[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

Yeah, Activision more or less pulled an EA on Blizzard. We all knew it would happen, anyway.
I'll enjoy the games I already own from them, but it'd have to be something pretty amazing to get me fork over money. Considering I bought Diablo II....5 times over the years? and I don't intend to buy Diablo IV, Immortal or 2: Resurrected at all, they're really doing good business there.

Yeah, Activision more or less pulled an EA on Blizzard. We all knew it would happen, anyway.
I'll enjoy the games I already own from them, but it'd have to be something pretty amazing to get me fork over money. Considering I bought Diablo II....5 times over the years? and I don't intend to buy Diablo IV, Immortal or 2: Resurrected at all, they're really doing good business there.
It always was happening little by little, but Mike and some of the other old guard kept fighting for Blizzard to have some autonomy. They pushed back a lot on some of the things Activision asked for, and for the most part, Bobby let them do it because he didn't want to destroy the golden goose. Then Titan happened, and that was likely when the split started, because Blizzard held the ethos that "You don't release an unfinished game" while Activision had the ethos of "You can't just pull the plug because it didn't work." Of course, Blizzard proved they could recover, since they morphed Titan into Overwatch, but the seed was planted to remove the blockers and keep the toadies. Then Bungie decided to pull out of their partnership with Activision, and you can just hear the tendrils wrap around Blizzard's neck as Bobby couldn't let the company that literally took up half their name (Activision Blizzard) get an ideas of going rogue too.

Blizzard is gone. Just have to accept that fact at this point. Everyone that had a spine has been supplanted now. Activision has been doing this for a while now to cement it's control over the company, starting with Mike Morhaime, and quickly pushing away anyone else that may push back on the agenda.

There has been like ten new companies they have risen from this exodus. Mike started a whole new game studio that covers some of them, but a few others have gone completely independent including almost the entire StarCraft 2 development team, who left when Activision decided that RTS games were no longer a viable genre.

Jeff Kaplan was the latest one pushed out. Rumor is he pushed back on something Activision wanted to do with Overwatch 2 and they basically told him to shut up or leave. He decided to leave.

It sucks but no empire lasts forever.
Ben Brode also started his own studio.

I could hardly call Titan becoming Overwatch a "recovery", considering they are going back to completely revamp the game into something that it more in line with it's storytelling and marketing philosophy. To put it bluntly, Overwatch (as it is) doesn't make a god damn lick of sense when you compare it's gameplay to it's ongoing story, mostly because of it's PVP focus... and that PVP focus has kind of destroyed Blizzard's ability to properly market the brand.

Then there's the whole lootbox thing... when your income for a title depends on exploiting a very small minority of your base to CATASTROPHIC LEVELS, you've made a mockery of ethics.

GasBandit

Staff member
It sucks but no empire lasts forever.
And it's mind boggling, because Blizzard, ever since the early 2000s and WoW, has been a money printing machine. All Activision had to do was sit back and collect money for not doing anything really to contribute to the process.

But no, they decided that if they took the chicken that laid golden eggs, and started force feeding it laxatives and then squeezing it in a press, it'd lay eggs faster, and kicked anybody who pointed out the stupidity out the door.

I could hardly call Titan becoming Overwatch a "recovery", considering they are going back to completely revamp the game into something that it more in line with it's storytelling and marketing philosophy. To put it bluntly, Overwatch (as it is) doesn't make a god damn lick of sense when you compare it's gameplay to it's ongoing story, mostly because of it's PVP focus... and that PVP focus has kind of destroyed Blizzard's ability to properly market the brand.
I am speaking purely from a monetary perspective. Titan was a failure for Blizzard but Overwatch turned into a hit game that lead to the investment into it's own esports league. It may not make sense overall due to it being stuffed together based on a different game, but it was a recovery, since it became a success story.

Then there's the whole lootbox thing... when your income for a title depends on exploiting a very small minority of your base to CATASTROPHIC LEVELS, you've made a mockery of ethics.
The loot boxes of Overwatch and the real money auction house in Diablo 3 are the best examples of the tug of war games the old guard at Blizzard and Activision kept doing with each other. Activision wants every game to have an alternate revenue stream, not just base box price, because more money. Blizzard didn't want to make a whole catalog of pay to win items that they would just sell at a premium, so the RMAH was supposed to be a compromise. Even then, after Mike realized the D3 developers hated it, he had them take it down without Activision's approval.

