jackasses all around me. Life and the world would be better off if well over half the people I've spoken to today would all decide to jump into the ocean together somewhere a thousand miles from the coast.

My ex's brother is getting married tomorrow. I was going to be in the wedding and was really looking forward to it. I've been dreading this weekend for a while and know its not gonna go well. I considered him a good friend and its just reminding me that more than just losing my ex, the breakup cost me a ton of friendships. I'm probably going to spend most of this weekend in a haze of loneliness, football, and drinking. I'm kinda hoping this will be some sort of symbolic last hurdle in getting over this, but I don't think things work that cleanly.

To upgrade the memory in my wife's HP 15 laptop - which has become notoriously slow thanks to the upgrade to Windows 10 - you have to do the following:

1. Remove the battery.
2. Remove about a dozen screws off the bottom of the laptop.
3. Remove two "pads" off the corners of the laptop so you can remove two more screws on the bottom of the laptop.
4. Pull out the optical drive.
5. Remove two more flat-head screws along the edge of the entrance to the optical drive.
6. Pry the keyboard up and off, disconnecting it by lifting up a tiny ZIF connector and pulling the keyboard ribbon out of the slot. (Yes, ribbon.)
7. Disconnect the power button connector strip AND the touchpad connector strip - same thing, a ribbon cable.
8. Remove the four screws holding the cover, then gently tug and pry the cover up and off.
9. Remove the WLAN module by unscrewing the one screw holding it in place, then lifting and tugging the module out from the board. (At this point, I'm thinking, y'know, this probably would have been a more logical place to put the memory card slot.)
10. Remove the hard drive... wait WHAT? Yes, to get to the RAM memory slot, you need to REMOVE THE FREAKIN' HARD DRIVE by unscrewing the two screws holding IT in place, then tugging it out, and lifting it up.
11. Disconnect the power cable, speaker cable, fan cable, and the display cable.
12. Remove the two screws holding the system board down, then lift the right side of the board up, then tug the board away from the connectors to the USB, sound, and HDMI ports.
13. Oh, look, there it is - on the BOTTOM of the system board. The memory module slot. Pry open the retaining tabs, and slide the new memory module in at an angle, seating it just right (because once you go back and put everything back in, you're SCREWED if it's not seated right). The tabs should close around the module.
14. Reverse everything you just did, praying that you didn't lose any screws, got everything connected up and RIGHT, and - once you get it booted up - the machine recognizes the memory card.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is the equivalent of "To remove headlamps, remove engine and front transaxle assembly" for computers.

MOVING! ARGH! And only our next door neighbor will help us because football is on. It's only week 4, people!! I swear to Jibbers this is how you find out who your real friends are.

MOVING! ARGH! And only our next door neighbor will help us because football is on. It's only week 4, people!! I swear to Jibbers this is how you find out who your real friends are.
I'll gladly and come help if you pay for my transportation and maybe dinner. Ah hell, I'll do it without dinner, too. :p

Man, if I know friends are moving, I'll pick a fight with them the week before just so they won't ask me to help.

To upgrade the memory in my wife's HP 15 laptop - which has become notoriously slow thanks to the upgrade to Windows 10 - you have to do the following:

1. Remove the battery.
2. Remove about a dozen screws off the bottom of the laptop.
3. Remove two "pads" off the corners of the laptop so you can remove two more screws on the bottom of the laptop.
4. Pull out the optical drive.
5. Remove two more flat-head screws along the edge of the entrance to the optical drive.
6. Pry the keyboard up and off, disconnecting it by lifting up a tiny ZIF connector and pulling the keyboard ribbon out of the slot. (Yes, ribbon.)
7. Disconnect the power button connector strip AND the touchpad connector strip - same thing, a ribbon cable.
8. Remove the four screws holding the cover, then gently tug and pry the cover up and off.
9. Remove the WLAN module by unscrewing the one screw holding it in place, then lifting and tugging the module out from the board. (At this point, I'm thinking, y'know, this probably would have been a more logical place to put the memory card slot.)
10. Remove the hard drive... wait WHAT? Yes, to get to the RAM memory slot, you need to REMOVE THE FREAKIN' HARD DRIVE by unscrewing the two screws holding IT in place, then tugging it out, and lifting it up.
11. Disconnect the power cable, speaker cable, fan cable, and the display cable.
12. Remove the two screws holding the system board down, then lift the right side of the board up, then tug the board away from the connectors to the USB, sound, and HDMI ports.
13. Oh, look, there it is - on the BOTTOM of the system board. The memory module slot. Pry open the retaining tabs, and slide the new memory module in at an angle, seating it just right (because once you go back and put everything back in, you're SCREWED if it's not seated right). The tabs should close around the module.
14. Reverse everything you just did, praying that you didn't lose any screws, got everything connected up and RIGHT, and - once you get it booted up - the machine recognizes the memory card.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is the equivalent of "To remove headlamps, remove engine and front transaxle assembly" for computers.
Y'know, the way you describe it makes me suspect the memory's not meant to be a CRU part in this particular model.

