Export thread

News!

SeraRelm

I have none, but damn it's a slow day here today.

I guess some news would be "I'm obsessed with SWToR".

LittleSin

LittleSin

I went to the spa for my birthday.

It was my first massage.

It will NOT be my last.

SeraRelm

How happy was the ending?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Well, my massaeuse was an attractive blonde woman with double D's....but she was very professional.

I am very married.

So I just enjoyed the view and the touch.

*le sigh*

SeraRelm

*shakes head*

LittleSin

LittleSin

She was very rough.

I didn't mind.

My back feels excellent.

SeraRelm

I bet it does.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I helped a classmate with her English essay. If I'd graded it myself, she'd be looking at a C+. After fixing it up myself, using my awesome essay skills (I never got anything lower than a B+ during my undergrad). After going through it with an imaginary red pen, fixing sentences, paragraphs, citations, and general spelling/grammar, I think she's looking at a B+/A- paper.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

In a fit of not-really-productivity, I finished filling out my WithoutABox info for my film from last year, so I can submit it for the Toronto Animated Arts Festival International. I also updated my LinkedIn, and signed up for Twitter so I can hopefully generate some buzz for it.

ElJuski

ElJuski

sometimes I read you guys' day to day, and I wonder.

I wonder a bunch.

Today was a nice, easy day. Tomorrow I start putting in grades and continue to build two semesters of curriculum. And maybe eat Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. WELL SEE HOW THAT GOES

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

After reading this thread, is anyone else strangely turned on?

Nick fixin' papers just does it for me.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I spent today deciding on whether or not to go out. So I did and ate some amazing food, which was delicious. It was so delicious in fact that my body has decided I needed to taste it multiple times through the 2 or 3 times I've woken up to vomit. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

Steak and shrimp is awesome on the way out, bile and horseradish are amazingly complimentary.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

I gave in to peer pressure and got into a habit I thought I kicked along time ago. I resubbed my WoW account..... I feel dirty!!
(even worse....I signed up for the annual pass )

General Specific

General Specific

I ordered the Collector's edition of Soul Calibur 5 the other day from Best Buy's website. It is almost here and I cannot wait.

SeraRelm

I had a dream last night that I was at work and my old boss was working there. He told me the store was missing 15 million dollars worth of stuff and I was fired.

Dave

Dave

I got nothing.

SeraRelm

We know, Dave, we saw the paypal account. Gawd.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I got nothing.
Dave Tweet: "Still waiting for dinosaurs to die so others of my kind will evolve."

strawman

strawman

My code was working saturday evening when I stopped working. Now it's not working at all, and the debugger is just not being helpful.

Espy

Espy

Got my Mac Pro upgraded with a new graphics card (ati 4500) and 16 gigs of ram. The thing FLIES. I start me new editing job today and that will help so much.

SeraRelm

My boss got in an automobile collision last night.
Our tub has black stuff coming up from it that smells like wet mold with a hint of rust. It's horrible.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Did someone mention... the News?!
/

KCWM

KCWM

My wife is 8 weeks pregnant. We are happy as can be. We have the first sonogram and it was pretty awesome to see the little seahorse looking thing growing inside of her. We went baby stuff browsing with my mom, dad, and his wife to get a collective idea of what my wife and I wanted. While we didn't intend to buy anything given how early we are in the pregnancy, we ended up seeing some bedding stuff, a rug, and a diaper holder that we couldn't pass up on.

If I've already posted about the pregnancy on the board, I apologize.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I have a job interview tomorrow.

I'd film short documentaries for six months of the year if I got it and it looks preeettty promising.
Added at: 16:38
I gave in to peer pressure and got into a habit I thought I kicked along time ago. I resubbed my WoW account..... I feel dirty!!
(even worse....I signed up for the annual pass )
Aw man! You got that sweet mount didn't you? And Diablo 3!?

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

yes. not only did i pay to waste countless hours on wow, I also basically wasted 3 months of every spare second with diablo 3 when it comes out. If my addiction to D2 is any judge. On the bright side, the mount is freaking sweet!
Also I'm sure I will have bulk spare time being newly single. Who needs women when I can raid?

