Nostalgia Critic (Even for those who DON'T like him)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I get a list so I can judge him without watching the video?

I think the preview was a Dark Knight screencap on the top half of the list so already we're off to a rousingly shitty start.

Bolded the movies, deal with my horrible typos. I muted it and just went ahead as much as possible to find the movie posters and not have to see that horrible logo. Deal with the chatlog with fellow halforum sensation Gusto!

(19:09:35) n30raven: Titus
(19:09:42) n30raven: I ain't seen it, can't really make fun :(
(19:10:06) WithGust0: :-(
(19:10:29) n30raven: his stupid fucking logo thing of himself is really obnoxious
(19:10:37) n30raven: next is Hamlet, also haven't seen it
(19:11:00) n30raven: is #1 going to be O or some shit
(19:11:20) n30raven: now Patton, can't argue too much here
(19:11:43) n30raven: Ed Wood, again haven't seen, but heard good things
(19:12:09) n30raven: Fantasia, good movie no doubt, but just a kind of odd hoice
(19:12:24) WithGust0: yea it really is
(19:12:40) n30raven: Secret of Nimh, never seen
(19:12:56) n30raven: Sideways, good choice
(19:13:27) WithGust0: I've never seen like any of these
(19:13:37) n30raven: now spirited away
(19:13:56) WithGust0: hmmmmmm
(19:13:56) n30raven: oh hay clockwork orange, noie
(19:14:28) n30raven: Fearless which I ain't never heard of
(19:14:48) WithGust0: isnt fearless a JLo movie?
(19:14:57) n30raven: no
(19:15:00) n30raven: it's some older movie
(19:15:04) n30raven: well maybe 80s
(19:15:32) n30raven: I accidentally didn't mute it
(19:15:36) n30raven: this dude sounds like an asshole
(19:15:46) WithGust0: hahaha
(19:15:53) n30raven: 10 is Citizen Kane
(19:16:30) WithGust0: man everyone loves that fucking movie i dont get it
(19:16:45) n30raven: I haen't seen it
(19:17:07) n30raven: Fear and Loathing 9
(19:17:08) WithGust0: me neither but i understand the concept
(19:17:24) WithGust0: eh i didnt like that movie so much
(19:17:32) n30raven: hahaha 8 is the Dark knight hahahahahhaha
(19:17:36) n30raven: mocking COMMENCING
(19:17:42) WithGust0: OF COURSSSE
(19:18:31) n30raven: 7 good night and good luck
(19:18:35) n30raven: which I admittedly haven't seen
(19:18:52) n30raven: 6 lost in translation
(19:19:11) n30raven: 5 eyes wide shut
(19:19:18) n30raven: whih I haven't seen either
(19:20:00) n30raven: hahahahhahahaha
(19:20:03) n30raven: 4 is the original batman
(19:20:08) n30raven: which is fucking terrible
(19:20:11) n30raven: ahhahahahahahahahahahah
(19:20:34) n30raven: 3 is to kill a mockingbird which is a very legit choice
(19:20:55) n30raven: 2 Amadeus which is also legit
(19:21:48) n30raven: 1 brazil, which I haven't seen

But no, seriously, the first Batman isn't even the 4th best Batman movie of all time.

ElJuski

Staff member
That's a pretty shitty list of the Best Movies of All Time.

I'll deal with A Clockwork Orange and the top three; not in those positions, but they're all good movies (I haven't seen Brazil in fucken forever though...)

Thanks for posting that Charlie so I don't have to deal with Nostalgia Critic being "himself".

And Gruebeard...exactly :p

Seen most of what he chose and they're all good movies, though I'm not big on top # lists so I've never bothered to put them in order.

Seriously, people mocking the video when they didn't even listen to it. There's a difference between a movie snob and being an ignorant jackass.

This was simply meant to be posted, for those who don't like the "NC Schtick" and see that there is more sides to Doug. Yet some people just can't seem to grow up and give something a chance before wailing on it like a kid flailing about in a dark room holding a flashlight but refusing to turn it on.

And yes, it is a 'favorites' list, not an "all time greatest". Which you could have heard, if you had watched it at all.

We know what Charlie is.

Seen more than half of those. I really never cared for the Branaugh Hamlet, and I can see the good in Sideways, but I just can't make myself like it.

Shannow

Staff member
Hahahahahahaha.

Not too bad so far. just the guy listing his favorites, and why he likes em. I agree with Sheg on this one. no real reason to hate at all.

and yes, I do watch his stuff normally as well.

I just thought it'd be a nice "second look" for some of those NC critics who might only have one view on him. To see that he's got some real taste in films (and some odd ones as well) and he can come across very sincere.

R

RealBigNuke

Never really liked the shtick. That's not a bad favorite movie list, if a bit quirky, but I'm going to continue not really liking the shtick, I think.

I'm a little curious to why Charlie hates the 89 Batman so much. I'm with Critic there, it's the first movie I ever remember seeing in theatres (I grew up in a town without a theatre) and I still love it to this day, even beyond it's oddities.

