Possible Career Idea?

Earlier this week, my publisher contacted me with a unique opportunity. A 16-year old fan had contacted him, stating they were a big fan. They wondered if someone at Prose Se would be willing to look at their short story.

Tommy (head of Pro Se) told me that he'd had several writers fail to deliver, usually not even getting back to the young writer. So he came to me with it. Well, this was my last stress leave week away from work, so I thought, what the hell? I had time.

Honestly? I really enjoyed the story. The kid has a better grasp of the basics of writing than I did at his age. It was still rough around the edges, so I made a number of suggested edits and sent it back. The strange thing is, I found myself really enjoying not just the story, but the editing process.

During the final edits on The Dame was a Tad Polish, I found this great book: Editor-Proof Your Writing, by Don McNair. His suggestions became invaluable in my editing. When I was done, I truly think my new book was better than ever.

It made me think...could I do that for a living? I certainly enjoy learning new writing techniques to improve my own writing. However, I don't really have much formal education or experience in editing. Plus, I still have much to learn. So now I'm wondering what sort of education I could pursue.

One track I'm considering is Journalism. In fact, Halifax has a college known incredibly well for its Journalism program: King's College. Here's the program's main page. Even better, they have a shorter track option with a one-year bachelor program for students like myself who already have an undergraduate degree.

I don't know. What do you guys think?

I've considered editing and proofreading as a career in my life as well...Along with translating. Can you tell I like writing and words but am not creative enough to be a writer? :p Sadly, doing it as a job as opposed to doing it occasionally are different things - there's more pressure to go fast, there's little time for reflection or enjoyment. Plus, more and more of it's being automated. While no simple spell checker and grammar assistant will ever replace real, proper editing, it's becoming more and more common, especially with better software and in cheaper product ranges. We've long past the time where watch manuals were illegible gibberish translated from Japanese through Portuguese to English with a dictionary.

I understand the appeal, and if it's something you really enjoy, try it - I may well be too pessimistic and have pushed it down just to convince myself not to try - but don't think it'll be "reading for fun and making some notes", most of the time....

I dunno.

Well, the downside to that is that you'd be going through a university that has the MLG as its athletic center, so... ;)

(Gotta get my shots in, it's the off-season...)

What do you guys think?
Like @drifter says, you'd better love it, or you won't last. This is actually good advice for any career.
I enjoy editing, but as I've mentioned before, I'm someone with a "thing" for mejorando a todo. I like optimizing code, trying to figure out what spice would really punch up a dish, or even my attempts at color correcting photos. The hard part is trying to accomplish this without overly polluting the work with your influence.

--Patrick

I don't think having a Journalism degree would be to your detriment, that's for certain.

As for editing as a full-time job--I enjoy doing it. I love words. But it can be a pain for reasons Bubble said. There's a constant pressure to do thinks quickly, but also do everything right. It also is a job, which means you're doing it for a living, constantly, and it can steal away some of the joy you had when doing it outside of work. I read much less than I used to, because I spend 8 hours a day reading. I used to devour multiple books a month, and now it's two at the most, with maybe a short story thrown in here and there. This can happen with any job, but it's something to be aware of.

I work as an editor for translations, so it's not quite the same as what you're describing, but there's a lot of overlap.

It's very repetitive and requires a large amount of focus and concentration. Generally speaking I don't get to choose what I'm editing. Sure, it'd be fun to read a cool sci-fi novel and edit it, but usually I get legal documents ("... the Borrower shall comply with the terms set forth in the Agreement herein, which shall supersede all contracts, MOUs, and other agreements..."), technical documents ("... the fine pitch display must accommodate a module that contains no fewer than 300 LEDs, using a P2.5 design with the LED and driver IC on the same side..."), financial documents (I don't even want to give an example here).

It can get really boring, and when you get bored, your brain reaches semantic satiation easily, and you start missing stuff.

It works for me as a career, because I can deal with it. But it can definitely be a slog at times.

- I'd suggest finding a successful editor in your area and see if you can get some advice there.
- Find out if a degree really is required
- How did that person get started
- What is their process
- What would they do different if they could do it again
- You might have to do some pro bono work to get your foot in the door and to show that you are serious.

Best of luck!

Last edited: