[Gaming] Poe reviews No Man's Sky

Because I know everyone was waiting for this, and because no one has heard anything about this quiet little sleeper of a game already, right?

I'm going to spoil the story and endings to this game. I'm not going to bother with spoiler tags, because none of the story matters, but if you want to avoid it, stop reading now.

I set out to write a very detailed review, but many many people have already done a much better job than I could. Go watch Angry Joe's video, it's entertaining and he pretty much nails every point I was going to make. So rather than talk about how much the inventory sucks, about how this is just a stock basic survival game, about how combat is pointless and dull and how every planet in this 'endless universe of possibility' is just the exact same shit with different colored bars for you to manage, I instead want to talk about the ending.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

There are two main storyline paths that you can follow in the game. The path of Atlas, and the path of following Nana and Pop-pop. I may have gotten the last two names wrong, but it's what I called them throughout the game.

The path of Atlas takes you away from the center of the galaxy, to mysterious 'atlas interface' stations, where a giant red orb (the mascot of the game) talks to you through space telepathy to get you to do its bidding. It also gives you random orbs that will take up a slot in your very limited inventory, and you will need all of them to complete the path, so I hope you don't go selling one since it never tells you what they're for.

The other path leads you towards the center of the galaxy, with the mysterious aliens called Nada and Polo are urging you to travel to the center of the galaxy, acting through agents that seem disinterested in their mission to provide you with the tech and clues you need on your journey.

Both paths eventually lead you to the center, even though the atlas path is going away, you end up taking shortcuts through black holes to make the trip there.

So what does it all mean?

As you play, you pick up hints and clues (maybe, everything is random, this game is basically a rogue-like bolted onto a survival game with a side of walking simulator thrown in... basically every indie trope that exists thrown in a pot) that the universe may not be what it seems. You find ancient monoliths with cryptic messages, and technology that reacts to you. Sometimes obviously meant for a different species, but sometimes reacting to you directly, as if you've been here before. You also meet Atlas, the God of the universe you live in, because the universe is actually a simulation. Atlas is the creator of the simulation, itself built by minds it knows not, using the sentinels to maintain the order, and hoping that you will help it to keep expanding the infinite simulation.

Nada and Polo, aside from you, seem to be the only ones to know that the universe isn't real. They are seeding you with the knowledge and technology needed to reach the center and escape, or at least that's what they think the center allows. They don't seem to really know.

By following Atlas, visiting the 10 Atlas Interface stations and collecting the 10 Atlas stones (which each take up an entire slot in your ever shrinking inventory) you will be given the option of creating a new star, complete with new worlds around it. You don't get to visit this star, you never get told even where it is, but a future player will start on it, so there's that. You can take some satisfaction that your actions lead to... nothing, really. It's just another random planet like every other random planet, and neither they nor you will ever know they were on it.

But what lays at the center? Is it the release from this simulation? Is it answers to the purpose of all this? Is it exciting and emergent gameplay that will make all of the grinding monotony before it worth it?

Nope. You don't even get to see yourself go there. As soon as you hit warp, the camera pulls out, masturbating itself as it shows you the vast universe that you inhabit and all the stars inside it, and when the galaxy is zoomed out enough to be only a single point of light, the camera turns to a new point of light, and zooms in, telling you a new galaxy is discovered and starting you right back at the screen you got when you first started playing, staring up at an alien world from your crashed ship. Congrats, you have a whole new galaxy to explore now, and it's exactly like the first, even with the exact same static alien npcs and the exact same Atlas and Nada and Polo, they don't even comment that you've done this all before, acting as if its the first time they've met you.

And this is the big secret behind No Man's Sky. Those monoliths with cryptic messages were written by you, in a previous exploration. You end the same way you started, and the same way you'll end, implying you've been on an endless cycle. There's no multiplayer because everyone is playing the same being, the lone mind stuck in this simulation and forever traveling to the center to try and escape, only to start it all over again, and again, and again. Basically, what I'm saying is that this is secretly an existential horror game, and Atlas is the AI after the Singularity.

FUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUU.

Dave

Staff member
At first - exciting and wonderful. Now - "Look! Another crab creature that looks exactly like the ones I saw on the other planet 6 solar systems ago.

*Inventory full*

I'd also like to take this moment to point out that procedural generation is nothing new, and NMS isn't even the first to do it on a large scale. Elite beat it to the punch in using procedural generation to create a galaxy... all the way back in 1984.

