[Handheld] Pokemon X/Y and Alpha Centari with Beta Ray Bill

So, it doesn't matter what you claim (Jay) we all know we all already have this. Mine is still downloading as we speak. In the meantime:

POKEMON MEGATHREAD!

Post your friend shit... or whatever, I'm not sure how it works yet because Nintendo doesn't make interactivity easy. Set up trades, battles, everything, just get it all in here.

I'm already frozen with indecision over which starter I'll get, even though I always just pick the fire one no matter what.

Halforums trainer list:
Ravenpoe (the very best, like no one ever was): 3265-5056-9628
Quotemander (Zero Esc): 5370-1685-4344
Gusto (once more, with): 2766-9102-1008
Dei: 1203-9316-6767
Far: 1676-4968-0688
Heatherling: 4639-9462-1801
BErt: 3711-7674-3778
bhamv3: 2122-6975-0690

Last edited:
I just got back from a midnight launch with my copy of Pokemon X and I shall now play until my eyes refuse to stay open. :)

Post your friend shit... or whatever, I'm not sure how it works yet because Nintendo doesn't make interactivity easy. Set up trades, battles, everything, just get it all in here.
Normally I'd agree, except Nintendo has made everything easier with this one. I can't believe they've taken this many steps forward in one generation.

The PSS on the touch screen shows:
- Friends you've registered
- Anyone you've interacted with who isn't your friend
- Random people from around the world

Those random people? You can send them a poke, watch a PR video of their trainer, challenge them to a battle, trade with them. From anywhere in the game, you can get into a random battle with other players, find someone to trade with, or do a Wonder Trade, which is tossing out a Pokemon and seeing what you get back, totally randomized. When you're in battle, a newsreel-style message will pass across the touch screen to let you know if someone is trying to contact you or give you a message. You can hook up voice chat, share pictures ...

The interactivity is so beautifully handled, you would think this wasn't a Nintendo game.

I got Pokemon Y since everyone and their mother (and my wife) seems to want Pokemon X. I'll re-post friend code in this thread tomorrow as I'm starting to lose consciousness, but anyone wanting Halforums 3DS friend codes can always check page 1 of the Animal Crossing thread.

I'm picking this up in 3 hours when Walmart opens and playing it with some friends all day, doing the starter swap.

I really should try to sleep more.

I'm picking this up in 3 hours when Walmart opens and playing it with some friends all day, doing the starter swap.

I really should try to sleep more.
We're gonna need to do some Halforums starter swapping.

Is there any special download pokemon that can only be gotten once this time around that would stop people from trading starters and restarting?

Is there any special download pokemon that can only be gotten once this time around that would stop people from trading starters and restarting?
Not as far as I know because that is exactly what I'm planning to do.

Not as far as I know because that is exactly what I'm planning to do.
There's a Torchic distribution going on right now via internet that has it holding a Blazikenite which will allow its Blaziken evolution to mega evolve.

Gamestop is also distributing level 100 Shiny Giratinas, but I think that's just for Pokemon Black/White 1 and 2.

Starter swapping online is for people who don 't have. 3 copies of the game in their house!

And for the record, my friend code is:

3265-5056-9628

If anyone wants to add theirs, I'll put them in the main post.

SUPER TRAINING.

I just used a large Special Attack punching bag with my Butterfree and her Special Attack went up by 12. That's 12 extra outside the max. For EV Training, that's the equivalent of killing 48 Horseas. This is fucking amazing. Anyone can be competitive now. It's come back from who has hours and hours to waste fighting just the right Pokemon in the wild to move choices, because anyone can bring up their extra stats. I can't believe they finally fixed this. It's fantastic.

Starter swapping online is for people who don 't have. 3 copies of the game in their house!
Alternately, you can use multiple SD cards, but then you need to download the game again.

My friend code: 5370-1685-4344
3DS username is Evil Esc and Trainer name is Zero Esc. I have Pokemon Y.

My friend code is 1676-4968-0688. In game name is Ender.

Really enjoying this game so far. Hoards battles are gonna be nice. Love that you get experience from capturing pokemon now. Trading is super simple, no longer forcing you to go to a pokecenter to do so. So many qol improvements.

I have Y.

Last edited:
1203-9316-6767

I think I have most of you from Animal Crossing already, won't be able to double check until later.

I have X.

I think this is the first Pokemon sequel where I don't give a shit about running into new Pokemon. It's just a joyful experience. They've made things so much more convenient.

Reactions: Far
I have no idea how the new training system works. I mean, I've figured out how to play soccer thingy, but I don't know how to specify what stat to train for, or if you even can.

I have no idea how the new training system works. I mean, I've figured out how to play soccer thingy, but I don't know how to specify what stat to train for, or if you even can.
You have to do it a couple times before it gives access to honing any stat. The first one is Defense, the second is Special Attack IIRC and then after that they figure you're a bona fide Pokemon soccer coach and will let you decide which stat to raise. The punching bags are self-explanatory as each one says in the name which stat it boosts.