I'm a little curious to why Charlie hates the 89 Batman so much. I'm with Critic there, it's the first movie I ever remember seeing in theatres (I grew up in a town without a theatre) and I still love it to this day, even beyond it's oddities.
Michael Keaton is a really off-putting batman. Jack Nicholson gives a really weird, campy performance. The tone is really annoying and dated, and Tim Burton's style just really doesn't work for the whole Batman vs Joker story. It works a lot better in Returns. I mean, it's not one of the worst movies of all time, but I like Returns, Forever, Begins, and Dark Knight better without even thinking about it.

Forever?

FOREVER?

You just lost "movie snob" title. Seriously. :facepalm:
Batman Forever was for the people who enjoyed Batman in the Silver Age. If you didn't like the campy, off the wall humor or the bright colors present in that iteration, you didn't like Forever.

Here's how I see it. Forever went full-camp. But the Burton ones were stuck in some half-camp purgatory. Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones knew exactly what movie they were in.

Michael Keaton is a really off-putting batman. Jack Nicholson gives a really weird, campy performance. The tone is really annoying and dated, and Tim Burton's style just really doesn't work for the whole Batman vs Joker story. It works a lot better in Returns. I mean, it's not one of the worst movies of all time, but I like Returns, Forever, Begins, and Dark Knight better without even thinking about it.[/QUOTE]
Huh. That's... huh.

T

ThatNickGuy

I was never crazy about the first Batman movie, honestly. For one, it hasn't aged well. Two, I hated the first four movies' treatment of Jim Gordon. Jack Nicholson, as great as he was, wasn't really The Joker to me. It was just Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson dressed up as Joker. Keaton was a great Batman, but not quite as good as Bruce (though still pretty good).

I too liked Returns more, but mostly for Devito as Penguin, which was just awesome to watch. I used to have his solioquay to Max Shrek memorized. "I believe the word you're looking for...is AHHHHHH! Actually, this is all just a bad dream..." Great stuff.

I actually kinda dig Forever, as well. It was still kinda dark like the first two movies, but with more over-the-top fun. Jones did what he could with what he was given and Carey just went nuts, which was good at this point in his career. And I thought Kilmer had a good balance between both Bruce and Batman. He wasn't great as either, but it felt more balanced.

Mind you, I don't rate any of them higher than Mask of the Phantasm or Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. I firmly believe they were the best.

Regarding Doug's list? I liked it, honestly. Surprised by some choices on the list, but not surprised by most since I've followed him from the beginning. I did like that he had some Shakespeare on there and kinda surprised by Brazil being on there, as I'd never heard him mention it before on the site, I don't think.

J

JCM

I was never crazy about the first Batman movie, honestly. For one, it hasn't aged well. Two, I hated the first four movies' treatment of Jim Gordon. Jack Nicholson, as great as he was, wasn't really The Joker to me. It was just Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson dressed up as Joker. Keaton was a great Batman, but not quite as good as Bruce (though still pretty good).

I too liked Returns more, but mostly for Devito as Penguin, which was just awesome to watch. I used to have his solioquay to Max Shrek memorized. "I believe the word you're looking for...is AHHHHHH! Actually, this is all just a bad dream..." Great stuff.

I actually kinda dig Forever, as well. It was still kinda dark like the first two movies, but with more over-the-top fun. Jones did what he could with what he was given and Carey just went nuts, which was good at this point in his career. And I thought Kilmer had a good balance between both Bruce and Batman. He wasn't great as either, but it felt more balanced.

Mind you, I don't rate any of them higher than Mask of the Phantasm or Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. I firmly believe they were the best.

Regarding Doug's list? I liked it, honestly. Surprised by some choices on the list, but not surprised by most since I've followed him from the beginning. I did like that he had some Shakespeare on there and kinda surprised by Brazil being on there, as I'd never heard him mention it before on the site, I don't think.
Pretty much this.

People today write off the 89 Batman, and forget that just like Neil Adaim´s run on on the Batman comics, the Batman movie made Batman be for adults again.

Before that? Batman was a show for kids with BAM! and POW! (and so were the comics before the Moench/Adams run). The 89 batman showed that a GOOD and SERIOUS hero movie could be made, and not for kids, and still do well in the box office.

It also made Warner brothers accept the idea of the Batman: The animated series, with just the itroduction sequence and the movie-ish intro song, which gave us Bruce Timm and Paul Dini and all of modern DC animation.

fade

Staff member
So who came first? This guy, or Alton Brown's Good Eats? His schtick seems like a lesser copy of Alton Brown's humor.

So who came first? This guy, or Alton Brown's Good Eats? His schtick seems like a lesser copy of Alton Brown's humor.
I...I don't see that at all. Alton Brown speaks quickly and matter-of-factly, whereas NC pretty much fluctuates between talking and screaming.

fade

Staff member
I haven't seen but maybe 1.5 Nostalgia Critics, but I do watch a lot of Good Eats. They weren't exactly the same, but sure felt similar to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.