Random Video Game Crap

"group in favor of individuality ends up all looking more or less the same", news at 11. I mean, almost every young modern urban subculture proclaims individuality. Doesn't mean all goths/punks/beatniks/grungers/emoes :p/whatever don't end up looking similar with "individual" tweaks and variations on a theme.

My niece was so into goth stuff when she was in high school...until I told her "You're just as conformist as those jocks. You're just wearing a different uniform."

If you're doing a thing to fit in, or if you're doing a thing to stand apart, the reason is the same--you're letting other people dictate your actions. Whatever it is you're doing, you have to do it for yourself.

I wore goth shit in college because dressing that way made me happy. That's the only reason that matters.

I came to realize a thing at one of my jobs a while back.
The department where I worked was very fraternal, and when I first entered it, someone actually said to me, "You gotta get rid of <blah> and maybe see about doing <blah> if you want to fit in."
I changed nothing. I was still accepted into the group.
A year later, I realized that the process had probably happened went something like this:

1) "You are part of our group, but if you want to be part of us there are 'standards.'"
2) I change nothing.
3) Somewhere along the way, the community is presented with a conundrum. I am by definition part of this community, but do not meet "the standards."
4) Through no definitive action other than that defnition, "the standards" get amended/exceptionated from "the standards" to "the standards + PatrThom"
5) Over time, "the standards + PatrThom" conflates to "the standards," and nobody notices exactly when it happens.

--Patrick

I didn't want to get a new console just to play one game. At least with the PC, I have more options (even some that were already in my Steam library).
If I remember your system specs correctly, you should be fine. You should be able to play the game with roughly the same graphical fidelity of the PS4 version. You just might not be able to enable some of the super cutting edge stuff.

GasBandit

Staff member
Boy, Cities: Skylines sure likes to crash a lot.[DOUBLEPOST=1429845706,1429845296][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I just noticed this about parking lots at the train stations... The handicapped spots. "HA HA GIMPY, HOW ABOUT YOU PARK IN FUCKING NEVERLAND, OK?!"

If I remember your system specs correctly, you should be fine. You should be able to play the game with roughly the same graphical fidelity of the PS4 version. You just might not be able to enable some of the super cutting edge stuff.
These are my specs, in case you're interested. Is it wrong that I'm actually thinking of selling and replacing the parts I need?

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Video: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Memory: 8.2 GB

GasBandit

Staff member
These are my specs, in case you're interested. Is it wrong that I'm actually thinking of selling and replacing the parts I need?

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Video: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Memory: 8.2 GB
Which of the 200 series is it? That's kind of important. There's a huge difference between, say, a 270 and a 290x.

Which of the 200 series is it? That's kind of important. There's a huge difference between, say, a 270 and a 290x.
I...don't know. I've just spent the last 10 minutes googling how to find out, but all it leads to is "200 series."

(And I don't have the box handy to look that up, either.)

I...don't know. I've just spent the last 10 minutes googling how to find out, but all it leads to is "200 series."

(And I don't have the box handy to look that up, either.)
I'm not sure how in windows 8, but in most windows versions, it's my computer, system properties, device manager, expand display adapters, and it should list it there. (there's other paths to device management, but that's off the top of my head.)

Also, I just noticed this about parking lots at the train stations... The handicapped spots. "HA HA GIMPY, HOW ABOUT YOU PARK IN FUCKING NEVERLAND, OK?!"

That parking lot has more handicapped spaces than I've ever seen in real life. How many people are getting seriously injured in your city?!

GasBandit

Staff member
That parking lot has more handicapped spaces than I've ever seen in real life. How many people are getting seriously injured in your city?!
Apparently not enough to the point where they're using the handicapped spots that are farther from the door than the regular ones. Which is all but one of them.

I'm worried life in all your sim-games isn't that different from Halforums Academy. "Murder? Mayhem? Hey, let's have sex in a traffic circle!" ;)

Ok haven't seen anyone mention it, so I'll post it here.
GTAV.png

At first I thought it was going to be an action show, and that it might not have legs, but then I saw it's more about how GTA affected society rather than a story set in the GTA universe.

Still, the other one would've been interesting.

--Patrick

Watched ProJared play EverQuest 1, holy shit how did I ever manage to not only play that game, but raid and heal in it? It looks like such a mess compared to modern MMOs.

Wait, Jack Thompson? :/ I don't like where this is going. Have we reached the point where he's going to be portrayed as a hero of the people?

This guy's videos crack me up so hard. He used to have a ton more Second Life videos but he seems to clear out his channel every so often for some reason.