Random Video Game Crap

I am not a huge fan of Final Fantasy 8, but it has one thing going for it over all the other Final Fantasies.

The Chocobo theme is by far the best one.

FF8 is the FF that I've gone back to the least, and I'll admit, I've got a hankering to play it again, at least for a little while.

So, I'm playing The Last of Us, something you should all kill, main, stab and steal to do if you must, and I meet the character Bill. Bill is super duper familiar but I couldn't place him. It was driving me crazy so I Guggled him.

Fuck! Dangerous Dan Dority!

Just read a thing where it said Bioware was looking to fix the choice mess made with Dragon Age 2 by listening to what the fans want.

DON'T FUCKING DO THAT!

Just don't make a shitty game for fuck's sakes. Don't make a game by committee. Make a game that's good and satisfying throughout. Fuck.

Just read a thing where it said Bioware was looking to fix the choice mess made with Dragon Age 2 by listening to what the fans want.

DON'T FUCKING DO THAT!

Just don't make a shitty game for fuck's sakes. Don't make a game by committee. Make a game that's good and satisfying throughout. Fuck.
Listening to fans is good, except you need to only listen to a small group of fans dedicated to making the game great. These people are generally known as playtesters and focus groups.

Listening to all your fans at once will just result in too many "good" ideas being crammed into the game, none of which work well together, and none of which are truly fleshed out.

Either that or the Internet trolls get a hold of you, and the protagonist to DA3 ends up being named Dickwad McPedobear.

I just watched the Revan mission in The Old Republic.

Bioware needs to be gut punched and forgotten.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. FF8 is, for whatever inexplicable reason, my favorite FF game after the jump to the polygon era.

Reactions: Cat
I just watched the Revan mission in The Old Republic.

Bioware needs to be gut punched and forgotten.
I did that mission on Republic side. You basically break him out of a prison. There's also one where you find HK-47. They're pretty blatant callbacks to keep people reeled in. Also there's a DLC mission you can buy to get your own HK companion.

I honestly never really figured out what it was about 8 I didn't like. I think part of it came from never getting invested in Squall's story, as they seemed to take what little personality Cloud had and just ripped it out, leaving Squall with nothing but "..." and "Whatever" to fill the void. Junctioning was cool in theory, but it felt like an easily abused and kind of flawed system in that the junctioned spells were a risk to cast too often without the always-boring Draw farming.

Okay so maybe I did figure out what it was about 8 I didn't like.

I think the fact that I always played super conservative with my magic in all the FF games is one of the reasons that I was fine with the junction system.

I think the fact that I always played super conservative with my magic in all the FF games is one of the reasons that I was fine with the junction system.
Yeah I could see that making things easier. I play the same in early bits of the game but once I can buy/find Ethers/Tents I generally don't worry much about conservation. I grind enough that gold is barely an issue so I have a pretty ample supply of restoratives. I think 7 was the first time I was remotely conservative of spells, but that was mainly due to leveling All Materias. Once those were at 3+ uses it wasn't an issue.

I never had a Nintendo or Super Nintendo growing up, so my first exposure to Final Fantasy (apart from one gaming session on a buddy's SNES with FFII.... ahem... FFIV) was with Final Fantasy VII. We stayed up ALL NIGHT playing it through the first night he had it... his mom came out to the living room and found us all passed out in front of the TV (somewhere just outside Midgar, I believe).

I loved the Materia system, I loved how each character had a clearly-defined role... when I went back later and played FFVI, I just got overwhelmed by the number of characters.

FFVIII just never managed to get the same feeling from me that VII did, and I fully believe it's because I tie VII to one of the happiest times in my life.

I never had a Nintendo or Super Nintendo growing up, so my first exposure to Final Fantasy (apart from one gaming session on a buddy's SNES with FFII.... ahem... FFIV) was with Final Fantasy VII. We stayed up ALL NIGHT playing it through the first night he had it... his mom came out to the living room and found us all passed out in front of the TV (somewhere just outside Midgar, I believe).

I loved the Materia system, I loved how each character had a clearly-defined role... when I went back later and played FFVI, I just got overwhelmed by the number of characters.

FFVIII just never managed to get the same feeling from me that VII did, and I fully believe it's because I tie VII to one of the happiest times in my life.
This, as far as I can tell, is one of the main reasons 7 has spawned the legion of spinoffs and such. For a lot of people it was the first FF, hell, first JRPG, to really launch into the spotlight. There were tons of great RPG experiences to be had before it, but this one was the launching point for so many. It was the same when I was in high school. Most people my age that were into games got hooked on FF, FF2 or FF3, so generally 2 and 3 were held in higher regard. Those a bit younger than me were hooked with 7, and in rare cases 8. It also helped that both versions had PC releases (granted they were horrible ports that were ridiculously hard to run).

FF8's junction system was most easily abused if you were good at the card game. Master the card game, and you'll never lack good magic to junction. This might seem counter-intuitive to a lot of players though, for a minigame to be the key to power.

I liked the card game. I did not like that fucking random rule spreading. FUCK. RANDOM.
Oh god random. It's all like "Oh you have a great deck with awesome unique cards? HAHAFUCKYOU let's see you play with one unique card and four crappy ones! Get ready to lose your unique!"

Capcom says that it's too expensive to make a 2D fighter with traditional sprites anymore despite tiny companies like Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue) putting out unbelievably gorgeous sprite based fighting games on a shoestring budget and making a profit on them. Hell, apparently Dragon Crown's budget was a million dollars and it was the most expensive game Vanillaware has ever made.

Fucking Capcom.

At least they're not trotting out that Morrigan sprite in every compilation game now. That shit got old a decade or so into it's reuse.

Judging from Capcom's treatment of the Mega Man series, I can only conclude that they hate games, gamers, and gaming in general, and are out to half-ass everything as much as possible.

To everyone with a Wii U, I've found this week's upcoming Virtual Console release: three different versions of Street Fighter II. There will be Street Fighter II, Super Street Fighter II: the New Challengers and Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting.

Capcom is really a double-edged sword. Sometimes you get something really fun and awesome out of them, like Mega Man 9, 10, and DuckTales Remastered. Other times, you get shit like the current treatment of their fighters. I don't want a Goddamn Madden Street Fighter every year, just give me Super/Ultra/Master/Holyshit Street Fighter right off the bat.

Capcom makes me sad, because I love Mega Man, and I honestly feel that the Mega Man X series was the epitome of mega man and platforming.

I pretty much agree 100% with this video