Reactions: Jay
I should point out that as much shit as I'm giving it, and it deserves it, I don't hate it. It's OK. As a $20 indie survival game (which it is) it'd be alright, but then Sony acquired it and they marketed it as this grand endeavor instead of the game it is, which is a niche little survival game that pretends to be really big.

I think it'll probably do alright on console, where players don't have literally hundreds of early access survival games coming out every week.

And if the content gets fleshed out some more (and shared between users!) then it will actually become a Thing. I just hope that happens before it dies.

--Patrick

I should point out that as much shit as I'm giving it, and it deserves it, I don't hate it. It's OK. As a $20 indie survival game (which it is) it'd be alright, but then Sony acquired it and they marketed it as this grand endeavor instead of the game it is, which is a niche little survival game that pretends to be really big.

I think it'll probably do alright on console, where players don't have literally hundreds of early access survival games coming out every week.
It's already one of the fastest selling PS4 games of all time. So mission accomplished Sony.

Console gamer here--no. It's getting slammed by PS4 players too.

My personal problem is the sameyness. The most common issue I'm seeing is lack of gameplay, but that wasn't something that bugged me. I just didn't realize the planets were all essentially the same thing.

Why would the algorithm not factor in more diversified geography? Fuck it; it's not worth my frustration.

Dave

Staff member
The PC just got a mod that allows you to fly low & actually run into things. Might have to download that.

So I should sell the PS4 Limited Edition I still have unopened? Then use the profit to buy the standard? I figured I might ignore the two quests and just explore, as I enjoyed wandering through open games like Endless Ocean and even GTA, rather than try to complete the story campaign.

So I should sell the PS4 Limited Edition I still have unopened? Then use the profit to buy the standard? I figured I might ignore the two quests and just explore, as I enjoyed wandering through open games like Endless Ocean and even GTA, rather than try to complete the story campaign.
That's up to you. The story is kinda hot garbage, in that it claims to have one and then has no payoff, but the game itself isn't bad. I think it's definitely overpriced, but I had some enjoyment playing. If you changed this game to 8-bit graphics and made each system a dungeon floor instead, it would play like just about every procedural generation rogue-like with survival and crafting elements.

The 18 quintillion number of planets they keep throwing around is nothing but a marketing gimmick. That's like saying Diablo has millions of levels because it has random levels. The only difference is here you have the small chance of coming across someone else's spawn seed.

One giant gripe I had, this game will make you hate achievements. Normally, you get an achievement, you get a little window popping up to tell you. This game has them integrated into the actual game, where you will lose control of what you're doing every few minutes so the game can play a 10 second music clip telling you you shot your 1000th rock.

Limited Editions are still selling well on eBay; don't know how long that'll be the case.

Something I've noticed in common between Jim Sterling's video above and Angry Joe's review.

Every time Sean Murry was asked if a feature was in the game, or if you could do something in the game, he'd say yes. Like either he was afraid to say no and upset the momentum, or he had no idea what was and wasn't in the game.

Something I've noticed in common between Jim Sterling's video above and Angry Joe's review.

Every time Sean Murry was asked if a feature was in the game, or if you could do something in the game, he'd say yes. Like either he was afraid to say no and upset the momentum, or he had no idea what was and wasn't in the game.
It was a team of 10. He knew what was and wasn't in his game.

I think it's a case of indie dev playing with the big boys for the first time. I'm sure all of those things he said yes to are things that he hoped they could put in the game, but he doesn't have enough experience to know that managing expectations are important, and the hard truth that they don't have infinite development time and funds.

Dave

Staff member
I have a feeling that there were a lot of things in the game that got stripped out to meet deadline, probably because of Sony.

I've fired up Elite Dangerous again and good lord the interface is harsh as fuck.
If you want some help, let me know. The interface actually isn't bad at all once you get the hang of it, though it might be different if you're using keyboard controls (it's pretty much designed to be used without taking your hands off a flight stick)

I know lots of people who do very well with KB/M, though, as well as xbox controllers.

Dave

Staff member
I really don't want to buy a HOTA for one game so I'm sticking to KB/M. The problem is the game explains NOTHING. I did the tutorial the other night for landing in a space station. Took me forever to (a) figure out how to ask for permission to land and (b) land. I was on the landing platform and just hovering there but only landed accidentally when I turned enough to trigger the auto land. You apparently have to be facing a certain way. That would have been good to know.