[Comics] Penny Arcade's Strip Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who haven't seen it, here's the Strip Search panel from PAX East:

Zappit

Staff member
Congratulations, you win NOTHING for taking the Chandra challenge! The real lesson - Don't do spec work!

Yup there are like 3 people woh have either made no impression on me whatsoever or have made negative impressions.

I'm currently cheering for Tavis, Nick and Erika.

Yup there are like 3 people woh have either made no impression on me whatsoever or have made negative impressions.

I'm currently cheering for Tavis, Nick and Erika.
Almost exactly the same for me, but I dig Maki more than Tavis. Really, the only one of them I don't care for is Amy.

Mac and Monika have made almost no impression on me, and yeah, Amy (and Lexxy) kinda got on my nerves.

The only thing I don't like about Amy, is how much she appears to be "playing the game." She comes across as manipulative and plotting, while everyone else seems to just go with it and try to win each competition.

She seems to be the only one "playing" the other people.

Yeah Amy is treating this way too much like a reality show and making what I feel to make some dangerous moves, namely "aiming for the middle"

She strikes me as someone that likes to approach things in a cautious, analytical way, so her gaming of the system doesn't surprise me. There is a nice prize involved, after all.

She strikes me as someone that likes to approach things in a cautious, analytical way, so her gaming of the system doesn't surprise me. There is a nice prize involved, after all.
I'm not saying it's wrong that she's playing the way she is, it's just when you look at everyone in the interviews, and then you see her and she's always talking about every "move" she's making and how she "performed exactly where she wanted to" in each competition, it makes you kind of feel like she's a villain in this game. In no way am I saying she's a bad person, nor am I saying she shouldn't be trying her hardest to win this awesome prize. It's just how it comes across on the show.

That said, I've been in a place of "I wish they could all win" for a while now. But they can't. And that makes me sad.

So, that new episode...wow.

I'm really surprised they eliminated both, but both comics in the elimination challenge were absolutely terrible, the worst 2 of the elimination challenge so far. Completely did not expect that bit at the end. So now they've eliminated 4 of the 6 guys and none of the girls?

Other than the last competition, where both Lexxy and Tavis made decent strips, I think they should do that more often. They've been all so shitty so far and I just watched end and daaaaaaamn, shit got realed.

I know that ultimately PA will hire who it wants to hire and all that, but if they really wanted to hire Lexxy, they could have waited until after the competition and everyone was given their fair shake. I'm not sure if it was clear to the contestants at the outset that Mike and Jerry could just just to break their own rules every once in a while.
That said it makes for compelling TV. :D

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOO... Nick was one of my favorites, at least in personality. I agree his comic wasn't that good, but I didn't think it would be enough to get him double eliminated with Mac.

Mac is so incredibly nice and calm that I think he might be a serial killer.

Also... OH DAMN LEXXY'S BACK!

OHHHHH...I get Mac's comic now.

Pig (hot dog) makes man fart, man makes pig fart. It's the circle of flatulence.

I'm glad Mac got focus in this episode. He's really funny.

Yeah Mac opened up enough during that challenge that I finally didn't want to see him eliminated. Nor Nick. But then the bad thing happened.

So, if you watch episode 1, at just after 2 minutes, you can actually see a brief clip of Lexxy's return to the house.

Lexxy was on the intern PA contest thing, wasn't she? And then she got eliminated off this show, to be brought back? Third time's a charm I guess... I just feel like all the chances they are giving her, they should just give her a fucking job and let the other artists hash it out. Not that I dislike Lexxy, I think her art is phenomenal. It's just kind of bugging me that they won't just hire the girl instead of bringing her back again.. and again.

Lexxy was on the intern PA contest thing, wasn't she? And then she got eliminated off this show, to be brought back? Third time's a charm I guess... I just feel like all the chances they are giving her, they should just give her a fucking job and let the other artists hash it out. Not that I dislike Lexxy, I think her art is phenomenal. It's just kind of bugging me that they won't just hire the girl instead of bringing her back again.. and again.
It seems like that's exactly what they want to do, which is what my comment was about. They should just GIVE her a job, and continue the SS contest without her so that someone else still has their fair chance.

It seems like that's exactly what they want to do, which is what my comment was about. They should just GIVE her a job, and continue the SS contest without her so that someone else still has their fair chance.
I kinda hope she gets eliminated again so they are forced to do just that. Nothing against Lexxi herself as she has been able to keep herself on the PA radar so strongly and is talented. I actually hope Abby kinda wins now since they seemed to build up such a hatred of her ONE drawing and demonized her yet she hasn't been sent to elimantion yet and has not been elimanted off of TWO of their competitons like Lexxi.

I kinda hope she gets eliminated again so they are forced to do just that. Nothing against Lexxi herself as she has been able to keep herself on the PA radar so strongly and is talented. I actually hope Abby kinda wins now since they seemed to build up such a hatred of her ONE drawing and demonized her yet she hasn't been sent to elimantion yet and has not been elimanted off of TWO of their competitons like Lexxi.
I honestly think Mike just bitches about those tangents because he's trying to be the "Simon Cowell" of the show. He's stated that in the elimination room he tries to be an ass, and it's the talks in the car after where they can drop the act and be real.

Yeah I agree but;
That makes sense when they question the artists on their own failings, Abby has not met them at this point he is just bad mouthing her behind her back. He did state to Mac that him were and Jerry were inspired by Mac's self portrait for the show and were disspointed that the 90 minutes drawing didnt live up to it or something along those lines IIRC. So it doesn't suprise me that he has demonized Abby's art in his mind at this point in the show. I would just like to see his preconceptions turned on their head by having their favourite re-eliminated and their apparant least favourite win.

I still highly respect the PA guys even at this point. The double elimination and ressurection is standard reality TV faire, it is just cheapened by the fact they have a personal connection with Lexxy from the New Hire competion. I honestly don't think Mike and Jerry would have been broken up as much about having to chose bewteen two good artists if they did not have the familiarity with Lexxy. Though I do have to give them props that they still eliminated her given that fact.

The think that kinda irks me about the FAQ's Khoo answered, is that from what he's saying there only seems to be 3 or 4 artists that realistically have a shot of winning. Since their intention was for the best to win regardless, things like Amy's tactics and scheming won't help her ultimately. Of course, that's only if we can take his answers as 100% truth.

So...
Amy was not happy to see Lexxy come back. At least it looks like Amy's dropping the bullshit now.

So...
Amy was not happy to see Lexxy come back. At least it looks like Amy's dropping the bullshit now.
I like Amy more now that she's opening up. She has been on guard all series, which is offputting.

Though, we've been watching for awhile now, and it's been under a week for them.

I kind of like the view that because Amy was first to have to toss people into the elimination challenge she was not prepared for it. She saw herself as the bad guy and thought others would see her that way too so she went into the metagaming mode as a defense mechanism. You can tell its not her normal self as the toll it took on her was huge. I was not a huge fan of her either but now that I know why she was acting that way I do like her more. I want to see what she's like now. Hopefully she does drop it for good.

She may have applied for the sake of competition and the experience. The prize is not the only reward in such a competition.

EDIT:

I am gonna call it now, the final challenge bewteen the two finalists will have all or just the outcasts draw from the waste basket of broken ideas(or whatever it is called) so that the amount of topics to fit into one strip will be harder!

Status
Not open for further replies.