NFL players going crazy and dying young...

Status
Not open for further replies.
GQ article on brain trauma/CTE in NFL players and a true scientists, one that isn't in it for money or fame but to try and save lives. But be wary its a 19 page long article.

TLDR; is a bunch of former football players are going crazy and dying young due to tau protein build-up in the brain from hundreds/thousands of concussions during their football career.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_10980

Q

Qonas

Well, guess we better shut down the NFL. And while we're at it, get rid of pro wrestling and baseball. All that steroid usage just isn't healthy. Hockey's clearly gone. And screw medical research too, all those drugs that come out with side effects. Sheesh.

Bungie jumping? Sky diving? Flying a plane, period? Out. So dangerous. And don't even think about driving to work, have you seen what being in a car accident does? Insane. Bicycles are right out as well, even with a helmet there is so much potential for dangerous and life-threatening crashes. Walking is ok, but make sure you're always looking down so you see where you're going. One errant trip over a rock and BOOM HEAD TRAUMA.

Christ I shouldn't have checked the forums before going to bed on this college football eve. My inner snark has no check on it.

Did you read the article? There are guys that are 35 years old with worse going on in their head than a 90 year old with Alzheimer's and if you read it you will see the guy doesn't want to just get rid of football, he wants to try and find something to stop the build-up of tau proteins or to prevent as many brain injuries as possible during the course of the game.

Think of it this way Qonas... imagine that Boxing and Football were never invented. Now imagine that somebody first introduced them today. Without the decades of history and nostalgia backing them up, do you honestly see a sport that causes serious brain damage in it's best players when nothing goes wrong lasting very long? Admit it... it'd be shut down over night.

Shannow

Staff member
Think of it this way Qonas... imagine that Boxing and Football were never invented. Now imagine that somebody first introduced them today. Without the decades of history and nostalgia backing them up, do you honestly see a sport that causes serious brain damage in it's best players when nothing goes wrong lasting very long? Admit it... it'd be shut down over night.
UFC

C

Chazwozel

Decades? Try pretty much all of culture and society?

UFC[/QUOTE]

UFC is just building on the foundations set by Boxing and Martial Arts competitions. It's not exactly doing anything new or surprising.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Smurf no, it ain't depressing. It's smurfing awesome. My Smurfing Lions smurfing won last week! Wooooooooo!

It'll likely be smurfing depressing, and smurfing shameful, tomorrow though.

I don't see whats so bad about football being a major part of our culture. It unites communities better than basically everything else.

ElJuski

Staff member
Football is about as absurd and meaningless as video-games and masturbating to Felicia Day. I don't endorse enjoying football, but Jesus Christ, you nerds are being hypocritical.

L

Laurelai

Not culture like art and opera, but there is "a culture" that surrounds it for those who follow certain teams or sports closely. Does that make sense?

It unites communities better than basically everything else.
Not as well as random outbursts of violence.

I mean, have you ever gotten into a gang and beat someone to a bloody pulp and not just felt like your neigborhood was the tits?

It's entirely possible for a hobby to have a culture associated with it, but still lack what most would consider "culture". Gaming is especially guilty of this: It's full of deep stories, astounding music, an amazing visuals... and yet how many of those expletive spewing 12-year old Xbox Live kiddies stop to appreciate them?

C

Chazwozel

Football is about as absurd and meaningless as video-games and masturbating to Felicia Day. I don't endorse enjoying football, but Jesus Christ, you nerds are being hypocritical.
Thank you.

Actually, there is cultural significance behind many sports. The ancient Greeks, for example, played ruby. Sports are a very big part of human history.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

It's entirely possible for a hobby to have a culture associated with it, but still lack what most would consider "culture". Gaming is especially guilty of this: It's full of deep stories, astounding music, an amazing visuals... and yet how many of those expletive spewing 12-year old Xbox Live kiddies stop to appreciate them?
Eh...not really... Most video games are designed specifically to pander to those 12 year olds, not to older folks. It's pretty much 99% Michael Bay films, which aren't cultured.

ElJuski

Staff member
Whenever videogames have as rich of a tapestry as any of the literary canon, give me a call. I will wash your nerdy feet. They might have good stories, yes, but there really isn't any game out there that is exemplary of "high culture" status.

Which, there is a distinction, although "culture" can be used for both: "high culture", in terms of the appreciated arts, and pop culture--which I would put "sports" in.

C

Cuyval Dar

ITT: butthurt jocks put down video games and defend their preference for mindless violence.

