Post Something Bizarre About Yourself

I'll start, I have minor arachnodactyly. Which means I have abnormally long and slender fingers combined with a much larger than average palm. I've always been mocked for my "dainty" fingers but fuck you, my hand from bottom of my palms to tip of my middle finger is over 9 inches long. It was a pretty funny in high school when one guy claimed that your dick is as long as your hand and I was like, oh yeah!? Well, in my case, totally not true. His tiny fucking hands maybe. I also have size 15 feet.

What made me think of this was the Video Game News thread where the new PS5 controller was shown off and I was happy. Maybe I'll actually be able to comfortably use a Sony console for once. I had to buy 3rd party extensions to even use my Switch without severe discomfort and they're still too bloody small.

Anyways, what's something bizarre and strange about you?

Man, where to start.

I'm extremely smooth and hairless, even by East Asian standards. I have literally met infants who have more arm hair than me. Right now I'm 38 years old, and I have the straggly facial hair of a teenager.

Oh, also I can bend the last knuckle on my left pinky sideways by a surprising amount. No, it doesn't hurt.
1586421637098.png

Sounds like you need to pick up guitar, make use of those spindly fingers.

As for me, I'm pretty sure I've already shared all my weirdness, I make a point to try not to hide it. Uhh, I have minor echolalia? Mostly with regards to myself, and especially if I'm tired and not thinking about it, I'll sometimes say things twice, but the second time is under my breath.

Sounds like you need to pick up guitar, make use of those spindly fingers.

As for me, I'm pretty sure I've already shared all my weirdness, I make a point to try not to hide it. Uhh, I have minor echolalia? Mostly with regards to myself, and especially if I'm tired and not thinking about it, I'll sometimes say things twice, but the second time is under my breath.
Oh I do that too. Well, I did as a kid, but nowadays (AFAIK) I don't do it as much.

It can be a sign of autism, though as far as I know I'm not on the spectrum.
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if I am.

Oh that reminds me, as a teenager I had dermatographia, which is a condition in which any scratch on my skin, no matter how minor, would swell up into a welt. This meant that I could scratch messages into my skin with my fingernail. The welts would subside after about 30 minutes. I grew out of it as I got older though.

People tend to think I do a lot more drugs than I do. I'm currently doing nothing at all (except for alcohol, which is socially acceptable so doesn't count or something), yet I regularly get questions of people trying to get meth from me. As in "random strangers walking up to me thinking they can get some" and "police stopping me for checks".
I probably have undiagnosed Gilles de la Tourette syndrome - best known by people as hat "you say random curse words" thing. It always manifests as having bodily and oral spasms, and the oral ones often manifest as saying words - but not always. In my case, they show as twitches with my lips and nose, which look like those of a meth user. (I also meet all other symptoms/diagonstic checks for Tourette's)

I have several types of spasms/twitches, and I've never been able to properly account for them or really explain. Some are completely uncontrolled spasms of "suddenly my hand moves" or "this weird muscle in my bicep is moving and I don't even have conscious control over it". Some are more of a semi-controllable-but-not-really type where it feels like something is "wrong" and I have to move to correct it - as in "my left shoulder is 3 inches higher than my right so I have to flex some muscles around there to get them balanced again" - I can delay the reaction to those for a short while but it's like the worst itch you've ever had, can't keep it in too long.

I started going bald when I was 16, and started going grey when I was 18 or 19.

I'm still really struggling with whether or not I'm a good guy. There's people who don't seem to have dark/evil thoughts and just go through life being good. I'm most definitely not one of them. I have plenty of bad thoughts and have a constant fight going on inside to suppress the worst of them, not act on most of them, etc etc, and I can't make up my mind whether this means I'm a better person for being tempted and not giving in, or a worse person for feeling some of these things as a temptation at all.

I'm still really struggling with whether or not I'm a good guy. There's people who don't seem to have dark/evil thoughts and just go through life being good.
Emphasis here on seem to. Everyone has these thoughts it's just some people are better at hiding them. You're aware of all of your dark/evil thoughts which is why you may feel you have more of them.

As to whether you're a "good guy" it's what you say & do that determines that not what you think. There's a reason why Thought Police is a very dystopian trope.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have almost no ability to pick faces out of a crowd. If I go to a restaurant and my party is already there and seated, they are often amused how I have to wend my way up one aisle and down the next even though they were perfectly visible from the door. And forget finding them in a movie theater (if it's at least 50% sold up). I have to get them to make a scene or something for me to pick them out. And the lasik has really not helped with the theater thing if the house lights are down. I might as well just find any open seat at that point.

I'd go with my whole missed all the movies/TV shows thing, but it's become somewhat of a trope at this point.

--Patrick

It's more noticeable when I have a tan, but half of my body it slightly darker than the other. Which is also a common trait among people who are a Chimera. Never have been tested for it, but I could very well be my own twin.

1) I like having English subtitles on everything, even if it's already in English.

2) I picked up a weird habit from an ex where the volume level on the TV, radio, etc, must be set on an even number. Said ex had an OCD thing about it, so it became habitual for me to stay on it for her own comfort. Now it's become a habit in general.

