Parents suing their kids for parental support

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

That is kinda mess up. So in this case, the mother and father abandon this kid and he fend for himself, finally made a decent living, married, has his own kids and now his estrange mother wants to sue him for payment? What about all the time when he needed her and they left him alone at 15!?!??!!?

There got to be a case where he can have the option not to pay since his parents didn't really "invest" in this kid.

I think it should be case by case, my parents DID spend a ton of money on me and my education, when they can't pay for it, I got a loan and finish paying it myself, but they did provide me during hard time and such, so I personally would support my parents when they need me, but this kid shouldn't have to or at least get reduce amount in terms of years of at (0-15) and that is it.

I know it sounds cruel, but to me, it would be like a child put up for adoption later won the lottery (say 50 millions) and parents discover it and want a cut being their parents.... sorry chief, that is a no go in my book.

I think it should absolutely not be a legal requirement for kids to pay for to take care of their parents, no matter how much they spent on raising them. Yes, it's great if the kids do take in their retired parents to care for them, but everyone should be personally responsible for saving enough money for their own retirement.

I think it should absolutely not be a legal requirement for kids to pay for to take care of their parents, no matter how much they spent on raising them. Yes, it's great if the kids do take in their retired parents to care for them, but everyone should be personally responsible for saving enough money for their own retirement.
... especially when said parents ditch you at age 15 and hardly talk to you in the three decades since. That's what really pissed me off about the article. I can see how you would want to encourage deadbeat kids to help parents out, when those parents actually raised them. What infuriates me is deadbeat parents suddenly appearing after decades of neglect to sue their kids for money.

P

Philosopher B.

Let me tell you something. I owe you nothing! If you carried that bag a million miles, you did what you're supposed to do! Because you brought me into this world. And from that day you owed me everything you could ever do for me like I will owe my son if I ever have another. But you don't own me! You can't tell me when or where I'm out of line, or try to get me to live my life according to your rules. You don't even know what I am, Dad, you don't know who I am. You don't know how I feel, what I think. And if I tried to explain it the rest of your life you will never understand.
'Course, that quote doesn't quite apply here, seeing as they didn't even supply him with basic support.

Childrens- now a financial investment. Talk to your investment broker today to find out more.
What do you mean "now?" You haven't heard of welfare babies? Some women, especially down here, squeeze out about 4-8 or so, from various and sundry baby-daddies, and then milk all of 'em for child support and welfare money. BAM! Never have to work again! *facepalm*

Childrens- now a financial investment. Talk to your investment broker today to find out more.
What do you mean "now?" You haven't heard of welfare babies? Some women, especially down here, squeeze out about 4-8 or so, from various and sundry baby-daddies, and then milk all of 'em for child support and welfare money. BAM! Never have to work again! *facepalm*[/QUOTE]
While it still happens here in Wisconsin, it certainly isn't as prevalent as it is in Georgia.

Soon adults will have to sign contracts that they won't sue their kids for interest or back payments.

"I'm buying you food, but this is just a loan until you are old enough to work"
"Dad, I'm 7"

I found this to be a horrible abuse of the filial statute...

"Meanwhile, in the U.S., where some on the political right argue for wider enforcement of these laws to ease the growing strain on the public purse, third parties have begun using them to force adult children to pay their parents' bills. Last year, Don Grant, an unemployed Pennsylvania dad wrestling with a mortgage and his daughter's college tuition, was successfully sued by a hospital using the state's filial statute when his 72-year-old mom skipped her bill. Grant, raised by his grandparents and estranged from his mom, didn't even know she was in hospital."

Would a parent be on the hook for say their 30 year old child bailing on a hospital bill? Something doesn't seem right...

P

Papillon

I found this to be a horrible abuse of the filial statute...

"Meanwhile, in the U.S., where some on the political right argue for wider enforcement of these laws to ease the growing strain on the public purse, third parties have begun using them to force adult children to pay their parents' bills. Last year, Don Grant, an unemployed Pennsylvania dad wrestling with a mortgage and his daughter's college tuition, was successfully sued by a hospital using the state's filial statute when his 72-year-old mom skipped her bill. Grant, raised by his grandparents and estranged from his mom, didn't even know she was in hospital."

