Random Video Game Crap

Not sure if this should go here or in What Are You Playing, but for those that play Cities Skylines, would you mind looking at my mess of a city? I find every one of my cities turn out this way. They start well enough with some planning, if really rough. I'm not really good at specific or exact measurements, like making rounded roads, as seen in the low residential area that I starrted with.

But eventually, I start losing patience and just plop things down without much thought. It's usually about this point where I give up and start a new city. And the whole thing feels like a cluttered, way too dense, chaotic mess. Though strangely still very functional. Traffic flow here averages about 85%. The majority of traffic is commercial vehicles. But it just looks ugly to me. Thoughts?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1778123403

Not sure if this should go here or in What Are You Playing, but for those that play Cities Skylines, would you mind looking at my mess of a city? I find every one of my cities turn out this way. They start well enough with some planning, if really rough. I'm not really good at specific or exact measurements, like making rounded roads, as seen in the low residential area that I starrted with.

But eventually, I start losing patience and just plop things down without much thought. It's usually about this point where I give up and start a new city. And the whole thing feels like a cluttered, way too dense, chaotic mess. Though strangely still very functional. Traffic flow here averages about 85%. The majority of traffic is commercial vehicles. But it just looks ugly to me. Thoughts?

I'll look in a few hours when I get home, but I can't imagine it will look any worse than the monstrosities I call cities.

figmentPez

Staff member
I was thinking about controller design today, and I want scroll wheels on controllers. Like, put one on each of the shoulders, above or below and parallel to the LB/RB buttons.

The McCree, Torb, and D.Va ones, I agree those hurt the game. But the rest seem fine.
Also why is this not in the Overwatch thread? We still have one, y’know.
I was thinking about controller design today, and I want scroll wheels on controllers. Like, put one on each of the shoulders, above or below and parallel to the LB/RB buttons.
I used to have a Panasonic VCR like that. It was awesome. No up, up, up, up, up, etc to set times, just scroll it in.

—Patrick

So just from a quick look, I want to verify that everything in this save is here because you expanded out your city by a couple of tiles but it doesn't look like it's grown very much? I guess it probably is because you said it's too dense. But this is so early in the game that it's hard to really say anything is bad.
1561312216490.png
The only thing I really see "wrong" is that you've kind of penned in your residential space and didn't really give it room to grow. And the tiles you purchased don't seem to connect in a way that will help that, other than the little bit that you ran up right against the highway. I assume you expanded the direction you did to snag the oil? The reason you don't have traffic problems yet is because your population is still pretty low, but all of those small roads are going to cause congestion later.

The other thing I'm seeing is this area.

1561312690350.png

There are 2 issues here. 1 is that your round about is feeding in to small roads on the right there. You might want to feed it into a longer 6 lane road, and then let roads offshoot from it. Having that tiny 6 lane road there is going to get really congested later. I would also recommend moving your campus so that it has a lot more space, because campuses end up turning in to land hogs really quick if you want them to grow.

To address another thing you brought up, if you aren't great at building roundabouts and highway ramps, I recommend going on Steam Workshop and find ones that people already built. Some people are crazy good at it and the things they make are very efficient. One of the creators I follow is Timboh, who has some nice ones.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=406303686

Also I don't know if you use mods, but this is my favorite traffic management tool.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=583429740

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Ooooh the latest KF2 patch adds Prestige Rank 5.

And the skin for Berserker at prestige 5 is for the Eviscerator.

I must have it.

*sigh* Cities Skylines just froze and crashed on me so hard, I had to reset my entire computer.

Come back to the game to discover I lost over an hour's worth of work on my city: a huge overhaul to make room for a new tram system; an industrial train station and system; an massive new roundabout. All gone.

Fucking hell.

FTFY

Also I want to see some CCG boosters in that pic.

--Patrick
I think my main issue with comparing the two is there is a secondary market for CCGs. You can just buy the singles you want from a million places if you're building a deck. You can also draft with unopened packs, which is a fun format in and of itself. It's not a strictly controlled environment like loot boxes in video games are.