BananaHands

BananaHands

yes. not only did i pay to waste countless hours on wow, I also basically wasted 3 months of every spare second with diablo 3 when it comes out. If my addiction to D2 is any judge. On the bright side, the mount is freaking sweet!
Also I'm sure I will have bulk spare time being newly single. Who needs women when I can raid?
Well, at least Cataclysm made a few more things enjoyable at the beginning of the game.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

fuck yes. 1-23 in less than 6 hours. Hell I think I was 30 or 40 back in wrath before I even got my first gold. Now im sitting on 15. And mounts at lvl 20? Free pprentice riding skill? So much better.

In other news, I can't sleep, my emotions are going crazy, I'm slightly confused about important issues and I'm drunk. God help the peopl who are working tomorrow.

Gared

Gared

Did all of our laundry for the first time in what seems like months but which, in actuality, is really only a couple of weeks. Also, re-re-re-fixed-ish the dishwasher. Really wish the apartment complex would just replace the busted old piece of shit, but as that's rather unlikely, we're just going to replace the apartment complex.

We've nailed down our preferred city to move to now, and it looks like we're moving to Louisville. We're both pretty stoked to get the hell out of the NW after so long - but now comes all of the expensive stuff, like paying for movers and paying to fly to Louisville before our move out date so we can look around and make sure we want to live there and can find an apartment where we want to live. We've already checked out apartment complexes online, in one of the suburbs of the city, and there are some really nice places for a lot less than what we're paying right now. Also a benefit, since her company won't decrease her pay rate if she moves there, only her future CoL raise potentials, when we get there we'll be making 75% - 80% of the current median family salary on her checks alone, which should be enough to cover all of our bills and food. Of course, for a while at least, any money we save by living there will be spent on weekend trips to all sorts of places that are within 8 hours of Louisville. It's been far too long since we've had a good weekend trip, and that's mainly because a) we haven't had any money and b) we've already seen most of Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. We've been having to travel farther and farther away from home - really having to push the limits of the weekend - in order to see anything we haven't seen tens or hundreds of times.

Oh, and speaking of paying for movers, whatever you do, never - and I mean never EVER - look for a moving quote online and enter a valid phone number. All I wanted was a ballpark range to see what I could expect to need to save up. Since last Thursday I've had 36 phone calls and as many voice mails and close to 100 emails from moving companies (many of them the same company over and over ad infinitum) wanting to schedule times for a home review and estimate. I've since decided that any company that calls me more than twice doesn't get my business. How did spamming the hell out of someone become the number one way to get their business? It's not getting my business, it's just pissing me off! I've even tried telling some of them that I'm not interested right now, and they argue with me about whether or not I'm interested in hearing their sales pitch and refuse to hang up and then refuse to stop calling. Well guess what, united van lines? I'm not using you to move because your reps are assholes! Oh, and Allied Van Lines? Not using you either. Hell, they don't even have the best rates so far - ABF Freight does, and they have a partnership with someone who'll transport one of our two cars for us as well, and even with the extra expense of carrying the car, they still come in under the Allied and United prices.

Now we just have to start paring down all of our crap so that we don't have as much to move. At least we have several months to get it done in, but we need to get started and get a donation pile going so we can get one of the charity orgs to come pick up the stuff that's still good to use, and get rid of the rest of the crap that isn't even fit for donations (busted appliances, torn clothing, etc.). It took us 110 bankers boxes to move last time we moved, plus the beds, desks, computers, TV, gaming console (we had two then, now we have four), and kitchen appliances. That was about 3.5 years ago, and we've acquired more stuff since then. I'd really like to get us down under 100 boxes. Hell, it'd be really nice to be able to get us down to one ABF container instead of two. Unfortunately, I married a pack-rat.

SeraRelm

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's like the minor rant thread and the random crap thread had a baby and it grew up to be an accountant.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Got my Mac Pro upgraded with a new graphics card (ati 4500) and 16 gigs of ram. The thing FLIES. I start me new editing job today and that will help so much.
You mean nvidia Quadro FX 4500, right? Those are spendy. Great for CUDA, though.