3) I tend to swear in other languages. Like "tabernac" (French), "scheisse" ("shit" in German), and "ay yah!" (no idea what it means but I picked it up from a Chinese girl I dated in Toronto).

3) I tend to swear in other languages. Like "tabernac" (French), "scheisse" ("shit" in German), and "ay yah!" (no idea what it means but I picked it up from a Chinese girl I dated in Toronto).
It means "my mother was a hamster and my father smelt of elderberries".

No, I kid. It's a vocalization that doesn't really have a meaning, sort of equivalent to "Oh!" or "Yikes!"

I'm legally blind.

I think I've talked about this before? But I have horrible eyesight and am required to wear corrective specs when driving. My eyesight went pretty early - got glasses in first grade so I haven't known what it's like to see without contacts/glasses pretty much all my life. I'm very lucky I can still wear lenses and be able to see though, so I feel I can't complain.

My world looks like this:

philip_barlow_painting_emerge_2.jpg

It means "my mother was a hamster and my father smelt of elderberries".

No, I kid. It's a vocalization that doesn't really have a meaning, sort of equivalent to "Oh!" or "Yikes!"
That's what I thought, but I was never sure. I tend to use it for dumb, little things like when I drop something. Like "*sigh* ay yah!"

That's what I thought, but I was never sure. I tend to use it for dumb, little things like when I drop something. Like "*sigh* ay yah!"
You can add "¡Mierda!" (me-YAIR-duh) to that list. Unless you feel like you are only allowed to say "Scheiße!" in German.

--Patrick

Tim Hortons coffee makes me snarky. I know it's terrible coffee, but that's not why. I think it's something to do with additives or them not cleaning after descaling or something.

Anyways if I drink it I get very cranky and snarky.

Conspiracy thought: maybe they're secretly giving you full strength and you're suffering caffeine side effects.

I don't even bother going to Timmy's anymore. McDonald's has way better coffee. Or Starbucks if I feel like something fancy.

It can be a sign of autism, though as far as I know I'm not on the spectrum.
My autistic son had echolalia until he was nearly a teen. Repeating short phrases sometimes, but it mostly manifested itself if he finished a sentence with a word that ended in "s". Like, say, "There's a snake in the grass." He'd repeat the "s" sound like 4 or 5 times--"There's a snake in the grass-s-s-s-s".

I think I've mentioned it before, but I can't see in 3D.
Me either. Strabismus (crossed eyes) runs in my family. I didn't get mine corrected until I was almost 9--so by then, my brain had already given up on trying to use both eyes to calculate distance.

And now for something completely different: My fontantelle on the top of my head never full closed. You know, the baby's 'soft spot'. I have a maybe dime-sized spot in the top of my head that's still squishy.

I am claustrophobic and it's getting worse as I get older. And it's getting harder to control. I haven't freaked out in public yet, but it feels inevitable. I should probably get therapy before that.

Really weird: when I am out in public, I tend to come up with scenarios and how I would deal with it. Like what would I do if a dude came in here with a gun? All in my head.

I died for a lil bit when I was a newborn. I had water in my lungs apparently and flatlined a little when they took it out or something. I've for these scars under my armpits where the tubes went in. Things were so bad that apparently my grandpa snuck a priest in to give me my last rites without my parents knowing so basically I get to cut the line when I go to heaven I guess.

JK, I'll live forever. YOU HEAR THAT GOD?! GONNA TAKE MORE THAN WATER TO TAKE ME OUT! I DRINK THAT SHIT FOR FUN!

I've got some really flexible joints. Like, my elbows bend backwards. Well, my left one still does, my right one got injured in jiu-jitsu a few years ago and got downgraded to normal. When I was younger, I could also do the splits past 180 degrees. Can't anymore, though.

It has its advantages: The aforementioned elbow injury and a different one in my right knee would have been tears instead of sprains on anyone normal.

But it means I'm very susceptible to sprains and dislocations since the ligaments are looser. Fortunately, since I've built up enough muscle mass around the joints to keep them in place, they don't happen often.

Most of the other stuff I can think of is probably stuff I've already mentioned elsewhere:

-Been knocked out only once (that I know of) when I was hit by a car back when my age was still single digits.
-Had a lit cigarette (accidentally!) stuck into my left eye when I was six(?) at an open skate at the local ice arena. Turns out holding your cigarette down at waist level as an adult is juuuust about eye level with a 6yr-old. Took all the fun out of that day, let me tell you.
-Would lie in bed awake as a kid, trying to see how long I could maintain physical contact between my finger and my eyeball without blinking--helps if you wet your finger first.
-Constantly pick up the accent of whomever I'm talking to, completely without realizing it. Takes conscious effort NOT too.
-Probably related to the above, can easily do that thing @bhamv3 mentioned where you speak/repeat out loud whatever it is you are listening to (such as a phone call) including the inflection but then not necessarily remember what was said. Used to do this at college performing as a sort of poor man's speakerphone.
-Still know by heart my first credit card number, bank account number, student number in high school/college, driver's license number, social security number, etc.
-Use a unique password for everything, and remember them all, too!
-Am actually a human being and not a 'bot.

--Patrick