Random Video Game Crap

GasBandit

Staff member
Hooray for straw man caricatures invented by opponents! They settle arguments the best!

Edit for ?:
@ThatNickGuy the above is self explanatory. The image you posted is obviously not quoting anybody, it's an imaginary conversation invented by someone who dislikes GG so they can cast it in a bad light while making themselves look "reasonable." It's hugbox circlejerkery of the first order. It's no different than if I was to invent a quote by you and then have an argument with it where I script you into looking ridiculous. That is the textbook definition of a Straw Man fallacy.

Last edited:
Hooray for straw man caricatures invented by opponents! They settle arguments the best!

Edit for ?:
@ThatNickGuy the above is self explanatory. The image you posted is obviously not quoting anybody, it's an imaginary conversation invented by someone who dislikes GG so they can cast it in a bad light while making themselves look "reasonable." It's hugbox circlejerkery of the first order. It's no different than if I was to invent a quote by you and then have an argument with it where I script you into looking ridiculous. That is the textbook definition of a Straw Man fallacy.
I've seen so many gamers get all up in arms over this stuff, though. Any visit to a gaming forum or comment section and it's filled with these sorts of arguments. There is some perfectly valid criticism being made in gaming these days and there are many that simply don't want to hear or believe it.

I've seen so many gamers get all up in arms over this stuff, though. Any visit to a gaming forum or comment section and it's filled with these sorts of arguments. There is some perfectly valid criticism being made in gaming these days and there are many that simply don't want to hear or believe it.
However, it throws all "gamers" under one umbrella. This like saying there are "Americans" who want gun control, and two seconds later, "Americans" who want free open carry for everybody everywhere. It's true, but it's still falsely painting the "opponent", in this case "gamers" or in my example "Americans" as hypocrites or self-absorbed or incoherent, by grouping all of them together as one block. You'll rarely see a single person claim games should be art, but also immune from social analysis.

In other news, I'm finally submitting a refund request to Green Man Gaming over Arkham Knight.

I'd made the mistake of pre-ordering the game - season pass and all. It was the big game that I got this new gaming rig for, rather than a PS4. Everyone's heard all the problems the game has had, of course. I've had my share. When it first released, the textures were atrocious, the framerate was laughable, and it would occasionally crash entirely. Not often, fortunately. But after updating my drivers and editing some files that someone made in a tutorial, I got the game to a working state while WB worked on the patch. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt that they could actually turn it around and fix it. After all, they had plenty of fantastic PC ports, like Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, and Shadow of Mordor, all of which played smooth as silk on my machine.

I was able to finish the game, which was largely disappointing for me. The horrendous PC port aside, the game itself was just not as solid as previous entries. Too much focus on the Batmobile, especially the really lackluckster tank battles, and the story itself was really ho-hum compared to previous entries (even Arkham Origins, which had its moments). The game was still mostly enjoyable, though. Just disappointing, especially compared to its predecessors. I even decided to start a New Game Plus while I waited for the patch.

Unfortunately, with WB's final patch - along with a statement that basically says "We can't fix all of it" - the game is nearly unplayable. The game crashes more often than it did before, even crashing so hard as to shut my computer down entirely.

So yeah, I'm sick of this shit. GMG were nice enough to cancel my original pre-order so I could upgrade to the Season Pass. And they've said they're honouring WB's promise to allow refunds until the end of the year. I'll let you guys know if I get my refund.[DOUBLEPOST=1447095046,1447094881][/DOUBLEPOST]
However, it throws all "gamers" under one umbrella. This like saying there are "Americans" who want gun control, and two seconds later, "Americans" who want free open carry for everybody everywhere. It's true, but it's still falsely painting the "opponent", in this case "gamers" or in my example "Americans" as hypocrites or self-absorbed or incoherent, by grouping all of them together as one block. You'll rarely see a single person claim games should be art, but also immune from social analysis.
That's true. It's stated a little too broadly and throws all gamers under the bus. Which isn't true at all. But it certainly still rings true with how a large (or at least vocal) portion of the gaming community is voicing their displeasure.

In other news, I'm finally submitting a refund request to Green Man Gaming over Arkham Knight.

I'd made the mistake of pre-ordering the game - season pass and all. It was the big game that I got this new gaming rig for, rather than a PS4. Everyone's heard all the problems the game has had, of course. I've had my share. When it first released, the textures were atrocious, the framerate was laughable, and it would occasionally crash entirely. Not often, fortunately. But after updating my drivers and editing some files that someone made in a tutorial, I got the game to a working state while WB worked on the patch. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt that they could actually turn it around and fix it. After all, they had plenty of fantastic PC ports, like Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, and Shadow of Mordor, all of which played smooth as silk on my machine.

I was able to finish the game, which was largely disappointing for me. The horrendous PC port aside, the game itself was just not as solid as previous entries. Too much focus on the Batmobile, especially the really lackluckster tank battles, and the story itself was really ho-hum compared to previous entries (even Arkham Origins, which had its moments). The game was still mostly enjoyable, though. Just disappointing, especially compared to its predecessors. I even decided to start a New Game Plus while I waited for the patch.

