No longer are we denied! New Mechwarrior game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does the world deny us more Mechwarrior/Battletech?

@Li3n said:
Also, MW3 > MW4... if only because in 4 they looked like they where made of plastic...
Oh, and also 4 decided that realistic pulse lasers weren't cool enough...

All the more reason that they really just need to develop an online version of the board game with micro translations to buy different mech models, expansions to add in other features (Aerospace, tanks and such) and a map editor.
Micro-transactions haven't panned out as i recall...

A monthly subscription like DDi would be better...

I think a Mechwarrior MMO would be friggen awesome. Even have mild loss of equipment after losing a battle/ scavenging parts from your fallen enemies. Each expansion would be a new dropzone...

E

elph

@Li3n said:
[quote="@Li3n":qzscet79] Also, MW3 > MW4... if only because in 4 they looked like they where made of plastic...

All the more reason that they really just need to develop an online version of the board game with micro translations to buy different mech models, expansions to add in other features (Aerospace, tanks and such) and a map editor.

A monthly subscription like DDi would be better...[/quote:qzscet79]

See, I agree that micro transactions haven't really panned out exactly. But I look at it as if I were to buy the physical mecha mini. Granted, I'm getting away at a much cheaper cost because if I need 5 Timber wolf mechs for my star, I don't have to spend $5x25, I'd just spen $5 for the access to the one mech model. The base game would come with some stock mechs, not exactly one of every weight class, but a lot like the starter box set for Battletech had the plastic minis.

I'm not so sure I'd be willing to pay for a monthly game that really, once it was out, wouldn't require any kind of full upkeep or content. Maps can be made with exclusive designs and features and sold through micro transactions (where each player would need to pay for access to the map), but there would also be a map creator that was fairly basic in it's means to spur player creativity in custom scenarios.

I don't know... paying for stuff that influences gameplay and separates players isn't all that great. Maybe the guild wars model would work better, you'd get the full game, but expansions (Start at IS mechs and then have a Clan exp) and some extras (more room for mechs in ur garage etc.) would cost money... and one can always add more areas (it's like a big chunk of the galaxy).

See what WotC is doing with D&D...

E

elph

@Li3n said:
I don't know... paying for stuff that influences gameplay and separates players isn't all that great. Maybe the guild wars model would work better, you'd get the full game, but expansions (Start at IS mechs and then have a Clan exp) and some extras (more room for mechs in ur garage etc.) would cost money... and one can always add more areas (it's like a big chunk of the galaxy).

See what WotC is doing with D&D...
True.. I was going with the thought something like the old RTS Total Annihilation. They would release a new unit every week or so for download. I think it would replace something already in game though. Obviously that wouldn't be part of the model.

There are a few pricing models that can make the project really work, but really it's all just pipe dreams I think.

A

Alucard

An MMO would sound interesting but I would rather have a solid RPG instead.
I think I have a copy of MechWarrior still laying about.

Dang I miss the good old days of Mechwarrior

A

Alucard

And sorry for double posting but I keep lamenting why we haven't gotten a second Freelancer game while they're at it

@Li3n said:
[quote="@Li3n":3uho3cw4] Also, MW3 > MW4... if only because in 4 they looked like they where made of plastic...

A monthly subscription like DDi would be better...[/quote:3uho3cw4]

You can guys can shit on 4 all you want, but Mech 4 Mercenaries is 100 times as fun as anything Mechwarrior 3 or any of the previous Mech 4 games did. It was easily the best game since....Mech 2 Mercenaries.

E

elph

I wasn't shitting on MW4 at all. I hadn't been able to play any MW since 2. My computer couldn't handle them at the time well enough for me to really get into them. I wanted to get into MW4, but by the time I did, everyone was done with it.

screw RPG's, i just want a digital version of the tabletop game. I would give my left nut for that.

PhantomShadow said:
And sorry for double posting but I keep lamenting why we haven't gotten a second Freelancer game while they're at it
Oh me too! And don't say Eve, I want something less high maintenance.

Might have been mentioned, but NCSoft has a free to play PvP game where you play as a robot. Never tried it, so no idea what it is like. Or what it's even called, having trouble loading the NCSoft main page at the moment.

