[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

GasBandit

Staff member
I caved like an asshole and bought loot boxes before the event's end and got exactly what I deserved. Most boxes were just grays and blues, one epic that was Roadhog's POTG intro and the only legendary was a dupe of the only legendary I already had, red Mei.

Gambling for me in this game just isn't worth it.
The whole event lootbox dynamic is utter shit from start to finish, and if you ask me, should legally be called gambling. That the prizes are intangible does not mean they do not have worth.

BananaHands

Staff member
Tracer is my new main.

Honestly, once I realized that the point of Tracer is to antagonize away from the point and torment tanks I jumped like 400 SR in two days.

Tracer is my new main.
Honestly, once I realized that the point of Tracer is to antagonize away from the point and torment tanks I jumped like 400 SR in two days.
Yep. Her job is to worry (not "to be concerned," I mean the other kind). Keep on 'em, keep shooting, keep them all chasing after you, then blow them up.

--Patrick

BananaHands

Staff member
Yep. Her job is to worry (not "to be concerned," I mean the other kind). Keep on 'em, keep shooting, keep them all chasing after you, then blow them up.

--Patrick
A good strategy is to work with a Widowmaker, Hanzo or Soldier to pick at the tanks you make turn around to fight you.

Usually on Sym I act like a flanker and hunt the healers. I will make a death room and then once the enemies pass me I jump out to the back line to cook the healers and any of the squishier enemies with my max beam before the tank even realizes what happened. 90% of the time it works great, but now and then you get those healers that are just to good to harass that way (A mercy that flies between teammates every second, Lucio that uses proper crossfade swapping for speedy escapes, a very accurate sleep dart ana, etc), on those ones I just focus on pissing the whole team off. I did that to one team on Illios and they were so pissed that when they finally killed me they all teabagged me, even though they were losing terribly, lol. I ran back and murdered them in an overtime for the POTG. :cool:

Also don't hesitate putting shield generators in the defense starter spawn room. Whether attack or defense few people go into that room after the first cap and its so centralized it can cover a huge part of the map. The only one that is too risky is Route 66, since the spawn room is small and right on the payload track, thus often used as cover for both sides. You have to be sneaky about that since often times once the enemy knows you have a symmetra, a tracer or genji will go searching for the generator, and I find that room is usually either skipped or the last place they check.

BTW, Sym is now just under Lucio as my most played character, I simply loved her redesign.

Side effect of hook 2.0: Roadhog can now nudge things backwards over cliffs.
Ah, I get it.
IF (distance_to_target != hook_return_distance) WHEN (hook_anim_done = "true") THEN SET distance_to_target = hook_return_distance

Seems like this could be fixed easily by changing the != to >=

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, I get it.
IF (distance_to_target != hook_return_distance) WHEN (hook_anim_done = "true") THEN SET distance_to_target = hook_return_distance

Seems like this could be fixed easily by changing the != to >=

--Patrick
It's been too many years since I needed to pseudocode something, but I think it's more like

If Status=="Hooked" (HookedDestination = GetCoords(Roadhog'sLocation+(5FeetOutOnRoadhog'sFacingVector));
DoHookedAnim(MyOriginalPosition, HookedDestination));

And this is different because it used to be 3 feet out instead of 5.

Last edited:
It's been too many years since I needed to pseudocode something
It doesn't help that the majority of my programming has been in proprietary languages, meaning I don't C or JScript or whatever (and have no immediate need to do so).
But basically my pseudocode was supposed to demonstrate that some programmer's "fix" for sanity checking the end of the hook animation is that the code checks the distance between player and hooked object and, if it does not return the proper value, destructively sets that value to what it should be. This code would work fine every time the hooked object starts at a distance greater than the desired final value, but fails when the hooked object in fact started within that radius.

--Patrick

It annoys me how many of this one's skins are legendary and I am he with the cursed loot boxes. I can hardly get an epic most of the time, meanwhile my wife's boxes pour out the good stuff. Same with Hearthstone packs.

Must be witchcraft.

I must have gotten lucky. During the course of the event I got Roadhogs, Reinharts (duplicate), and Mei's, Legendary skins then Mercy, Symmetra, Tracer, and Bastions purples. I haven't spend a dime on this game. Just boxes from leveling up and weekly arcade. I think maybe 10 total. Oh! and I got Zen and Sambra non event legendaries in that mix too.

[DOUBLEPOST=1487266224,1487266150][/DOUBLEPOST]

--Patrick

Her and Winston. Although Winston is more geared to pick off snipers and loaners.

I must have gotten lucky. During the course of the event I got Roadhogs, Reinharts (duplicate), and Mei's, Legendary skins then Mercy, Symmetra, Tracer, and Bastions purples. I haven't spend a dime on this game. Just boxes from leveling up and weekly arcade. I think maybe 10 total. Oh! and I got Zen and Sambra non event legendaries in that mix too
You're the devil.

My wife against my wishes bought me another $20 in loot boxes for the event. For those keeping score, that's 35 paid for boxes, not counting those from level ups and Arcade.

1 Mei dup legendary
1 Mei's other legendary
1 Reinhardt legendary
Junkrat's epic

... that's it. The rest, shitty sprays, user icons, couple of victory poses. Hearthstone at least has a reasonable pity counter, but I don't know if Overwatch does, at least on console.

I'm going to play a little more between events so I can have more gold to spend later in case something comes up I want, because despite all that, because the dupes were still largely grays and blues, I was just short of getting 3000 before the event ended.

GasBandit

Staff member
"... g̛̩̭o̞̦̼͡ ̛̙̬̼̬̳̼t̳̝͖͉̹̣͕ọ̯͓̖ ͘y̝͖̼̫o̡̥͇u̝̹̱̭̙r͈̞̮ ̣͕̬̣̩͟r̹̜̭̬̙̰͝o̧͖̜͔͚o̜͎̪m̳̗̤̬̮,̟̙̘̮̭ ̠͉͔̼́S̡͈͕̜̠o̟̥̫mb̟̲̟̥̭͙̤r͕̬̯a͍͎̣͎̮̜͕."

I think I see Daphne as more of a Symmetra or Widowmaker, not D.Va.
If anyone was gonna be D.Va, it'd be Scrappy (assuming you didn't want to make him Bastion just for the battle cry).

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I see Daphne as more of a Symmetra or Widowmaker, not D.Va.
If anyone was gonna be D.Va, it'd be Scrappy (assuming you didn't want to make him Bastion just for the battle cry).

--Patrick
Symmettra and Roadhog

Bastion

Widowmaker:

Junkrat

Torbjorn

Zenyatta

Reinhardt

We could do this all night.