Postage to Politicians

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine who is doing law in North Carolina just posted to his facebook a mini-rant about some mail he received from his congressman. Apparently he got a beautiful large pamphlet/info sheet with a brief rundown of all the congressman has done in the last year, and inviting concerned citizens to return a comment card with questions and concerns. The catch is that the concerned citizen has to pay for the postage, in order to 'cut costs.' On the converse, this card/leaflet thing printed in full glossy color was paid for and mailed using taxpayer dollars, and it states this fact in the fine print right on the card.

Is that how it works typically in America? I'm fairly certain that in Canada I can write my Member of Parliament for free. If I address an envelope to him, I don't even have to attach a stamp. If it goes to a mailbox, and is addressed to an MP, Canada Post bills it to the government. I thought that would be how it works everywhere.

Try ordering an Iced Tea in the USA and you'll find out how different things you take for granted work "everywhere" man.

Well, don't get me wrong: I realize that every aspect of my Canadian life (much less my Newfoundland one) are not universal truths. That expectation was shattered when I was eight, and my father got grief for asking for "serviettes" at Planet Hollywood in Florida. But providing a free and easy way to hear from your constituents ... especially in the richest most powerful country in the world ... just seems obvious.

The catch is that the concerned citizen has to pay for the postage, in order to 'cut costs.' On the converse, this card/leaflet thing printed in full glossy color was paid for and mailed using taxpayer dollars, and it states this fact in the fine print right on the card.
Congresscritters pull shit like this all the damn time.

K

Kitty Sinatra

But providing a free and easy way to hear from your constituents ... especially in the richest most powerful country in the world ... just seems obvious.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised too. Not much, not judging, just a little surprised.

You can go to their websites and email them for free, or call their office. The only time I ever get mail from any one in office is during an election. Even then it's just looking for money or tearing into the opposition. I've never been asked to fill out a survey as to how they are doing.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Of all the places to save money, making your constituents pay their government owned postal service to talk to their government seems like it would save very little real money.

I guess I didn't think 50 cents is that much of an obstacle. Sure, it would be nice, but does it really matter? Like I said, you can always email them for free.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I suppose it just seems odd to me that every avenue of communication wouldn't be made freely, easily and readily available as possible.

I have a feeling, while it may be a good idea, it would just get abused by lobbyists. They already call people to get their permission to send letters to our representatives in the persons name, this would just make it easier and cheaper for them.

While the US postal service is a gov't granted monopoly, and still has special rights and priviledges, it is no longer owned or run by the gov't, and the gov't has to pay postage just like everyone else:

Since its reorganization into an independent organization, the USPS has become self-sufficient and has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s...The Postal Reorganization Act signed by President Richard Nixon on August 12, 1970, replaced the cabinet-level Post Office Department with the independent United States Postal Service. The Act took effect on July 1, 1971.
source

Business reply mail is charged per business reply permit, and per piece which is eventually mailed. Given that only a small subset will respond via mail then it may be a larger waste of taxpayer money to pay for postage. Further business reply mail is still abused quite a bit - attach a brick to the business reply mail, and they'll be charged for delivering the 'package'.

So yeah, it's annoying to some degree, but we Americans are pretty much used to that sort of thing.

It's called Franking. They get to do that. It's one of the reasons congresspeople have such a high win rate. They get to advertise at no cost to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.