Export thread

Play by post D&D 5e on Halforums?

MindDetective

MindDetective

If we could get a dice roller add-on for the site (@Dave ?), I'd be willing to DM a play by post game here. I'd want 4 to 6 players who would try to post here at least once daily (just once on the weekends is fine). Any interest?

bhamv3

bhamv3

I have never played D&D or any other similar tabletop game before, but I'd be interested in giving it a shot.

Dave

Dave

Hmmm. I'll see if there is one available.

edit: There is one available but it's freaking $30! There's probably other ways, but nothing native to XF.

phil

phil

That might be fun. Combat might take literally weeks though lol

MindDetective

MindDetective

That might be fun. Combat might take literally weeks though lol
It doesn't go quite that slow, but it is definitely slower than usual.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Hmmm. I'll see if there is one available.

edit: There is one available but it's freaking $30! There's probably other ways, but nothing native to XF.
That it's a bit much. I'll look around but only if there is enough interest.

Vrii

Vrii

I've never played 5e, but I'd be happy to give it a shot.

grub

grub

I'm interested

MindDetective

MindDetective

@grub , @Vrii , @phil , @bhamv3 , and anyone else interested:

Dice rolling can occur in Discord chat, which had three benefit of a phone app, on unseenservant.com, or on dndbeyond.com in their forums (I would start a thread for just rolls there...it is where I run my other pbp games). I favor Discord chat in this case but am open to other preferences.

GasBandit

GasBandit

@grub , @Vrii , @phil , @bhamv3 , and anyone else interested:

Dice rolling can occur in Discord chat, which had three benefit of a phone app, on unseenservant.com, or on dndbeyond.com in their forums (I would start a thread for just rolls there...it is where I run my other pbp games). I favor Discord chat in this case but am open to other preferences.
I can make you a special D&D discord channel on the Halforums discord server if you want. Voice, Text, or both.

Vrii

Vrii

Discord is just fine with me.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm interested.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I went ahead and did it. there's now a D&D voice channel on the halforums discord, and a dnd-text channel to go with it. Have at it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I went ahead and did it. there's now a D&D voice channel on the halforums discord, and a dnd-text channel to go with it. Have at it.
Awesome. Details coming soon for anyone that wants to play.

Wahad

Wahad

Yes I am also a person that wants to play this game.

Dave

Dave

There's also a Discord Die Rolling bot.

https://top.gg/bot/377701707943116800

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's also a Discord Die Rolling bot.

https://top.gg/bot/377701707943116800
And now it's on the server.

Simply type !roll (#)d(Sides) in text chat (IE, !roll 2d6)

MindDetective

MindDetective

OK, first order of business for @Wahad , @HCGLNS , @phil , @grub , @bhamv3 and @Vrii :

My preference is to run a campaign I have already done before, which is either WotC's Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (possibly followed by Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage) or my own homebrewed campaign, The Long Road of the Mage King. Both are well-plotted, although I think the Waterdeep campaign is a bit quirky and my campaign is more like an epic tale. So, vote your preference!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Dragon Heist please.

phil

phil

I guess waterdeep? I haven't played 5e before so a more casual setting might make for a good intro

Thinking gnome bard but not married to it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

No experience necessary for either option! I'll be gentle.

phil

phil

No experience necessary for either option! I'll be gentle.
;)

grub

grub

I'm up for either

bhamv3

bhamv3

I have no experience whatsoever so I'm ok with anything.

Vrii

Vrii

I'm also happy with either option, which I think makes Waterdeep the majority by default?

Wahad

Wahad

I would prefer the homebrew, but also I've never done Heist before so I'm cool.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Dragon Heist it is! FYI, the Dragons in Dragon Heist refer to the slang for the gold coins used in Waterdeep. Don't worry. Actual dragons will make an appearance too! It is only up to level 5, then we can decide to stop, change to a new campaign, or keep going with a new or homebrewed module.

So next up is making characters. Here are some choices for you:

1.) If you are totally new and want an easy experience, I highly recommend www.dndbeyond.com for their character creator. You will have very limited options, however, unless you fork over $$ to buy digital content. But you CAN make some basic characters and the creator walks you through the process wonderfully.

2.) I've never used it but https://www.aidedd.org/dnd-builder/index.php?l=1 looks pretty great. I don't think you can go wrong making your character here. I think I recommend this option just because it does a decent walk-through AND gives you lots of options.

3.) Orc Pub has a pretty good reputation. https://orcpub2.com/pages/dnd/5e/character-builder I've never used this one either, but it looks fully featured with all the options you could want. It does not look AS user friendly for new players but I think anyone here could figure it out.

This will tell you about the abilities as well as their cost as you decide your ability scores. We are going to use Point Buy for making characters. This means you get a budget to buy your character stats. Your budget will be 27 The points you put into Strength, etc. get more expensive as they get higher. Here is a direct link to explaining point buy in the same article.

Usually a party fares best with a balance of classes and abilities (and languages and skills, etc.) but Dragon heist is more of a mystery with some combat thrown about. Social and rogue-ish skills will be useful in this module. All of that said, a party of 6 bards would probably be fine in this campaign (LOL!) I would say, for party harmony, you SHOULD try to agree on generally towards good, evil, or neutral as a party. I say this because you will start out together and at least know each other to some extent already.

When you have your character picked out, upload the PDF here and I will keep them on Google drive for reference. If you need help making your character or want to bounce ideas off the group, feel free! Have fun making your character. It is one of the best parts of the game, IMO. :)

I will be sure to double-check all characters that you didn't forget anything or make a mistake, so go wild.

More useful resources:

Name generators:
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article5.asp?x=dnd/dx20010202b
https://www.kassoon.com/dnd/name-generator/

Backstory generator:
https://www.kassoon.com/dnd/backstory-generator/

Waterdeep map:
https://external-preview.redd.it/cT...bp&s=2d19df8c752041e47d0e4ac161fc2570805d9584

About Waterdeep:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Waterdeep

Okay, that's all I can think of for the moment.

Vrii

Vrii

Just to point out, the different character generators vary quite a bit in terms of the options they offer. Orc Pub seems to be a very basic PHB-only list, and likely depends on the use of the SRD to find things like feats, while aided has a lot more options for subraces that may or may not be at different power levels? I don't know that it'll make a huge difference, but we might want to settle on one option for everyone to use just so we're all working from the same base?

MindDetective

MindDetective

If someone looks very overpowered or underpowered, I'll help correct that before we start. I would rather everyone just be comfortable playing.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Human variant / feats?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Human variant / feats?
You bet it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Exotic languages?

MindDetective

MindDetective

You won't find them too helpful. What did you have in mind?

Wahad

Wahad

Charity is ready! Level 1 Human Paladin.

Once a farmgirl, now a chosen of Chauntea after receiving a vision; she liberated her poor town from the yoke of a rich bozo by re-distributing his fortune; once his mercenary guards were no longer being paid, the townsfolk ran him out and hailed her as a hero - so she started traveling, to aid those in need.

Attachments

phil

phil

ddb.ac/characters/22595670/SWXsfk

Is this ok?

grub

grub

Brad is ready. Level 1 Var Human Bard

Attachments

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Is this ok?
You have no equipment yet, otherwise an excellent start.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Charity is ready! Level 1 Human Paladin.

Once a farmgirl, now a chosen of Chauntea after receiving a vision; she liberated her poor town from the yoke of a rich bozo by re-distributing his fortune; once his mercenary guards were no longer being paid, the townsfolk ran him out and hailed her as a hero - so she started traveling, to aid those in need.

Looks good.
Post automatically merged:

Is this ok?
Solid

phil

phil

You have no equipment yet, otherwise an excellent start.
Made some updates including equipment and spells

ddb.ac/characters/22595670/4yviVb

MindDetective

MindDetective

You can PM me ir put into a spoiler Brad's second identity

phil

phil

I'm playing a fiddle. What are you playing? I can change though so we can go together easy

grub

grub

Lute

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

"I'm not saying that I'm the smartest person in this room, but it is a very small room."

Attachments

MindDetective

MindDetective

Okay, two bards, a wizard, and a paladin. Two more to go. Good possibilities: rogue, monk, cleric, ranger...city druid that loves rats and pigeons?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

How about 2 more bards?

Vrii

Vrii

I've got a rogue in the works, just filling out backstory stuff. Should be posted shortly.

MindDetective

MindDetective

How about 2 more bards?
A whole band, with a wizard for the fireworks and a paladin of Milil, the god of music.

GasBandit

GasBandit

A whole band, with a wizard for the fireworks and a paladin of Milil, the god of music.
Josie and ye olde Pussycats.

Vrii

Vrii

One rogue, ready to go (hopefully)!

Attachments

MindDetective

MindDetective

@GasBandit , we have had a request for the sidekick dicebot on discord. I think this is it. https://github.com/ArtemGr/Sidekick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sidekick now installed.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Upon consideration, I think it'd be better if I sit this one out for now, and watch you guys play to learn the ropes. That way you guys don't have to coach a complete newbie in the game, which would add to the challenges already inherent in playing D&D by post.

phil

phil

Upon consideration, I think it'd be better if I sit this one out for now, and watch you guys play to learn the ropes. That way you guys don't have to coach a complete newbie in the game, which would add to the challenges already inherent in playing D&D by post.
5th edition is so different from what I've played in the past I might as well be a newbie. Since playing online like this will be so much more relaxed there should be plenty of room for guidance.

If you're not feeling it, or don't know if you want to commit, I understand. If you think you'll drag us down, you're wrong.

If you're not 100% sure I bet you could watch a little then get introduced into the story later down the line.

Wahad

Wahad

Speaking as one of the more experienced players in this gang, I'm with Phil. The thing about PBP is we don't have to take time out of our own turns to help you understand stuff. There's time inbetween actions to help with the coaching. The game is slow already; a little bit of help here and there won't mess things up.

PatrThom

PatrThom

5th edition is so different from what I've played in the past I might as well be a newbie.
Same here. The time commitment was already going to be difficult, I didn’t need to add “haven’t played since AD&D2” on top of that.

—Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Play by post can be one the purest forms of role play. It's nature sweeps away the rules and focuses on players expressing their intents and dumping on the DM to figure it out. It's main benefit is that it can retain to boring "I attack it with my sword" and replaces it with written descriptions that don't interrupt the game.

And I'm willing to switch my character to a supermodel sex mad sorcereress if it will keep @bhamv3 around.

MindDetective

MindDetective

HCGLNS is right. This is the easiest way into trying 5e out. If you want something easy to start with, I recommend a fighter with monk as a solid second choice (and my favorite class) or barbarian.

I used a character generator to make one of each and threw in a druid for funsies. You can use them as inspiration or pick one that looks good, if you like.

Attachments

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

If you guys end up being short players, and would welcome me, I'll roll something up.

MindDetective

MindDetective

If you guys end up being short players, and would welcome me, I'll roll something up.
Go for it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

If you're not 100% sure I bet you could watch a little then get introduced into the story later down the line.
If it's ok, I think this option would be preferable for me, thanks. :)

MindDetective

MindDetective

If it's ok, I think this option would be preferable for me, thanks. :)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I want a sheep familiar now...

MindDetective

MindDetective

They look comparable to other familiars, so I'd allow it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Go for it.
You guys look like you could use a cleric.
Marten, the vaguely Nordic Cleric of Lathander

PatrThom

PatrThom

Can it double as a bedroll?

--Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

You guys look like you could use a cleric.
Marten, the vaguely Nordic Cleric of Lathander
You need some spells and you don't have a starting kit or gold.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

You need some spells and you don't have a starting kit or gold.
Ah..missed where those were in the character generator. I'm not sure what you mean by "starting kit" exactly, but I've put some equipment on my character.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Ah..missed where those were in the character generator. I'm not sure what you mean by "starting kit" exactly, but I've put some equipment on my character.
You should start with an adventurer's kit or a dungeoneer's kit, which includes a bedroll, rations, etc. There is a dropdown or checkbox someplace in there where you choose one kit over another.

If you made your character on dndbeyond (I think most did?) then you can join the campaign I created with this link: https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/8594903942642756

I'll be able to edit your character sheets and see backstories, etc. And I'll be able to see changes as you level up without having to export and upload any PDFs.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

You should start with an adventurer's kit or a dungeoneer's kit, which includes a bedroll, rations, etc. There is a dropdown or checkbox someplace in there where you choose one kit over another.

If you made your character on dndbeyond (I think most did?) then you can join the campaign I created with this link: https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/8594903942642756

I'll be able to edit your character sheets and see backstories, etc. And I'll be able to see changes as you level up without having to export and upload any PDFs.
got it..I hadda google it up. It's an "Explorer's pack" (dungeoneer's pack, priest's pack, etc) in 5e. If you add it in the equipment section, it'll add all the individual items to your inventory. I didn't see any other place/way to add it--no drop box or checkbox.

MindDetective

MindDetective

got it..I hadda google it up. It's an "Explorer's pack" (dungeoneer's pack, priest's pack, etc) in 5e. If you add it in the equipment section, it'll add all the individual items to your inventory. I didn't see any other place/way to add it--no drop box or checkbox.
No problem. Looks good now.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Ah. I wonder if you took gold instead of starting gear. Not a huge deal if that's what happened.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Ah. I wonder if you took gold instead of starting gear. Not a huge deal if that's what happened.
That sounds familiar. If you need to me to drop some gold to account for my starting gear, let me know. It rolled up a lot more than I was expecting.

MindDetective

MindDetective

That sounds familiar. If you need to me to drop some gold to account for my starting gear, let me know. It rolled up a lot more than I was expecting.
Yeah, I think we'll have everyone start with 10-25 gold. I'll take a look at everyone else's and see where we are at.

grub

grub

On dndbeyond, I cant add all the things from the phb unless i buy it from the marketplace.

phil

phil

I've been making a few tweaks to my equipment. I'm not sure if my size effects things a lot. Like if I weigh 40 lbs and I'm carrying like 45 that...feels off. But maybe I can fudge it since my equipment would be halfling sized? I'll finalize it tomorrow and join the campaign.

MindDetective

MindDetective

On dndbeyond, I cant add all the things from the phb unless i buy it from the marketplace.
I can help. What are you after?
Post automatically merged:

I've been making a few tweaks to my equipment. I'm not sure if my size effects things a lot. Like if I weigh 40 lbs and I'm carrying like 45 that...feels off. But maybe I can fudge it since my equipment would be halfling sized? I'll finalize it tomorrow and join the campaign.
Your STR affects how much you can carry. Buff little halfling!

phil

phil

Ran Riddleson has joined the campaign!

...he steals something

PatrThom

PatrThom

Your STR affects how much you can carry. Buff little halfling!
Or buff your CHA and get other people to carry your stuff for you.

—Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

Ran Riddleson has joined the campaign!

...he steals something

MindDetective

MindDetective

And we are off! Here is the game thread. Begin with just a little bit about your character and establish any relationships you have (if any) with each other or with the NPCs in the tavern. https://www.halforums.com/threads/halforums-heist.33162/

And @Wahad , you can give your character 15 gp. Or add your character to the campaign, linked above, and I can tweak little things like that as I see fit.

Dive in!

Wahad

Wahad

And we are off! Here is the game thread. Begin with just a little bit about your character and establish any relationships you have (if any) with each other or with the NPCs in the tavern. https://www.halforums.com/threads/halforums-heist.33162/

And @Wahad , you can give your character 15 gp. Or add your character to the campaign, linked above, and I can tweak little things like that as I see fit.

Dive in!
I did that, but now I can't add Sentinel as my chosen feat for being a VarHuman.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I did that, but now I can't add Sentinel as my chosen feat for being a VarHuman.
I'll take a look

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Are bennies part of the game? (Bennie is local slang for a single use reroll for any roll as a reward)

MindDetective

MindDetective

Are bennies part of the game? (Bennie is local slang for a single use reroll for any roll as a reward)
I don't use them much but am not against them.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Sheep
Medium Beast, Unaligned

Armor Class: 10
Hit Points 4 (1d8)
Speed: 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
12 (+1) 10 (0) 11 (0) 2 (-4) 10 (0) 5 (-3)
Senses: passive Perception 10
Languages: –
Challenge: 0 (10 XP)

Special Traits

Sure-Footed: A sheep has advantage on Strength and Dexterity saving throws made against effects that would knock it prone.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm not against buying some digital content from dndbeyond. I used to have a whole horde of AD&D books, back in the day.

@MindDetective , are you using Xanthar's? Can I use stuff in Xanthar's if I get it? Do you have any advice/rulings/suggestions on other digital content in the future? I'm not sure how this stuff works in a shared environment like a dndbeyond campaign.

(I know some DM's have preferences...many in the past didn't like me using psionics, for instance, because it was pretty far outside what they were used to dealing with) and they didn't want to buy additional rule books.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm not against buying some digital content from dndbeyond. I used to have a whole horde of AD&D books, back in the day.

@MindDetective , are you using Xanthar's? Can I use stuff in Xanthar's if I get it? Do you have any advice/rulings/suggestions on other digital content in the future? I'm not sure how this stuff works in a shared environment like a dndbeyond campaign.

(I know some DM's have preferences...many in the past didn't like me using psionics, for instance, because it was pretty far outside what they were used to dealing with) and they didn't want to buy additional rule books.
I'm open to pretty much every expansion book, although I think Eberron's wouldn't fit well for a good chunk of the content. So Xanathar's is just fine by me. If you are just after a single feat or a subclass, I might be able to make a knockoff version using dndbeyond's homebrew tools. I can't share knockoffs with the community but I CAN share them with my campaigns. I did that for a feat already for...Charity I think it was. Unfortunately, I cannot share any content I have purchased, which isn't much anyway, because I am not a paying subscriber to dndbeyond at the moment. Maybe someday, but I don't have enough need for it yet.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Not looking at anything specific right now...but as I level up, I may find some interest in the other source books.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Would you prefer OOC comments and spectator's remarks and such to be made there, here, nowhere at all 'cause buzz of you bunch of twits, in a separate thread,...?
Nothing much had happened yet, of course, but knowing this place were may or may not end up holding a two-page discussion on the merits of rams over ewes in the middle of a diplomatic conservation :p (I'd like to think we wouldn't disturb the game but you never know)

MindDetective

MindDetective

Would you prefer OOC comments and spectator's remarks and such to be made there, here, nowhere at all 'cause buzz of you bunch of twits, in a separate thread,...?
Nothing much had happened yet, of course, but knowing this place were may or may not end up holding a two-page discussion on the merits of rams over ewes in the middle of a diplomatic conservation :p (I'd like to think we wouldn't disturb the game but you never know)
I prefer spectators and lengthy ooc comments here. Players can make short ones in the game thread.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I think the halfling bard just slapped a ruffian in the nutsack.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

@phil relax, you're a halfling, it's almost impossible to roll a natural 1 when attacking. With advantage the odds are 1 in 160,000. Leave the fantastic missing to me :)

MindDetective

MindDetective

@phil relax, you're a halfling, it's almost impossible to roll a natural 1 when attacking. With advantage the odds are 1 in 160,000. Leave the fantastic missing to me :)
Yup. Totally forgot that.

phil

phil

Oh man, I never play halflings. I forgot I can reroll a 1.

Though with how Ran has been rolling maybe that doesn't need to apply to him haha

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Stirges? That's what I get for not taking magic missile.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Just a question about DM styles, but how many persuasion checks can they make against the bird? I'm more or less used to one try, maybe one more as an assist (good cop bad cop style) and then you'll just have to try something else (intimidation, what have you). Can each player make a separate attempt?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Just a question about DM styles, but how many persuasion checks can they make against the bird? I'm more or less used to one try, maybe one more as an assist (good cop bad cop style) and then you'll just have to try something else (intimidation, what have you). Can each player make a separate attempt?
One or two is my limit as well.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

@Tinwhistler you're a successful writer, how would you go about writing our story so far?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

By some arbitrary measure of "successful". ;) As far as most are concerned, I probably wouldn't fit that definition.

I'm mostly comfortable writing with a POV that's tightly coupled to one character. You see what the character sees. You don't see what they don't. You don't know anyone else's feelings, motivations, etc.

I'm not sure that style lends itself to a broader cast of main characters. If I were to do it, I'd probably go 3rd person omniscient. Start of focused on one character, and then add others' viewpoints and thoughts as they come together as a group due to the bar fight. As the book progressed, I'd add the occasional scene from the villain's point of view, but without giving too much away. Though I'm not sure I'd do a great job at it, personally.

Edit: A D&D game plays out a lot differently than a novel. Each player is their own person, with their own individuality and story direction in their mind. And while that's great to add personality and flavor to the character, writing a campaign as a novel would necessitate altering characters and events somewhat so as to fit the story's narrative and the tradtional story structure. A good campaign or big adventure *should* have a good narrative arc--but that doesn't mean that all the players are going to play within that framework all the time.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

While I'm homebound because of the corona, maybe I'll try to write up a little something from the Yawning Portal scene, and see how it goes. Who knows, maybe people will like it. No promises. ;)

Another point of note: There's a genre called LitRPG. It's a fantasy subgenre where the emphasis is on the "game" aspect of RPGs...talking of levels, stat points, etc, is common in this genre. The webcomic ErfWorld (while it existed) was an example of the genre. I liked ErfWorld, but I am not a big fan of the style in general. I've played a lot of D&D in my youth, but when I write, I try to divorce as much game mechanic from the narrative as possible. If I were to write up a chapter for fun, you wouldn't hear anything like "We should take a long rest to recoup our spells and hitpoints." :p

It's just not my style.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, I started taking some notes about the first scenes of what I see as the first minor story arc in the adventure, as well as some notes about where to flesh out, as well as some problems I have to ponder before I can get started.
  1. Describe the Yawning Portal
  2. The characters are all at the bar. Why?
  3. A fight breaks out. Characters get involved and choose sides. Ascribe motivations.
  4. Troll rises. Characters come together to save everyone. Make super dangerous. Characters are little more than suped up townspeople at this point.
  5. Have some conversation with Yagra? Maybe put some info about the gang war going on in town.
  6. Volo introduces himself, and characters take on the job to find his friend. Ascribe motivations to flesh out character personalities.
  7. Street thugs arrest. Make more important? Flesh out? Link to gang war? Is this even important?
  8. Old Xoblob's shop? Cut? Make more important? Flesh out?
  9. Skewered Dragon. Flesh out. This is where we get our first big clue. It should have a lot more going on because of it.
  10. Zhent hideout. Flesh out. Esp interaction with Kenku, Ranear and the guards.
  11. Sewers. Flesh out descriptions a bit..add some suspense as we're looking for the hideout, so that running into the gazer is more of a jump scare.
  12. Actual hideout: We kinda breezed through this. Major flesh out.
  13. Conclusion: flesh out and make a big deal of Floon's return. In the game, he's just kinda 'turned in' like a World of Warcraft quest reward ;)

Problems:
  • I don't know what's going to be actually important later, so it's hard to throw in foreshadowing or where to focus on detail because it might become important later in the story. I risk focusing on something like say Xoblob, and it turning out to be nothing.
  • I don't have all the information. Why is there a gang war in town? Who/what is a Xanathar? How do I tie that into the story?
  • I have to draw on ooc knowledge to flesh out scenes. Why don't the Kenku talk, that kind of thing. This isn't that big of a deal, but it requires more research. The greater danger is if I research things like the Yawning Portal or Volo and risk running into spoilers for the adventure.
  • We're kinda tearing through the fights right now. As a player, I don't mind. As a writer, I want to make these more dangerous. Turn-based combat doesn't translate to writing very well, so I'll want to analyze each fight so I can capture the flavor of what the characters do without turning into LitRPG, or a very boring "she did this, then he did that, then he did that, and then the monster fell" kind of narrative, which is pretty dull.
The problems are pretty big for writing up the entire first arc. So if I write anything at all, it'll probably just be the first bar scene, since it's mostly action and doesn't rely on too much cohesiveness with the story as a whole other than as a vehicle to get things started.

phil

phil

Don't suppose anyone would be interested in getting the band back together, eh? Got the itch again.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Maybe...

figmentPez

figmentPez

MindDetective

MindDetective

I could homebrew/improv something goofy...

Bubble181

Bubble181

If you're starting over and need a player I could be persuaded. 5e is a ridiculously long time ago though.

MindDetective

MindDetective

If you're starting over and need a player I could be persuaded. 5e is a ridiculously long time ago though.
5e is easy to pick up, thankfully.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm listening.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Okay...my initial thought is a short campaign that utterly shatters the 4th wall. The characters know from the beginning that they are characters in a game (this will give them some unique abilities) and are setting out to free themselves from the control of their players. For extra silliness, races would include Muppetborn, Toonkind, Toys, a variety of sentient animals, and maybe Clowns, some Pokemon, and perhaps some odd D&D races, like flumphs and mimics. I'd be making this up as I go, so expect lots of unpredictability, pop culture references, and assorted nonsense.

Too silly or let's do it?

phil

phil

Silly is nice!

Maybe a muppetborn who, due to his nature is always compelled to turn everything into a teaching moment.

"How many goblins are there? Let's count! Ooooooooone goblin! Twoooooooooo goblins! Threeeeeeeee goblins!"

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Return to Fraggle Rock!

jwhouk

jwhouk

The DM: "As the large swamp beasts attack, you have a sudden urge to pull out a banjo and sing 'Rainbow Connection' as loud as you can."

KERMIT: "Dammit, I knew playing a Muppetborn would have its drawbacks..."

phil

phil

Basically Drizzt but if Drizzt was a claymation Santa's elf.

"I shall venture out into the world and bring back dentistry to the underdark"

MindDetective

MindDetective

Okay, so who is in on this wacky adventure? I will set something up on dndbeyond.com, including all homebrew races. I'l for sure whip of the muppetborn. Does anyone want something else or will it be all muppets?

phil

phil

If everyone else wants muppetborn I'll be down. I'm still knocking a few ideas around in my head.

Maybe a kobold monk who trains at Kobold Kai and is a classic 80s bully?

Dirona

Dirona

I wonder if I could create She-ra...

MindDetective

MindDetective

Here are some homebrew races to consider. Roll up a character (let's roll 4d6, drop the lowest, reroll 1s) and if we reach a critical mass (4 players, at least) then I will create a campaign on dndbeyond.

Here is a number of homebrew: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Alphabetical_5e_Races

Notably for our wacky campaign concept:

Clowns

House-elf

Jynx

Kerbal

Khajit

Mimic

Pac-man

Porcelain doll

Scarecrow

Snorlax

Terminator

And a few others (including an attached PDF):

f7tt7lr8i0331.jpgMuppetborn-V02-796x1024-1.png

Attachments

Dirona

Dirona

She-Ra is totally a ridiculous Toonkind Eldritch Knight! I'll roll up a sheet in the next couple of days

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

A moogle sorcerer...?

phil

phil

Oh man I'm so torn. Pirate flomph? Paladin tonkin who talks in word bubbles? Or in a world of wacky whatever's I'm just a plain normal human?

phil

phil

The correct answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

20210208_160451.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

NO KILL I
I KILL YOU

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

20210215_221250.jpg

<<moogle sorcerer casts Ray of Frost>>