[Handheld] Pokemon X/Y and Alpha Centari with Beta Ray Bill

Not really.

First I go on my OR game, offer up a Zigzagoon while requesting a Larvesta.

Next I go into my X game, search for my trade, and offer up my Larvesta. The Zigzagoon goes into my copy of X.

Finally, I go back into my OR copy, and retrieve Larvesta from the GTS.

Apart from me, no one in their right mind is going to take that trade. And if they do... well, yay, extra Larvesta. The key is to put the crappy poke up first, and request the good poke in exchange.

I bred a few modest Larvestas and threw them up on Wonder Trade. Volcaronas for everyone!

Zappit

Staff member
Not really.

First I go on my OR game, offer up a Zigzagoon while requesting a Larvesta.

Next I go into my X game, search for my trade, and offer up my Larvesta. The Zigzagoon goes into my copy of X.

Finally, I go back into my OR copy, and retrieve Larvesta from the GTS.

Apart from me, no one in their right mind is going to take that trade. And if they do... well, yay, extra Larvesta. The key is to put the crappy poke up first, and request the good poke in exchange.

I bred a few modest Larvestas and threw them up on Wonder Trade. Volcaronas for everyone!
That approach actually is perfectly safe. Hmm, might have to try that to move my items over.

I would up the request to something that requires more work, like Larvesta's evolution. I'd trade a Larvesta for a Zigzagoon holding a master ball.

I would up the request to something that requires more work, like Larvesta's evolution. I'd trade a Larvesta for a Zigzagoon holding a master ball.
Not really necessary though. If someone does snag the trade before me, all I've lost is a Zigzagoon. It did actually happen once or twice, I put up a crap pokemon and requested a Ditto, because I wanted to transfer my Dittos from X, and when I went into my X game I couldn't find the trade. Someone had traded me a Ditto in the 10 seconds it took me to switch games.

Not really necessary though. If someone does snag the trade before me, all I've lost is a Zigzagoon. It did actually happen once or twice, I put up a crap pokemon and requested a Ditto, because I wanted to transfer my Dittos from X, and when I went into my X game I couldn't find the trade. Someone had traded me a Ditto in the 10 seconds it took me to switch games.
He was talking about item trading, not your pokemon trading.

He was talking about item trading, not your pokemon trading.
... now I'm confused.

Anyway, no matter, I can transfer pokes with GTS. I'm happy. I managed to transfer my Master Ball from X into my ORAS game too, so now I have two.

Maybe I'll finally go catch Mewtwo and send him over as well.

I think I've burned myself out on Pokemon for now. I blame myself for playing through Pokemon Y twice in my pre-release excitement for ORAS.

Zappit

Staff member
Honestly, I just don't like Hoenn. Sure, it looks better in the new 3D engine, and Soar is kinda neat, but it just feels so bland compared to Kalos. As goofy as Team Flare was, they were a bit more inspired than Team Aqua/Magma.

Plus, the decision to lock out non-Hoenn Pokemon until the post game just kinda sucked, too. I've gotta clear out the Elite Four in Ruby, and I'm really just after a couple Mega Stones and the move tutors. If they just threw X/Y an update for the new Megas, I'd have been set. My copy of Ruby would have been nothing more than a move tutor venue. I'd greatly prefer to remain in Kalos. I've got about twenty fully trained Pokemon to build competitive teams with, so I'm pretty much set.

The next remakes should be Sinnoh, though. I did enjoy that region.

Hoenn certainly demands more out of the player than any other region in the series. Lots of backtracking, not much direction in what to do or where to go next, a great deal of HM juggling. Also, there are non-Hoenn Pokemon among the others, but I thought there used to be more.

I'm not forcing myself to get to the Elite Four though. Makes more sense to play something else until you're in the mood for Hoenn's stuff.

You know how starting with X/Y, they made all kinds of quality of life improvements to the mechanics? There's one more they need to do... get rid of HM's. They just force everyone playing through the game to use a 4-5 pokemon team, anyway.

At the very least make HMs forgettable normally instead of needing to track down the move deleter.

Oh god, a million times this. It wouldn't be so bad if they were all as useful in battle as Surf, Fly, or Strength, but the fact that I can't ditch them easily means I'll always have a Pokemon I'm keeping around JUST as a mule.

Go Charizard! Go Zapdos! Go Gyrados!

Zigzagoon: hey, hey... Do you think maybe I could battle?

Fuck no, you get your ass back in that pokeball and you stay there until I need you to chop down a bush!

Go Charizard! Go Zapdos! Go Gyrados!

Zigzagoon: hey, hey... Do you think maybe I could battle?

Fuck no, you get your ass back in that pokeball and you stay there until I need you to chop down a bush!
I literally called my Clauncher Zoidberg for this reason.

tumblr_mo9euxv1V01qkdez7o1_500.png

Poor guy. I need to switch him around to take advantage of his Mega Launcher ability now. Water Pulse and Dark Pulse are surprisingly good with the damage boost.

