Random Video Game Crap

Of the two, I‘ve only seen that first movie. But even when I see the second, I’m-a still rate the first one higher.

—Patrick

So...

Expecting to have the turntable sold and cash in hand by lunchtime. AMD keynote at CES or no, I'm probably going to find the best deal on an 8GB RX 580 and order that. And since this upcoming payday is one with fewer bills, I'm in the market for a new game. Any suggestions? Preferably on Steam.

Or... what's the Discord FOTM that everyone will stop playing five minutes before my download completes? :p

So...

Expecting to have the turntable sold and cash in hand by lunchtime. AMD keynote at CES or no, I'm probably going to find the best deal on an 8GB RX 580 and order that. And since this upcoming payday is one with fewer bills, I'm in the market for a new game. Any suggestions? Preferably on Steam.

Or... what's the Discord FOTM that everyone will stop playing five minutes before my download completes? :p
What genre are you looking for? There's a billion great games out there for cheap

What genre are you looking for? There's a billion great games out there for cheap
Something current that will give the new setup a decent workout. Wouldn't mind multiplayer for the rare times I wake up early (for me) on nights off and can actually hang out on Discord.

GasBandit

Staff member
Something current that will give the new setup a decent workout. Wouldn't mind multiplayer for the rare times I wake up early (for me) on nights off and can actually hang out on Discord.
Everybody's left me on my own these days, the only guy playing with multiple players lately it seems is Dave playing PUBG :p

the Discord FOTM that everyone will stop playing five minutes before my download completes? :p
I SO feel you there.

Also if you missed the Discord it is almost criminally easy to pick up a used 8GB RX580 for ~130 these days, or even buy one new for ~$180.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Kidding aside, I'm almost always down for multiplayer anything (other than PUBG or Overwatch). My personal favorites are still Vermintide 2 and Killing Floor 2. I've been playing a lot of Factorio lately, and that does do multiplayer, but it doesn't exactly tax your GPU as it is a 2d sprite game.

Random gaming rant:

I'd love to see the major studios experiment with something similar to what Double Fine does every couple of years: Amnesia Fortnight. Double Fine would take a break from whatever project they're working on, let EVERYONE on their team pitch their own game.

Then they'd vote for three or four games from that list, split into smaller teams and make a prototype demo. It lead to interesting, innovative smaller games like Stacking and Costume Quest. They did other prototypes, like Steed, that I wish WOULD be made into a full game.

But imagine that on a scale with big studio developers. Imagine everyone on the God of War team pitched a game and they split into groups to make not a massive, AAA game, but a series of smaller games. You'd see new voices on the market and new, innovative games.

I firmly believe every game doesn't need to be a massive, multi-million dollar, open world game. I think smaller, reasonably priced games, even from major studios, could be an interesting boon to the industry.

Mind you, if everyone on the God of War team pitched a game, that's what? Several hundred pitches? On the one hand, I'd say limit the number. On the other hand, that kind of defeats the purpose of the experiment.

Random gaming rant:

I'd love to see the major studios experiment with something similar to what Double Fine does every couple of years: Amnesia Fortnight. Double Fine would take a break from whatever project they're working on, let EVERYONE on their team pitch their own game.

Then they'd vote for three or four games from that list, split into smaller teams and make a prototype demo. It lead to interesting, innovative smaller games like Stacking and Costume Quest. They did other prototypes, like Steed, that I wish WOULD be made into a full game.

But imagine that on a scale with big studio developers. Imagine everyone on the God of War team pitched a game and they split into groups to make not a massive, AAA game, but a series of smaller games. You'd see new voices on the market and new, innovative games.

I firmly believe every game doesn't need to be a massive, multi-million dollar, open world game. I think smaller, reasonably priced games, even from major studios, could be an interesting boon to the industry.

Mind you, if everyone on the God of War team pitched a game, that's what? Several hundred pitches? On the one hand, I'd say limit the number. On the other hand, that kind of defeats the purpose of the experiment.
This will never happen, because those big AAA game companies are beholden to their shareholders. The investors want big Blockbuster projects with immediate returns on investment, with exponential growth each year. They care only about the short term, because if returns start to go down they pull their money out and walk away to the next investment while the game company burns down in the background.

This will never happen, because those big AAA game companies are beholden to their shareholders. The investors want big Blockbuster projects with immediate returns on investment, with exponential growth each year. They care only about the short term, because if returns start to go down they pull their money out and walk away to the next investment while the game company burns down in the background.
Which is incredibly unfortunate, honestly. I think it'd be fun.

I think there's a vast gulf between the hundreds of people who worked on a game, and the dozens (at most, probably less than a dozen) people who had actual creative control. Modern AAA games have ARMIES of (mostly digital) artists, but much much fewer designers who influence direction.

I think there's a vast gulf between the hundreds of people who worked on a game, and the dozens (at most, probably less than a dozen) people who had actual creative control. Modern AAA games have ARMIES of (mostly digital) artists, but much much fewer designers who influence direction.
That's very true. For a similar idea to work, it would probably need a different format.

At the very least, maybe just splitting everyone up to make a couple of indie-sized games could be viable.

I tried watching through the credits out of respect like I usually do, but made it only through 10 minutes before we checked that it was over half an hour and just skipped the rest.

Seems like Valve would be an ideal studio to do something like this then.

Well, if they still made games, of course.

Seems like Valve would be an ideal studio to do something like this then.

Well, if they still made games, of course.
That's sort of the problem at Valve actually; their corporate structure basically operates under a "if you can get people to work with you, you can do it" philosophy... but the most attractive projects (from a management standpoint) were ones that reduced workload for Steam or made Steam money, so those were the ones that people joined up on. They also had the DOTA2 team, but DOTA2 launched too late and could never makes gains on LoLs, which is STILL the big dog in the MOBA scene. With Steam collapsing in on itself due to inattention and apathy from it's teams, Valve is kind of fucked without a massive corporate restructuring.

And yes, they need to make games to anchor the platform again. Steam became a THING because of HL2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Left 4 Dead... and because no one else wanted to run their own service. But making your own digital storefront is child's play now; Steam can't rely on that fact anymore. It needs content to draw people to the service and a price drop for developers.

Hbomberguy has been playing Donkey Kong 64 to completion (misery) for trans charity Mermaids. His goal was $3000, and last I checked has hit $200,000.

Also, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was on the stream

https://m.livestreamfails.com/post/39514

Wait until the GOP gets wind of this one.
Half the reason they got so much money is some conservative guy complained about "funding untested drugs", which is why AOC jumped in. It's like Conservatives don't understand how this works.