I found out my Chespin is a Timid nature, which means nice Speed, but his Attack is going to rise slower and end lower, and he's a Pokemon that gains Attack type moves. I considered trading him to one of the crazies on GTS once he evolved, but maybe watching Pokemon Origins yesterday got to me--I'm not going to give up on him. I'm going to boost his Attack in the training and make up for the difference, and we're gonna stick it out. Especially with his pincushion second evolution, which he's just become.

Got a female Squirtle, didn't have to reload either :D.

I'm not well versed in it either but I believe when breeding the female passes on her ability. Not certain what else.

I'm not well versed in it either but I believe when breeding the female passes on her ability. Not certain what else.
I know females also pass on moves, but with all TM's being reusable now I don't know if that's as big a deal as it used to be.

So females are the breed that the pokemon will breed into. They are always the same breed as the mom, unless the "mom" is Ditto.

So females are the breed that the pokemon will breed into. They are always the same breed as the mom, unless the "mom" is Ditto.
And Dittos can be gotten in this game, so the need for a female of any rare pokemon seems less critical.

So my daughter's name actually fits in the name slot for this pokemon, which makes her ridiculously happy. Nintendo is biased against 8 letter names a lot of the time.

And Dittos can be gotten in this game, so the need for a female of any rare pokemon seems less critical.
That depends when Ditto becomes available. In Gen 4, they were incredibly rare--had to be gotten with Poke Radar after you beat the Elite Four. In Black/White, non-existent. I think they were available pretty early in Black/White 2, but I didn't get too far in those games. In general, it's easier knowing you can get more of what you want.

I'm not sure about passing on the Ability. I know if a male holds an Everstone there's a 50% chance of passing on the nature. Or there was. X/Y have changed a lot of the mechanics and since the release was essentially simultaneous around the world, there aren't months of translated documents from Japan to give an instruction guide. Which I'm fine with.

I refuse to get this until my semester is over. I need to get SOME studying done.
This is why my cousin won't be getting it until Christmas. He just started middle school, and I remember keenly how I spent every spare moment on Pokemon after Red/Blue came out.

Fuck, I'm old.

RAVENPOOOOOOOOOEEEEE!
Yeah... don't step into Poe's house, you get burned.

Also, pokemon hordes are officially goddamn bullshit when you come up against 5 pokemon WHO ALL USE SAND ATTACK EVERY GODDAMN TURN. GWWAAAAAAAA

I can't wait until I run into a cave and find hordes of zubats confusing everything.

Yeah... don't step into Poe's house, you get burned.

Also, pokemon hordes are officially goddamn bullshit when you come up against 5 pokemon WHO ALL USE SAND ATTACK EVERY GODDAMN TURN. GWWAAAAAAAA

I can't wait until I run into a cave and find hordes of zubats confusing everything.
At least caves now have dark patches that are akin to the grass in other areas, so not every step will cause an encounter.

I have what is probably a really stupid question. Do new Pokemon games usually include all the previous game's pokemon? For instance, will it be possible for me to tame a wild Oshawott in X or Y?

Black was my first Pokemon game ever.

Zappit

Staff member
I have what is probably a really stupid question. Do new Pokemon games usually include all the previous game's pokemon? For instance, will it be possible for me to tame a wild Oshawott in X or Y?

Somebody wanna get this guy a Charmander?

Oshawott is a starter Pokemon, meaning it will never be found in the wild. This doesn't mean it won't appear at some point in the game. For example, shortly after the first gym in X/Y, you can pick one of the starters from the first gen of games. Something similar may happen later for 5th gen starters like Oshawott, but since the games were released worldwide at the same time, it's kind of a mystery what will happen later on.

A Game Freak spokesperson said that ALL the Pokemon from previous games will be in this one, but it's unknown whether he means all wild Pokemon, or genuinely all including starters and legendaries.

So far most of the Pokemon I've run into have either been gen 1 (Red/Blue) or gen 6 (X/Y), but I have seen the Pan monkeys from gen 5; they're more common here than in Black/White. In any case, I'd recommend still checking it out if you liked Black/White--it just means a lot of different Pokemon you're less familiar with, which can be a good thing, and as I've said earlier in the thread, Nintendo has improved much of the game significantly.

There is something like a friend code safari zone and I'm not certain the specifics but someone on reddit, take that as you will, reported catching a wild ivysaur there.

Zappit

Staff member
That bank thing is going to be useful. I've got a few legitimately hardcore trained fourth gen Pokemon that would still be very relevant in the competitive battling scene, including my prized Jolly Tyranitar. Got most of every gen's starters on transfer over, too.

I have a feeling that the "all the Pokemon" statement refers to having them all animated in the new style, not that they would all somehow appear in game to see or catch.