Would a parent be on the hook for say their 30 year old child bailing on a hospital bill? Something doesn't seem right...
For that matter, it seems odd to me that the hospital would be able to sue him directly, even if he was obliged by law to help his mother.

This stuff just makes me <facepalm>. Like anyone has a choice that they were born, or to who, and what the circumstances are. As a parent myself, I guess I am missing the whole concept of not loving your kids, or feeling like they owe me something for being born, and raised and educated. It's a part of life, things we pass on from generation to generation.

You know, screw all that. I am going to keep a ledger. Every time my daughter wants pizza or ice cream, it goes in the book. Mwahahahahahahaaaaaa
Heaven help her if she needs braces...anyone know a decent interest rate to calculate on this?

You know, screw all that. I am going to keep a ledger. Every time my daughter wants pizza or ice cream, it goes in the book. Mwahahahahahahaaaaaa
Heaven help her if she needs braces...anyone know a decent interest rate to calculate on this?
My wife and I have already started a "bill box" as a joke, for when our daughter turns 18. Just to keep that whole "I want to have babies" thing in perspective. *grins*

C

Chibibar

This stuff just makes me <facepalm>. Like anyone has a choice that they were born, or to who, and what the circumstances are. As a parent myself, I guess I am missing the whole concept of not loving your kids, or feeling like they owe me something for being born, and raised and educated. It's a part of life, things we pass on from generation to generation.

You know, I think the people should think why in the world are these laws are in place in the first place? Why are the children NOT taking care of their parents when they are old? Generally most people would usually follow "Do unto other as they do unto you" if a parent are good parents and raise their kids properly, most of the time, the kids will take care of the parents. In many other culture other than U.S. people do this. The Hispanic, Asians, African, European and other nation, seem to do this. Now if a parent is being a good parent and do all the things they need to do and fell into hard time, the kids should come and take up the slack on their own without having force to do it via laws. Of course when parents keep good communication with their children, these things will happen (IMO)

but when a parents abandon the kids (like article above) or pass on to Grandparents (like the hospital thing) I don't think it is fair for the parents to come back saying "Hey, you owe me, I'm gonna sue you" and they shouldn't win. If you are being a parent to a kid, you can't use the law to "collect" later. I don't think it is fair in my book.

S

Soliloquy

You know, I think the people should think why in the world are these laws are in place in the first place? Why are the children NOT taking care of their parents when they are old? Generally most people would usually follow "Do unto other as they do unto you" if a parent are good parents and raise their kids properly, most of the time, the kids will take care of the parents. In many other culture other than U.S. people do this. The Hispanic, Asians, African, European and other nation, seem to do this. Now if a parent is being a good parent and do all the things they need to do and fell into hard time, the kids should come and take up the slack on their own without having force to do it via laws. Of course when parents keep good communication with their children, these things will happen (IMO)

but when a parents abandon the kids (like article above) or pass on to Grandparents (like the hospital thing) I don't think it is fair for the parents to come back saying "Hey, you owe me, I'm gonna sue you" and they shouldn't win. If you are being a parent to a kid, you can't use the law to "collect" later. I don't think it is fair in my book.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, in the U.S., "Do unto others" is usually followed by something like "however the hell you please because it's your gorram right!"

Around my parts we have laws that say children have a duty to support their elderly parents, but they also recently added an exception for parents who haven't performed their parental duty. So an estranged deadbeat dad is getting no money.

P

Papillon

... Why are the children NOT taking care of their parents when they are old? Generally most people would usually follow "Do unto other as they do unto you" if a parent are good parents and raise their kids properly, most of the time, the kids will take care of the parents. In many other culture other than U.S. people do this. The Hispanic, Asians, African, European and other nation, seem to do this. Now if a parent is being a good parent and do all the things they need to do and fell into hard time, the kids should come and take up the slack on their own without having force to do it via laws. Of course when parents keep good communication with their children, these things will happen (IMO) ...
Not every good tradition or moral action needs to have the force of law behind it. In years gone by when support from their children was the only safety net for an impoverished parent to fall back on, this may have been appropriate. In this day and age of the welfare state (for better or worse), I think these laws are no longer necessary. It doesn't mean that children shouldn't support their parents (if necessary), only that the Government shouldn't be making that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.