Not working at home anymore but you can still AMA if you want

Also known as a patio door or, even more plainly, a sliding door.
Patio doors can be sliding or swinging. Sliding doors could mean interior doors not meant to seal against weather.

A doorwall is kind of a weird thing, but it's very specifically a sliding door that seals against the elements.

Patio doors can be sliding or swinging. Sliding doors could mean interior doors not meant to seal against weather.

A doorwall is kind of a weird thing, but it's very specifically a sliding door that seals against the elements.
Y'all overthink this stuff.

B

BErt

Y'all overthink this stuff.

I just find the contempt for the term doorwall hilarious. Everyone unfamiliar with it says it's dumb, or over complicated, when it's actually very much the opposite. It's fewer syllables than any other term people use and yet it's just immediately rejected as invalid. :p

I'm not doing that, though. Or didn't intend to. I was asking what it was, confirming I understand the explanation, and then commenting on stienman's
(albeit drastically more concise
than usual)

Yeah, I was genuinely curious what it was, personally. The explication is useful and to the point.
Of course, we have a separate word for a doorwall in Dutch too, so I don't think it's weird to have a word for it :p

B

BErt

What else would we do during the long dark winters?

Well, aside from the obvious...
...12 babies later...

i wasn't intending to accuse, but that is always the response I've gotten. "why don't you just call it a 'sliding glass door?'" well...because that's basically a goddamn sentence when a two syllable word can suffice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to carry on this sillyness
Sliding doors could mean interior doors not meant to seal against weather.
That's what we call a pocket door. If it slides away into a wall, anyway. The ones that slide along the wall, still visible when open, we call a barn door.

And the patio door remains exclusively that sliding glass exterior door - whether it leads out to a patio or not.

Huh. More like Gruyèrebeard, amright?

--Patrick
Aye, if I wasnt so lazy I would've thought of something clever like that.[DOUBLEPOST=1481868506,1481868115][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and a question for @BErt, since this is a thread for that. How do I change my username to Gruebread?