Frankie said:
@Li3n said:
[quote="@Li3n":3o2rdym8] Also, MW3 > MW4... if only because in 4 they looked like they where made of plastic...
You can guys can shit on 4 all you want, but Mech 4 Mercenaries is 100 times as fun as anything Mechwarrior 3 or any of the previous Mech 4 games did. It was easily the best game since....Mech 2 Mercenaries.[/quote:3o2rdym8]

Hurray for taking a good idea and applying it to a lesser game... :p

C'mon, i wasn't complaining about the gameplay even... just some stupid design choices when it comes to the mech's looks and weapons. I liked MW4, if only because it was a new MW game... and extra mechs and game modes are always a good thing...

And of course any future MW game needs a Mercenaries expansion...

S

Scarlet Varlet

I always imagined a BattleTech MMO being a good idea. Get a bunch of mates online and invade the inner sphere, form a merc company or sommat. Ah, it would have been great. You'd need to bid contracts, transport your kit, 'conduct business' and get home or on to the next job without having a major reset to your game. You could join one of the major Houses for tours or boring Garrison Duty (until some other team moved on your world) Could have been fun.

-- Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:24 am --

Espy said:
screw RPG's, i just want a digital version of the tabletop game. I would give my left nut for that.
There's a fair one by Ralph Reed (not the politician) if you can fire up an Amiga Emulator.

D

Dusty668

I miss my Ultrabots.

HOT DAMN that looked sweet.

It did look suspiciously present day though.

Why the hell don't they just make a nice digital version of the tabletop game that you can play online... I think I'd waste so much time on that...

-- Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:19 pm --

A link to all 3 teasers: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/018/018954/vids_1.html

Surprise, Mechwarrior fans! That teaser from yesterday was indeed for a new Mechwarrior title,
YES!

which is in development at Piranha Games, who worked on the latest Transformers title.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So at least you know they have experience with giant robots! Then again, it also means they have experience with making crummy games based on giant robots.

Though, let's give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. They only helped develop Revenge of the Fallen. And being a movie tie-in, it had a deadline to meet. Something they won't have to worry about with Mechwarrior, what with Battletech being 25 years old and all.

This new game is called simply MechWarrior, and will serve as a reboot of sorts for the franchise. You'll still be piloting mechs, but the developers reckon that current console technology will for the first time let you feel like you're really behind the sticks of a giant fighting robot.

They're also shooting for a "dynamic battlefield", and rather than feature a food chain of mechs, instead want to let players choose a style of mech and then upgrade that to suit their tastes as they progress through the game.

MechWarrior is coming to the PC and Xbox 360, with no details yet on either a publisher or a release timeframe.

To see the full debut trailer, click below. Looks like GRAW with giant robots. Which is a real good place to start.
Alright, I'm a LITTLE less worried about it.

Man, that Atlas pilot needs a punch in the titty for being so terrible in that teaser. Also. I'm going to credit this thread. Made mere days before these announcements were made for the existence of this game. The Gods were like, this kid is right, we DO need more Mechwarrior games and changed the past so that this game would be in development. True story.

Some terrible, terrible choice cuts from the interview.

Russ and I have spent a lot of time talking about how this is not your father's MechWarrior
UGH.

One thing that you did say that I really want to touch on, because I think you hit it there, is that the mechs are the stars.
Well, at least we know hours of the game won't be devoted to the pilot's parents, his first days of college and his retard girlfriend.

First and foremost, in this day and age and this time, we've all played the PC games in the past and absolutely loved them. But certainly going forward, just out of necessity and because we think we can, we're definitely very focused also on the Xbox 360. So we're very focused on the console standpoint moving forward. Now, we still need to work out a lot with our chosen publishing partner, so some of these questions will become answered, but I think that Jordan and I are in agreement that we want to make a MechWarrior game.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK...........

I blame you pirates. This shit is squarely your fucking fault.

IGN: Okay, that's good to know in for people that might have been afraid of a Steel Battalion-like controller that they have to find a large coffee table to place the entire thing upon.

