OCAA Soccer try-out

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kevin91

Hi, so tomorrow is the last day for soccer try-outs. I've never really played soccer in my life, perhaps a few times.

I was thinking about trying out as a goalie. Has anyone ever tried out for any sport? If so, do I need to be in full-equipment? I found a pair of goalie gloves around my house, but there are no shoes or shin guards.

Is it worth it to try out for a college level team if I have no experience with the game at all? I've been a hockey goalie for almost a year, but I'm not sure how much help that would be. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Dave

Staff member
College level with no experience? Probably not gonna happen. I'm sorry to bust your bubble. But stranger things have happened so if you don't mind trying go for it.

K

kevin91

Thanks for the words of encouragement. However, I've never tried out for a team before. Would I need all of the equipment before trying out? Such as cleats and shin pads?

Try anyway, you might find you have a hidden talent. As for equipment, if you have none, not much you can do, but be honest if asked why. Don't act tough as if you don't need all that gear.

Dave

Staff member
Thanks for the words of encouragement. However, I've never tried out for a team before. Would I need all of the equipment before trying out? Such as cleats and shin pads?
I really wasn't trying to be a jerk, but people work very, very hard to get onto college sports teams. Someone deciding the day before the tryouts that they want to apply and are going onto a web forum to check equipment means either a serious lack of preparedness or - and I'm sorry to come to this conclusion - a joke.

But I'm going to take your questions at face value and give you some serious answers. First, if you have never played the game then goalie is probably the best spot for you. Soccer is an incredibly difficult game physically and if you are not in shape it will eat you alive. You will probably need gloves at the least but if you show up in nothing more than tennis shoes at least you'll be able to get yourself an idea as to whether or not that natural talent is there.

Second, it'll also depend on the school. Some college programs are very large and your chances are less than stellar. However, if this is a smaller school with a small program there's a chance that you can shine enough to get looked at twice. If you do get cut, ask the coach(es) if there is something you can do to help out the team. Maybe the need an equipment guy. Sure you wouldn't be playing, but you'd be learning the game and getting to know the personnel.

Still, don't get your hopes up too much. You are going in unprepared and thus are already at a disadvantage to the other players who are probably more experienced than you. Good luck!

K

kevin91

The reality is most likely very slim, but hey. It doesn't hurt to try right? If there's an intramural soccer team or something, I could perhaps join that, and try out again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.