Pet Peeve rants.

The scene: driving home from work on the bypass. Two lane highway (2 lanes, each direction). Full ass heavy traffic, and slow going.

I'm in the left lane. Traffic is stop and go, and left is going slightly faster than the right due to onramp traffic. Asshole behind me is RIGHT UP ON MY FUCKING ASS, visibly angry at me. Where the fuck do you want me to go? He finally finds a gap in the right lane as traffic picks up on that side, speeds past, flips me off, and cuts me off back into the left. He then gets right on the ass of the new car in front of him. This continues for a bit, until traffic starts to finally speed up, and I see him ahead weaving in and out to 'get ahead'.

Finally after 30 minutes of normal driving, bypass ends. Asshole is no longer on my mind. Light cycles at this point. Guess who I caught up to and get directly behind at the second light?

After all that stress and wreckless driving you got nowhere faster. Good job. WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT WHEN CARS DRIVING NORMALLY WITH THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC EVENTUALLY CATCH UP TO YOU?! STUPID FUCK!

He literally saved no time, and is probably too stupid to realize this, but will continue to be a complete jackass and danger on the road.

Type A people. Whaddya gonna do?
Kati used to patient sit at the hospital. In the cardiac ward.
She still has stories...stories of people who were convinced that THE WORLD WILL STOP WORKING IF I AM STUCK HERE UNABLE TO MAINTAIN IT. I imagine these people to be ones who would drive the way you describe.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, with all due respect, maybe not the whole world, but definitely 4 or 5 radio stations would soon stop working if I was HNRRGHK

GasBandit

Staff member
Did you ever get anyone to actually start training to let you take time off?
Yes, as of two days ago, training has started. I'm teaching the new accountant lady. Fortunately she seems to be picking it up rather fast, so I'm starting to ever so slightly get hopeful that I'll be able to take a week off in April.

I signed on at the new job in October, knowing nothing about the system. By the end of November, I was THE guy.

I bet you could have me working at an acceptable level within 2 weeks. By two months who knows.

GasBandit

Staff member
I signed on at the new job in October, knowing nothing about the system. By the end of November, I was THE guy.

I bet you could have me working at an acceptable level within 2 weeks. By two months who knows.
Yeah, you're sharper than the last couple guys I tried to train how to do it, and the second guy of the two didn't even want to do it, to boot. You'd probably get the basics down in under a week, but it'd still take a month or two to get you up to speed on the innumerable "special cases" we have where something special has to be done - mostly because those special cases have to be taken care of in real time, so they come up when they come up.

I don't think she has even been there long enough for that though. Unless this is someone else.
Yeah, that's true - she hasn't been here 5 months, closer to 3.

And that means she was pregnant when they hired her.

They never learn.

Every time, I tell them, no young women. I train em, then they get pregnant, and when they're in the hospital holding that little bundle of joy in their arms suddenly they always experience a mammoth shift in priorities and decide to be stay at home moms instead of coming in here to get stressed and overworked and underpaid. Crazy, I know.

What?! You mean they can't discriminate based on age and gender?! Shocking!

But in all seriousness, I'm pretty sure your job is just cursed.

GasBandit

Staff member
What?! You mean they can't discriminate based on age and gender?! Shocking!

But in all seriousness, I'm pretty sure your job is just cursed.
The one, single person we had that lasted more than a year was a lady in her 50s. Granted, she had other issues.

Tumeric - Related to ginger and rich in curicumin, being investigated for potential anti-inflammatory and/or antimicrobial properties
Ginger - Relaxes smooth muscle, helping calm abdominal spasms
Cinnamon (Ceylon, not Cassia) - Helps regulate blood sugar
Tea - Contains caffeine and flavonoids

Nothing in there about pain relief.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
People who, in a professional capacity (in my case, naturally, this means in a commercial), pronounce the word "forward" as "foe-ward."

Look, I could even understand the common short slur, like most people say "ford" when they mean forward, and I can understand that. But if you're gonna pronounce both syllables, in a commercial that is going to go out over the air, "foe-ward" makes you sound like a squidbilly trying to use words you don't understand. There is an R in forward!

And now I've said the word "forward" over and over so much in my head and out loud while typing this that the word has now lost all meaning.

Ok, it's a two-fer! Saw this on imgur.

1) That's a chemistry lab.
2) There's no soldering left to do on that motherboard, it's done.
3) She'd be soldering the wrong side of it anyway
4) She's gripping the hot part of the soldering iron.

Sigh, well, at least she's using eye protection. I'm surprised it's not a scuba mask.

Reactions: Dei
I put together pronunciation for our radio ads simply because of the issues you've raised. I also have to spell out w-w-w dot name of company dot com.

fade

Staff member
People who, in a professional capacity (in my case, naturally, this means in a commercial), pronounce the word "forward" as "foe-ward."

Look, I could even understand the common short slur, like most people say "ford" when they mean forward, and I can understand that. But if you're gonna pronounce both syllables, in a commercial that is going to go out over the air, "foe-ward" makes you sound like a squidbilly trying to use words you don't understand. There is an R in forward!

And now I've said the word "forward" over and over so much in my head and out loud while typing this that the word has now lost all meaning.

Ok, it's a two-fer! Saw this on imgur.

1) That's a chemistry lab.
2) There's no soldering left to do on that motherboard, it's done.
3) She'd be soldering the wrong side of it anyway
4) She's gripping the hot part of the soldering iron.

Sigh, well, at least she's using eye protection. I'm surprised it's not a scuba mask.
2-3 I could forgive. Could be a repair (2) and it could be SMD components and not thru-hole. But yeah, definitely number 4. That looks painful.

GasBandit

Staff member
That would fill me with rage
She was dumb as a box of rocks, but she had enormous fake boobs, and you could tell she was drop-dead gorgeous when she was younger... but decades of hard living and partying as a trophy wife and substance addict turned her into a leather bag in a blonde 80s wig, and when your looks were all you had and they're in the process of rapidly abandoning you, it has a psychological effect. She couldn't take criticism at all, pointing out anything she did wrong (and like I said, she was dumb, so she did a LOT of stuff wrong) would send her spiraling into a breakdown. I feel bad for her, but the boss did the right thing when they let her go. I was glad to hear another radio station picked her up as a sales exec - there, she can be incompetent in an environment that was built to withstand it.

I thought about that too, but it's a pretty tight shot and in portrait, it's plausible enough the spool/bulb could be just off the edge of the camera's field of view.
If the tip of the gun is touching the motherboard, either the solder or bulb should be right there with it. Otherwise, why is she touching the gun to the motherboard?

fade

Staff member
I guess if it was SMD--which makes sense looking at the board--she could be using solder paste or some variant thereof.

Though you'd be hard pressed to make those connections with that enormous tip.