Jordan Weisman: No, I already did that – it was called the BattleTech centers. They were cool, but I don't need to do that again! (Laughs)
If they had said, Guys, we're going to make a special controller just for this game. I probably would have lost my shit and cum thrice. I'm probably alone there, but I would have. I liked Steel Battalion. I still have a box with the controller in my gaming past closet.

GasBandit

Staff member

Frankie said:
Blame outdated business models, overinflated price points, and ridiculous expectations on ROI. It costs nothing to press a CD. If the price point of a PC game was 25 dollars PC piracy would evaporate.

I don't know if most companies have ridiculous ROI expectations. Otherwise game developers wouldn't be going under left, right and center.

No PS3? Grrrrrrrr... at least no mention of it yet... but they did do the PS3 and XBOX ports for TFers2 so maybe there is hope... I don't play many games but I would play this...

They're also shooting for a "dynamic battlefield", and rather than feature a food chain of mechs, instead want to let players choose a style of mech and then upgrade that to suit their tastes as they progress through the game.
wat.

Thats not how it works you idiots. You pick a CLASS of mech. You don't start with a 20 tonner and build it up to 80 or 100. That defeats the purpose and concept of the war machine. Ugh.

That being said, the trailer looks amazing.

GasBandit

Staff member

Frankie said:
I don't know if most companies have ridiculous ROI expectations. Otherwise game developers wouldn't be going under left, right and center.
I think they are going under BECAUSE they had ridiculous ROI expectations. "Sure, we can budget X million dollars for that, once release hits we'll be swimming in dough."

-- Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:32 pm --

Espy said:
wat.

Thats not how it works you idiots. You pick a CLASS of mech. You don't start with a 20 tonner and build it up to 80 or 100. That defeats the purpose and concept of the war machine. Ugh.

That made me scratch my head too.. what, I can choose an atlas right at the start, but can't put anything but small pulse lasers on it until later in the game?

To me it sounds like they want to start you in any size Mech... :blue: Battlemasters for everybody...

I always liked learning how to play the game in a Jenner or similar small Mech.

They do keep using the term "classes" and they talk about someone piloting a light mech and getting so good at it they become a real force on the battlefield...
As long as they mean more how adept the pilot is I'm cool.
I don't think it's clear enough right now.

Espy said:
wat.

I think that's what they meant. You pick a class, and in that class it doesn't matter what "Look" you choose. Every style of mech in a class can do the same thing.

Here they talk about the classes.
So, in your lance, you're going to want a light scout mech, and he'll go out there and find out where they are and tag them. With the buildings, you can take cover and if you lose your enemies in the buildings, they'll lose you as a target. All those things that you couldn't do before – once you were a target in the past, you could never really escape; they could keep that red box around you no matter how many hills you ran behind. You can just see how now, between the buildings, getting on top of them, hiding, finding the information – we're going to make every class valuable again. So you have your scout mechs, have your medium class mechs, and then you want to have your assault class mechs when everything's all primed for the trap [to] take things out. That's going to really play into the single-player campaign, and it's hard to go into a lot of details because we don't know what might change through some discussions with the publisher.

But there's some great dynamics there for single-player there that we've discussed, and we've also talked about how great that would fall in line with co-op. Co-op campaigns are so popular nowadays, and some games have really great ones. We can't imagine hardly a better property for it: when you think of a lance as four mechs, we have an opportunity here to have a four-player lance, all with player controlled mechs and utilizing all four classes of the mechs in the universe from light, medium, heavy, and assault. So, it really does play out really well for the universe to, for the first time, take advantage of some of these big features like co-op, etc. Then again, for multiplayer, too – it's hard to imagine a better environment to create a progressive experience based system of multiplayer that really lasts and prolongs the playtime for the game.
-- Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:55 pm --

Here's some more on classes.
have a really intense single-player storyline and have the player have a reason to go through that single-player storyline four different times because they might want to experience it from a scout mech because the play style is so rewarding and unique on its own, to the medium, heavy, or an assault. They could go through it four times and then, that would open up co-op where you and three of your buddies could go through taking turns playing the different classes with the dynamics and strategies that would bring to your lance as you take turns playing with different roles with different classes of mechs, finding success by using all the different classes of mechs. I think that we're aiming to have the ability to have the full lance be player controlled.
-- Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:57 pm --

Espy, you might like this.
Things like the tagging beacons or the jamming radars – there've always been quite a few items in the pen-and-paper version for enhancing the information warfare but really haven't been utilized fully in a game before, so I think playing off of that, you'll see some of those things actually working in the game for the first time.