Whenever videogames have as rich of a tapestry as any of the literary canon, give me a call. I will wash your nerdy feet. They might have good stories, yes, but there really isn't any game out there that is exemplary of \"high culture\" status.
Shadow of the Colossus and Ico are the two most often cited examples of "Games as Art", probably because of the minimalistic nature of both and how both ask you to fill in the blanks of the story yourself. This results in a story that is mainly driven by what you imagine it to be, instead of what you are told it is. It looks like The Last Guardian is going to follow in both games footsteps.

C

Chazwozel

ITT: butthurt jocks put down video games and defend their preference for mindless violence.
Yeah that's it :eyeroll:

Speaking of mindless violence...anyone pick up the latest Manga or comic book? No graphic violence there. No sir.

C

Cuyval Dar

Yeah that's it :eyeroll:

Speaking of mindless violence...anyone pick up the latest Manga or comic book? No graphic violence there. No sir.[/QUOTE]
I have never, and never will, read the Weeaboo garbage known as manga. And don't get me started on the financial sinkhole that are comic books.

I watch football. And football. And baseball, hockey, and formula 1. I have no need to apologize for that, and I refuse to apologize for that anyway.

I also play video games. No apologies for that either.

If either one lessens me in your eyes, that's a you problem and you can suck it. :finger:

North_Ranger

Staff member
Football is culture?

In America it's the pinnacle of culture.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Depressing, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

I weep for thee, but won't stoop to Idiocracy analogies.[/QUOTE]

Oh please, like graphic novels and cosplay is any better?[/QUOTE]

I was trying to be funny, Chaz ol' boy. I thought my use of "thee" made that clear. Maybe I should have added a :D in the back for good measure...

K

Kitty Sinatra

Wait . . . when people talk about American culture as regards sports - football and NASCAR in particular - the first thing that springs to mind is the Tailgate Party. It's a significant part of American Culture. It may not be a part of the culture you participate in, but to ignore that as part your country is to be smurfing blind.

Also, the worse thing about the Bills leaving Buffalo for Toronto will be the loss of the tailgate party.

ElJuski

Staff member
Whenever videogames have as rich of a tapestry as any of the literary canon, give me a call. I will wash your nerdy feet. They might have good stories, yes, but there really isn't any game out there that is exemplary of \"high culture\" status.
Shadow of the Colossus and Ico are the two most often cited examples of "Games as Art", probably because of the minimalistic nature of both and how both ask you to fill in the blanks of the story yourself. This results in a story that is mainly driven by what you imagine it to be, instead of what you are told it is. It looks like The Last Guardian is going to follow in both games footsteps.[/QUOTE]

The difference between "Shadow of the Colossus" and "The Tempest" being one is part of the literary canon, the other is a video game. Not saying that video games can be moving and transcendent; I'm saying, for the most part, they are not, and play their role in pop culture. The examples you cited would still be considered pop culture, as well. Perhaps one day...but I doubt it. The chasm between high culture and pop culture grows as more cultures and hobbies fill our entertainment needs.

Shadow of the Colossus and Ico are the two most often cited examples of "Games as Art", probably because of the minimalistic nature of both and how both ask you to fill in the blanks of the story yourself. This results in a story that is mainly driven by what you imagine it to be, instead of what you are told it is. It looks like The Last Guardian is going to follow in both games footsteps.[/QUOTE]

The difference between "Shadow of the Colossus" and "The Tempest" being one is part of the literary canon, the other is a video game. Not saying that video games can be moving and transcendent; I'm saying, for the most part, they are not, and play their role in pop culture. The examples you cited would still be considered pop culture, as well. Perhaps one day...but I doubt it. The chasm between high culture and pop culture grows as more cultures and hobbies fill our entertainment needs.[/QUOTE]

These are genre defying masterpieces that are almost universally held up as the perfect example of what a game should aspire to be. People in other fields of art have looked at them and sang their praises as bright spots in a genre otherwise filled with consumerism and tripe. But by your own words, those games can't be high culture explicitly because they are games? That seems awful petty of you. In a world where someone can place a toilet in an art gallery or throw feces on a picture of the Virgin Mary and have it be called art, it seems to me that the barrier for entry isn't as high as you claim it is.

Yes, 90% of games are definitely not what I'd consider enduring pieces of art, but by that same measure, 90% of movies and books are crap as well... and yet they don't ever have to explain themselves. This seems arbitrary and purely vindictive.

And don't use Shakespeare as an example of high art... even by his own time's standards, his ideas weren't original. He literally cribbed almost everything he wrote from other, earlier sources and only endures to this day because of misaimed fandom and because he had the ear of the English Royals in his time. He is quite frankly, undeserving of the praise he gets. Next time, use someone like Dante Alighieri as an example.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I know I'd rather watch the Buffalo Bills instead of Ol' Billy Shakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.