Unfortunately, with WB's final patch - along with a statement that basically says "We can't fix all of it" - the game is nearly unplayable. The game crashes more often than it did before, even crashing so hard as to shut my computer down entirely.

So yeah, I'm sick of this shit. GMG were nice enough to cancel my original pre-order so I could upgrade to the Season Pass. And they've said they're honouring WB's promise to allow refunds until the end of the year. I'll let you guys know if I get my refund.[DOUBLEPOST=1447095046,1447094881][/DOUBLEPOST]

That's true. It's stated a little too broadly and throws all gamers under the bus. Which isn't true at all. But it certainly still rings true with how a large (or at least vocal) portion of the gaming community is voicing their displeasure.

I already got my refund from GMG. Not even store credit, they just deposited cash right into my account.

Weirdly enough, this was a couple weeks ago, and Arkham Knight is still active on my steam account, fully playable.

I already got my refund from GMG. Not even store credit, they just deposited cash right into my account.

Weirdly enough, this was a couple weeks ago, and Arkham Knight is still active on my steam account, fully playable.
Weird. That was something I was curious about, too. Because since they only give you a key, they don't have direct access to your Steam account.

Heh, shit, if I'd known I could keep it, refund or not, I would've done it day one and then hoped for a patch!

Weird. That was something I was curious about, too. Because since they only give you a key, they don't have direct access to your Steam account.

Heh, shit, if I'd known I could keep it, refund or not, I would've done it day one and then hoped for a patch!
Well, they should be able to deauthorize that key, which would cause steam to then deactivate your copy. But I wonder if they just forgot, didn't have my key from the pre-order way back when and didn't want to bother getting it, or just said "Fuck it" since WB is likely reimbursing them.

GasBandit

Staff member
What game gives you a cannibal option?
Fallout.[DOUBLEPOST=1447198415,1447198331][/DOUBLEPOST]I just always have to chuckle how, in all these games where cannibalism is an option, it never considers cannibals would treat human meat as any other ingredient, to be prepared, etc.. nope, it's always cannibals mean EATING THE WHOLE THING RAW IN SITU LIKE A STARVED WOLF OM NOM NOM NOM BURP

Fallout.[DOUBLEPOST=1447198415,1447198331][/DOUBLEPOST]I just always have to chuckle how, in all these games where cannibalism is an option, it never considers cannibals would treat human meat as any other ingredient, to be prepared, etc.. nope, it's always cannibals mean EATING THE WHOLE THING RAW IN SITU LIKE A STARVED WOLF OM NOM NOM NOM BURP
In New Vegas, the White Glove Society used to be cannibals. Some of them still are. The ones that are are mostly concerned with simulating human taste (so they don't have to eat people anymore) or creating delicacies of human flesh. So yeah... it's actually been addressed.

GasBandit

Staff member
In New Vegas, the White Glove Society used to be cannibals. Some of them still are. The ones that are are mostly concerned with simulating human taste (so they don't have to eat people anymore) or creating delicacies of human flesh. So yeah... it's actually been addressed.
Heh, it's just so silly though, the way it's presented. I mean, I eat chicken. I eat chicken ALL THE TIME. I have eaten SO MANY chickens. But if I encounter a live chicken I'm not going to pounce on it and devour it, feathers and all, cooking be damned.

In fact, if I find a dead chicken chances are I'm not going to eat it, even if I cook it first. I mean, maybe it's different in the Wasteland, I guess, but it's not just Fallout that treats cannibalism like that.

Went into Gamestop to pick up Fallout 4. A guy let me in the door ahead of him, but since he got there first I let him ahead of me in line. Ahead, you could hear "Fallout 4, Fallout 4." This guy gets to the counter and real quiet I heard, "um ... I have a preorder for Tomb Raider."

I am not a guy who enjoys let's plays or streamers or shit like that, but I cannot imagine ANYTHING more dreary than watching people play Fallout 4 or CoDBlOps 3 which is all people are streaming now.

Streaming horror games and Mario Maker and stuff like that, I get. Watching a guy pick through ruins looking for tin cans and wrenches? You might as well ask me to hide cacti in my foreskin.

Hey, guys, Streamlord0199293939 here. We're playing some FAAAAROUT FOOOOUR. Ok, well, I see a shack guys. Should I look inside? The last shack had a skeleton in it and some beer bottles. Let's see what's in this one. OH SHIT, guys, there's some aluminum cans, I need aluminum really badly for my base. Ok, remember to like and subscribe to my channel guys.

They should do like my wife and get in character while playing and talking to themselves.

... she doesn't stream or let's play; she just does this while playing Fallout/Skyrim.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, I do not understand the appeal of Let's Plays.

Unrelated to that, some of the face edits I've seen for Fallout 4 are AMAZING.

Examples:

When I started New Vegas, I started going through the whole face thing, and about a minute in, I realized that I play exclusively in first person and could look like a turnip for all it matters.

It would be interesting if others started responding to how attractive you make your character. Disturbing, but interesting.

When I started New Vegas, I started going through the whole face thing, and about a minute in, I realized that I play exclusively in first person and could look like a turnip for all it matters.
That's what I thought at first too, but then I realized I still see myself in VATS. Plus, sometimes it's just fun to go into third person mode and admire how good I look.