GasBandit

Staff member

I'm also a little leery of this "rebooting" the series thing. Does that mean they're going to play hell with battetech canon? Or merely start over from the kerensky exodus or something?

So it is a story of a planet called Deshler which is a Davion planet on the Kurita frontier, which, like many planets on the frontier, have changed hands back and forth. Kurita is making a play all along the frontier, reclaiming a bunch of territory, and our planet is one of those.

Again, we wanted to create an accessible entry point for the property, so our point-of-view character in the single-player game that you play is the fourth son of the noble house that rules this little planet for House Davion.
IGN: So just as a quick question related to the planet, the attacks within the single-player game are just like the strikes from House Kurita against House Davion during the first Succession Wars?

Jordan Weisman: Exactly. This planet was a Kurita planet a hundred years ago.

It sounds like the plot from the first Mechwarrior.

That will be cool to do again. I always played that final battle in a Medium Mech instead of and Assault. I sent my 3 lance mates in a frontal attack, and I'd run to the edge of the game board and charge the flanks... shooting out legs as fast as I could go with 4 .50's... :twisted:

Damn I loved shooting out legs.

-- Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:31 pm --

This would kick ass.

IGN: The last FASA Interactive title, Shadowrun, featured multiplayer support across the 360 and PC. Will you be looking to do the same within MechWarrior?

Russ Bullock: Absolutely. I mean, we don't have a lot of details at this point, but we've talked about it; we've talked about it very lightly. I don't see any reason at this point why that wouldn't be possible. So it would definitely be a large goal of ours to make that work for both co-op and multiplayer. That would be great. It'd be fabulous.

C

Chibibar

It would be interesting to see Mechwarrior MMO, but there has to be advantage toward light mech vs heavy mech. Balance for MMO gameplay would be tough to pull off (IMO) it is possible, but a lot of stuff have to be consider.

In pen and and paper Mechwarrior was the RPG end of the game. So hopefully they will add classes to the game. Pilot, driver, medic, aerospace, mechanic, infantry... I'd love to see that game in depth. It would even make a decent MMO.

I miss the original story line for Mechwarrior: PCDOS
From Moby Games

You are Gideon Braver Vandenburg, heir to the planet. While you were away, unknown attackers destroyed your home, killed your entire family, and stole the Chalice that you need to win the throne. When you are implicated in your own family's death, you are forced into exile. With a help of an old friend who contributed an old Jenner and some credits, you must become a mercenary. You must travel the Inner Sphere in search of clues to who set you up, and eventually avenge your family and recover the Chalice. You have five years. Good luck and good hunting.

Mechwarrior was the first 3D BattleTech game developed. Dynamix (who later developed the Starsiege series) created it for Activision. You go to a planet and in search of "fixers" who will set up some contracts with the local authorities. The terms are a flat payment and some salvage payments. Some houses are very stingy but they tell you a lot about the mission. Others pay well but may not tell you everything. You can buy/sell/repair 'Mechs, hire/fire pilots, decide which planet to move to, as you try to maintain decent relationships with all five houses of the Inner Sphere, while trying to uncover clues about where you need to go. This ground-breaking game is very replayable, as each mission is randomly generated. There's even some extended campaigns where you run 2-3 missions in a row.

GasBandit said:
Frankie said:
Blame outdated business models, overinflated price points, and ridiculous expectations on ROI. It costs nothing to press a CD. If the price point of a PC game was 25 dollars PC piracy would evaporate.
There is even less cost involved in digital downloads. So why are we paying as much to get a pure "soft" copy of a game as people who had to have it printed, pressed, packaged, shipped, stored, and sheved.

Status
Not open for further replies.