Yeah, I did find it. That was how I discovered I had to go and do all that just to get to the freakin' memory module.

I'm gonna call a computer repair place here in town in the morning.

The wife's laptop is now at the local repair shop. They won't guarantee anything, but it shouldn't be too difficult (for them, anyways).

He did point out that even by maxing the memory, WinX will still run slow on her machine because of the "log everything" nature of the new system.

I've resigned myself to the following facts:

-I will never have any semblance of a regular social life.
-I'll never be able to maintain a relationship.
-I'll never have a family of my own (nor am I sure I even want one)
-I'll never make it as a writer; at least enough to make a living from it.
-I'll never be able to hold down a job.
-I'll never be able to support myself.
-I'll be stuck living with my parents until the rest of their life. Following which...
-I'll probably wind up on streets.
-I'll die alone.

Cajungal

Staff member
Uh, just failed at parenting. Judged a spawn as if they were an adult and reacted as such.
I've failed at teaching in that way. Sometimes when a kid's really smart you forget that they still have the forethought and fine motor skills of a child.

I've failed at teaching in that way. Sometimes when a kid's really smart you forget that they still have the forethought and fine motor skills of a child.
The one that gets me the most is children large for their size. As in 6' at 12 yrs old.

=squirrel=

Say you couldn't point me towards resources on how to deal with children that have unique needs, could you?

Cajungal

Staff member
The one that gets me the most is children large for their size. As in 6' at 12 yrs old.

=squirrel=

Say you couldn't point me towards resources on how to deal with children that have unique needs, could you?
Probably! Details would help. Message me if you prefer. :)

Still depressed. Still done barely jack shit. Haven't been depressed for this long in awhile. Think I may have figured out what triggered it: something my ex said when we broke up. She said that I didn't have any ambition and I wasn't doing anything to fix it. Fine. But then, she also said she didn't think I'd ever do anything about it. And that fucking hurt because that's the sort of thing I think about myself all the time. It's probably the most hurtful thing someone has said to me since...I don't know how long. I don't need to hear it from someone else.

The worst part? She's probably right. I'm a loser, I've always been a loser, and I'll always be a loser.

Last edited:
Still depressed. Still done barely jack shit. Haven't been depressed for this long in awhile. Think I may have figured out what triggered it: something Alix said when we broke up. She said that I didn't have any ambition and I wasn't doing anything to fix it. Fine. But then, she also said she didn't think I'd ever do anything about it. And that fucking hurt because that's the sort of thing I think about myself all the time. I don't need to hear it from someone else.

The worst part? She's probably right. I'm a loser, I've always been a loser, and I'll always be a loser.
you need medical assistance. that is all.

I've tried multiple times. It doesn't help. I got like this while on my prescribed meds.
then i guess you are doomed? look we welcome you to vent, but at some point you have begun to trend the same thing, you express woe about how nothing is ever going to go right. we understand your frustration but only you can find the small things you are getting right. those small things will lead to bigger things going right, and so forth. I am there with you I feel like everything I ever do is a massive fuck up, but in the end i had to realize my perceptions of myself were not correct, I had to get many small things right that put me in line for raises and promotions at work, and that my family doesnt see a failure like I do. look I am not trying to tell you to pull yourself up, but you need to be the one to fix what ever is plaguing you in the end weather you do so by advocating for yourself or anything else that puts you back on the right track.

Everyone has things they do wrong. Things they regret. Things they wish they hadn't done/weren't still doing.
Most people are not overly bothered by these things, or at least not bothered to the point where it breaks a dam releasing the quantity of self-loathing you are experiencing.
I do not know why you get pushed past the breaking point more easily than the average human, but it happens to you. Regularly.
I don't know if it's something mental or environmental, but it's something that needs to be isolated and managed.

--Patrick