There was a gameplay reason back in RBY for being unable to forget HM moves normally though. Moves such as Surf, Fly, Cut etc are necessary for navigating the game world. This meant that if you could forget HM moves easily, it would be possible (though admittedly very unlikely) that you could get yourself trapped in the game and be unable to continue.

For example, Fly/Surf to Cinnabar Island. Release every Pokemon that knows Fly and Surf, or have them forget them. Release every Pokemon that could ever learn these moves. Enjoy your now-permanent retirement on Cinnabar Island.

Of course, making HM moves unforgettable is a rather clunky way to get around this issue. I'm sure there are better ways, such as allowing HM moves to be forgotten normally, as long as you can access another Pokemon that has those moves (such as in your PC).

Alternatively, upgrade HM moves so that they're all viable in battle. Surf and Waterfall are considered good moves for competitive battling. Buff Cut and Rock Smash to do more damage. Make Fly and Dive one-turn moves. Up the damage of Strength to make it a viable alternative to Return.

Since HMs are acquired at story points, they could just as easily be Key Items. No moves, no mules--just items.
Or, if they want to keep the flavor of pokemon doing things for you in the field, make HM's learnable to pokemon, but not usable in battle, and not taking up a move slot.

There sure are a lot of Protean Froakies on Wonder Trade.

I mean, I'm not complaining, Protean Greninja is awesome. But I only need one, and I've encountered like six so far today.

Also, I managed to chain a shiny Shroomish. Traded it for a Heatran, now I want to see if I can trade it up again.

EDIT: Woo hoo, traded up for an Yveltal! Now let's see if anyone'll give me a Kyogre for this.

Last edited:
I've decided that chaining for shinies is the equivalent of compulsive gambling.

"Yes, it's 2am already, and yes I need to work tomorrow, but I've managed to build my chain to 140 already! I'll just do one more, I'm sure the next one will be shiny... okay, not a shiny. Just one more then, I'll get a shiny on the next one. Okay, still no. All right, just one last one before I go to bed, I just know I'll hit the jackpot on this next one..."

... I just got, off of Wonder Trade, a shiny timid Eevee with 6 perfect IVs.

I want to believe it's legit, but...

What Pokemon traders are actually trading.

"Curiously, Wonder Trade Analytics has found that there are optimal times for Wonder Trading Pokémon—hours during which you're more likely to get something good in return for your Pokémon. Once 3am CST hits, you're more likely to find Pokémon with good stats, moves, and abilities. What happens at 3am CST? According to the data compiled, that's when Japan starts Wonder Trading, and apparently they're better about Wonder Trade etiquette than the rest of the world. Way to go, Japan!"

What Pokemon traders are actually trading.

"Curiously, Wonder Trade Analytics has found that there are optimal times for Wonder Trading Pokémon—hours during which you're more likely to get something good in return for your Pokémon. Once 3am CST hits, you're more likely to find Pokémon with good stats, moves, and abilities. What happens at 3am CST? According to the data compiled, that's when Japan starts Wonder Trading, and apparently they're better about Wonder Trade etiquette than the rest of the world. Way to go, Japan!"
The best time to start wonder trading are when my breeding reject boxes get full.

4 perfect IVs? NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

The best time to start wonder trading are when my breeding reject boxes get full.

4 perfect IVs? NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Man, and here I am running around with pokes with max IVs in only attack and speed, and being perfectly content with them.

Also, I still don't know what to do with the 6IV shiny Eevee I got off wonder trade. This must be what it feels like to find a briefcase full of cash under a bridge.

Man, and here I am running around with pokes with max IVs in only attack and speed, and being perfectly content with them.

Also, I still don't know what to do with the 6IV shiny Eevee I got off wonder trade. This must be what it feels like to find a briefcase full of cash under a bridge.
That was my only complaint about the influx from poketransfer. Suddenly everyone's running around with all perfect iv shiny teams. It's like come on, you're not even trying to hide it.

Fancy.

I finished the main game of Omega Ruby a few weeks ago, haven't gotten around to playing that new mini-story yet. Also the champ's Mega-Evolved Metacross did not fuck around. Steel/Psychic is brutal. Thankfully my brother had a Gabite on his X game that he didn't need, because he turned into quite a beast.

Zappit

Staff member
Haven't played my copy of Omega Ruby in awhile. Really hooked on Monster Hunter now. ( Gotta slay 'em all!)

There's been a bunch of freebies the last couple months, though. The Unova starter final forms with hidden abilities are available until November via codes.

Pokemon479
Pokemon500
Pokemon503

The Johto starter final forms with hidden abilities are available if you've got Pokemon Bank. Those are also available until November, I think.