It's not a strictly controlled environment like loot boxes in video games are.
Excuse me, I believe you meant to say “Surprise Mechanics,” you jerk. How dare you suggest video game companies make anything so crass as loot boxes.

I was thinking about when a game really amazed you the first time you saw it. It only happened to me with two games: Battletoads and Contra III.

Last night I decided to show Battletoads to Gaby. She also was amazed! I tried to show her the whole game without warps. I'm proud that I made it until the Clinger Winger with my first continue, but still can't finish that level.

I don't know if it's the first time I was amazed by a game, but one of the most memorable experiences I had of being awed the first time I played a game was emerging from the Vault for the first time in Fallout 3.

Those guys at Bethesda sure know how to craft an experience.

One of my most memorable is the end of the Trial of the King sequence in Chrono Trigger. When Marle and her Dad reconcile, with Manoria Cathedral playing in the background. After all the crap they'd put each other through in the game, how they work it out then. For some reason those sprites just had the emotions down, and it still "gets" me a bit, both the sequence, and just hearing the song brings it back to me.

The game is over 24 years old. Spoilers are allowed. ;)

One of my most memorable is the end of the Trial of the King sequence in Chrono Trigger. When Marle and her Dad reconcile, with Manoria Cathedral playing in the background. After all the crap they'd put each other through in the game, how they work it out then. For some reason those sprites just had the emotions down, and it still "gets" me a bit, both the sequence, and just hearing the song brings it back to me.

The game is over 24 years old. Spoilers are allowed. ;)
My choice is very similar to this one. It's the entire opera scene and Ultros fight in Final Fantasy 6. Having to have one of your party members disguise herself as an opera star and sing on stage, all while you fight a crazy, pervy octopus in the rafters above, so as to lure a crazy gambler and his airship to the show so you can attempt to hijack it. And the fact that they managed to do a pretty good job of simulating an operatic performance with 16bit midi sounds is pretty impressive.

GasBandit

Staff member
The first time I saw and played DOOM. It was so much better than the previous gold standard (Wolf3D) that I was absolutely blown away.

Lessee...
-As usual, Shadow of the Colossus gets a mention for its ability to make me feel absolutely puny AND for making me care about a stubborn, willful horse.
-Emerging from Kokiri Village onto the Hyrulean Fields for that first time in Ocarina of Time and realizing just how vast the game really is.
-Getting multiball in the Addams Family or hitting the king's ransom in the Black Knight 2000 pinball games.
-Morrowind. I haven't been submerged in that much lore since Myst/Riven. I still get nostalgia goosebumps even from the trailer.
-Darkstone was my first 3D RPG. Being able to rotate the camera in a hack-n-slash (rather than being stuck in standard isometric view) was a new experience for me (though not always an improvement). Also this was back when I had a 3D-enabled computer (one with shutter glasses) so playing it really took on a new dimension. Dungeon Siege was fun to play this way, too, but the UI didn't play as nicely with the glasses as Darkstone.

--Patrick

City of Heroes was the best example from my memory. After spending so much time bringing a superhero to life, I stepped out into Atlas Plaza and was... blown away by the scale and feel of the game. It was also my first MMO, so I hadn’t experienced anything that vast before.

City of Heroes was the best example from my memory. After spending so much time bringing a superhero to life, I stepped out into Atlas Plaza and was... blown away by the scale and feel of the game. It was also my first MMO, so I hadn’t experienced anything that vast before.
As someone who's currently playing it... City of Heroes did that to me when it came back. It's still the best iteration of what it is (superhero MMO) and Champions Online's sudden decline in player base is evidence of that.

Atlas Plaza costume contests. Newbie sewer runs. Old school Hami raids. Those were the days. :D

GasBandit

Staff member
Never heard of any of the three (unsurprisingly).
Only have the trailer you posted to go on.

--Patrick
River City Ransom was one of the best NES games. It was a 2 player co-op beat-em-up with RPG elements (leveling up, stats, money, shops) and involved an open world map that you had to hunt down rival gang bosses and defeat them so that you could confront the final boss (at the eponymous rival high school, River City High) and rescue your girlfriend.

Last edited: