Pet Peeve rants.

fade

Staff member
And four significant figures!

--Patrick
You know, everyone gives the US crap about mathematical conventions, but I think we're right on the comma-period choice for numbers. A period is a hard stop, and a comma is a soft stop. There's a conceptual difference between whole numbers and partial numbers, so that deserves the hard stop. The only purpose for separating whole number digits is readability, so it's a soft stop.

I don't like it when I have to grocery shop on Wednesday. Just wave after wave of ugly ugly people in the store on Wednesday.

I don't like it when I have to grocery ship on Wednesday. Just wave after wave of ugly ugly people in the store on Wednesday.
Just did that myself, and my problem was with all the rolling roadblocks in the aisles. If it wasn't someone plodding along, it was two people blocking progress with their carts touching and being all, "Gladys? Is that you? I haven't seen you since Thursday! How's it going! Tell me everything that happened at the funeral, and don't leave anything out blah blah blah blah..."

--Patrick

You know, everyone gives the US crap about mathematical conventions, but I think we're right on the comma-period choice for numbers. A period is a hard stop, and a comma is a soft stop. There's a conceptual difference between whole numbers and partial numbers, so that deserves the hard stop. The only purpose for separating whole number digits is readability, so it's a soft stop.
I don't even disagree.

We went to Costco today and we just barely made it out alive.
Our last local Costco was in a military town. There wasn't a single time when they were open that they weren't completely packed. One time someone decided to sample Cajun Blackened Salmon patties in the frozen section. A store packed full of people, almost shoulder to shoulder, all gagging and making horrible faces at each other, trying to flee the area - while hilarious to reflect on - was rough.

figmentPez

Staff member
When reviews compare the cheapest model to the most expensive. Yeah, I get it, a $360 rice cooker makes better rice than a $40. I'm really not surprised. Now tell me what mid range models do. Is there a $90 model that does white rice almost as well as the $360 model, but doesn't have 15 other settings? Such reviews only have value to people who have more money than sense and just want to convince themselves to buy something nice.

I'm loving my super cheap $25ish Walmart rice cooker :)

Steaming rice is steaming rice, isn't it?

I know a lot of people who got Instant Pots for Christmas though. I'm curious to find out what else they do.

figmentPez

Staff member
Steaming rice is steaming rice, isn't it?
I guess it depends on just how perfectly done you want your rice to be.

Not that I'm in the market for a rice cooker, I don't eat a lot of rice, but the issue comes up in all sorts of comparisons. "We tested a $10 knife and a $500 knife"... Wow, I'm shocked the $500 knife is made of better steel and holds and edge longer, but aside from being entertaining the review is useless because I'm not going to buy either of the extremes.

I guess it depends on just how perfectly done you want your rice to be.

Not that I'm in the market for a rice cooker, I don't eat a lot of rice, but the issue comes up in all sorts of comparisons. "We tested a $10 knife and a $500 knife"... Wow, I'm shocked the $500 knife is made of better steel and holds and edge longer, but aside from being entertaining the review is useless because I'm not going to buy either of the extremes.
America's Test Kitchen does this. And they normally pick the $40 knife.

ATK is usually about value rather than absolute quality, unless there's some significant gain in going with the more expensive one (which brings us back to value again).

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
AAAAARGH. So I'm walking to the bakery to get bread for a party tonight, and I hear this crazy honking behind me. As the culprit car speeds away, I see a hand waving at me, going 50 mph. What do they expect? Do you believe I'll recognize you?

I'm trying to enjoy a peaceful goddamn morning. Acquaintances who honk at me when they see me drive me NUTS. I won't be able to acknowledge you. CUT IT OUT! It's just alarming! I've done shout outs asking people to stop and it never stops. I hate it soooooo much.

Granted, sometimes it's an asshole screaming obscenities, but I expect more from people who actually like me.

Similar vein, I hate when strangers on the sidewalk try to get my attention. I'm just trying to get to the bus stop, I don't have money to give you, I don't want to buy your weed, I probably don't know the way to where you want directions, if I had the money to drive a car I wouldn't be here for you to try to talk to anyway, please leave me alone.

Similar vein, I hate when strangers on the sidewalk try to get my attention. I'm just trying to get to the bus stop, I don't have money to give you, I don't want to buy your weed, I probably don't know the way to where you want directions, if I had the money to drive a car I wouldn't be here for you to try to talk to anyway, please leave me alone.
I notice you’re not wearing any...galoshes.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
So hey, this thread hasn't been bumped in a while... here's mine...

Over the last few months, in discord, I've noticed certain people using "copy" or "copy that" to indicate understanding - people I know for a fact have never had the real life need to use that kind of radio terminology. I know it's unreasonable for me to be upset about a little RP over a communication channel, but it just grates on me like nails on a blackboard. It reminds me of the MWO group I belonged to for a little while that was hardcore milsim. Made me roll my eyes, as I have lived my whole life with parents and other relatives who were active duty and never once have they ever used that terminology in normal speech with me. Just say "Got it" or "Ok" or "I understand" or whatever! Discord is not a garbled radio (usually), you don't have to use terminology that was made to work around the shortcomings of limited broadcast voice fidelity! It is SOOOO chuuni!

Like I said, I know it's dumb of me to get annoyed by 20 year old NEETS playing soldiers, but that's why it's in the pet peeves thread, and not one of the "legitimate" rant threads.

You know all those legal shows where the lawyers walk around and talk to the witnesses and jury all casual? That bugs me. In reality you step into the well without the prior consent of the judge, the bailiff puts a bullet in you.

Like I said, I know it's dumb of me to get annoyed by 20 year old NEETS playing soldiers, but that's why it's in the pet peeves thread, and not one of the "legitimate" rant threads.
I'll be fine until they start rediscovering CB lingo in SMS/IM.

--Patrick