When it came time for OW to figure out it's scheme, none of the developers wanted to have loot boxes, but instead wanted people to be able to earn the cosmetics. They lost out, but added gameplay earned loot boxes that also gave currency that could be accumulated, thus giving a purely game method way to earn rewards. When they realized a shit ton of people were gorging on the purchased boxes due to the full RNG method the boxes used to work in, they changed it so any specific type of cosmetic you get would always be one you didn't already own, which was another thing Activision hated because it gave less incentive to "binge on the boxes" every event.

You can only do so much when the company that owns you is constantly breathing down your neck for profits, so they picked their battles and pushed back when they could. Now with most of them gone though, don't be surprised if some revenue systems get changed to force more purchases (OW2 Battle Pass likely incoming).

Last edited:
I still have WoW installed on the desktop. Even had it patched after moving all my games to the new SSD.

But it's been nearly two years since I played, and given recent news, I'm not inclined to get back in.

So I'm contemplating whether or not to just wipe the game off of my PC. Shrug.

I still have WoW installed on the desktop. Even had it patched after moving all my games to the new SSD.

But it's been nearly two years since I played, and given recent news, I'm not inclined to get back in.

So I'm contemplating whether or not to just wipe the game off of my PC. Shrug.
If I wasn't raiding with a bunch of very nice people I enjoy spending time with, I wouldn't be running WoW, period. FF14 is superiour in every way EXCEPT it doesn't have difficult 24-man raids in the same fashion that WoW does.

And it's mind boggling, because Blizzard, ever since the early 2000s and WoW, has been a money printing machine. All Activision had to do was sit back and collect money for not doing anything really to contribute to the process.

But no, they decided that if they took the chicken that laid golden eggs, and started force feeding it laxatives and then squeezing it in a press, it'd lay eggs faster, and kicked anybody who pointed out the stupidity out the door.
Welcome to late stage capitalism. You can't be content on making tons of money because that won't appease the SHAREHOLDERS. They need to see continual growth, never ceasing, never stopping. Did you make -all- the money in the world? No? Then keep making more!

1630027211551.png

I suppose it was pretty much inevitable. Have fun re-recording something like 11% of the game's dialogue and rerendering the movies.
I don't know what his new name's gonna be, but I bet it ain't gonna be "Joel."

--Patrick

I suppose it was pretty much inevitable. Have fun re-recording something like 11% of the game's dialogue and rerendering the movies.
I don't know what his new name's gonna be, but I bet it ain't gonna be "Joel."

--Patrick
We're not gonna name characters after our team members anymore because our members are just the worst. No no, we're not going to stop hiring and rewarding monsters, but we won't name our characters after them anymore

We're not gonna name characters after our team members anymore because our members are just the worst. No no, we're not going to stop hiring and rewarding monsters, but we won't name our characters after them anymore
I read it as more, "Wow this is gonna be hella inconvenient let's make sure we never have to deal with this again."

--Patrick

To be perfectly fair from what I hear they have purged absolutely everyone from the company that was part of the scandal. Not even the company president survived. I think that at least covers some of the accountability part. Now it's up to the state to handle any criminal charges of sexual assault.

Whether they actually do anything to improve the environment and have the foresight to hold themselves to a higher standard going forward is another story.

GasBandit

Staff member
To be perfectly fair from what I hear they have purged absolutely everyone from the company that was part of the scandal. Not even the company president survived. I think that at least covers some of the accountability part. Now it's up to the state to handle any criminal charges of sexual assault.

Whether they actually do anything to improve the environment and have the foresight to hold themselves to a higher standard going forward is another story.
It's all meaningless until Kotick's head is on a spike.

Looks like everyone gets a free name change, if’n they wanna.
It’s sooner than I thought they’d be able to. I do think they could’ve done better (maybe even riffed the “Man With No Name” thing a little), but I suppose this keeps the syllable & rhyme schemes intact.

—Patrick

Kind of surprised they didn't just go with like "The Outlaw" or something, over half the cast uses nicknames so I don't get why his name needs to be normal. They could have just played off that he gave up his old name and just wishes to be some nickname and then just never called him McCree again. Oh well.

That’s kinda what I meant by the MwNN vibe. His default skin already screams “Dollars Trilogy.” I expected something more Sergio Leonine.

—Patrick

My favorite is my wife, who says his name should be changed to what tumblr calls him anyway, which is “Mrs. Hanzo.”

—Patrick