--Patrick

SeraRelm

At least it didn't go into radio.

Welcome to the minor crap news thread!

GasBandit

GasBandit

At least it didn't go into radio.
Heyooooo!

SeraRelm

I stubbed my toe getting into the shower and it hurts like I broke it, but I don't think I broke it.

Jay

Jay

I just took a massive dump. It felt like giving birth.

This "news" update is brought to you by

Anti-SOPA

OgkwX.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

I stubbed my toe getting into the shower and it hurts like I broke it, but I don't think I broke it.
I actually stubbed my toe the worst I have ever stubbed a toe in my entire life just last month. When I fly, I just wear my adidas sandals to speed up the security process. I was getting on a little turboprop puddlejumper, and I stubbed my little toe on the metal staircase going up. It hurt like crazy but I figured my toe was just being a drama queen like it always is when stubbed, so I didn't mess with it until the flight was over.

Upon later inspection...
I found that the toenail had basically been lifted off like a chest lid and was only connected at the cuticle, and a chunk of flesh about a half-square cm was sliced off the tip of the toe. The nail still hasn't grown back all the way, there's just some scab left over the exposed undernail at the end.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

it hurts like I broke it
SIMILES?!

GasBandit

GasBandit

SIMILES?!

Actually, that isn't a simile. Here, "Like" is meaning "as if to indicate"

If she'd said it hurt like eight bitches in a bitch boat, that'd have been a simile.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

My bad.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You gonna pick up those cards and the table now?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I think I have a stress fracture in my left foot from working out too strenuously or poor technique. It hurts to shift gears, walk, stand, and hurts like balls to do foot fires or any sort of cardio. Le sigh.
The docs on campus are chumps, so I won't be seeing them; to pay them to tell me what I already know.

In other news, the weather has been fantastic this winter. No snow, no ice, mild afternoons. Woo!

Gared

Gared

Grue

Emrys

Emrys

I have a new job screwing up the scholarship applications for graduate students. Oh, the heady power of it all.

I also adopted two new doomweasels. The apocalypse starts soon.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

We've nailed down our preferred city to move to now, and it looks like we're moving to Louisville.
Louisville?! Oooh... you were so close. About 60 miles to the east...

In all honesty, great area to be in. First thing you'll have to learn is all the different ways you pronounce Louisville. I prefer to go with LOO-ee-ville. Some prefer LOO-ville. Then there's LOO-uh-ville. But its never ever ever ever ever.. LOO-wis-ville. Oh, and their college basketball team sucks ;)

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Moving stuff
So, I have to ask. Are you and your wife outdoorsy people? Cause, my wife and I love to camp, and hike. We are thinking of heading up to the NW for biotech jobs and for the mountains and trees and rivers.

I don't see how you can get bored with Pac-NW. Though, I have never lived there. Just wanted to know what you were bored with, and what you expect to find in Louisville. Social stuff or outdoors stuff?

Gared

Gared

So, I have to ask. Are you and your wife outdoorsy people? Cause, my wife and I love to camp, and hike. We are thinking of heading up to the NW for biotech jobs and for the mountains and trees and rivers.

I don't see how you can get bored with Pac-NW. Though, I have never lived there. Just wanted to know what you were bored with, and what you expect to find in Louisville. Social stuff or outdoors stuff?
The short answer is better cost of living and four distinct seasons every year. We are both outdoorsy people, though I have a lot more outdoor experience being an Eagle Scout than she does, and have hiked and camped and fished and enjoyed the beaches out here as much as we can without getting into extreme backpacking and mountain climbing (which we're not into). The other issue that we have with Washington is that while parts of her family are out here, none of my family is and she wants to get away from her mother. We figure 2600 miles ought to be far enough for a while, and at the same time we'll be 8 hours from my parents, 11 hours from my family in Iowa, and however many hours from my family in Pennsylvania.

Also, it's easy to get bored with the Pac-NW when you've been here for 31 years (for her) and for 25 years (for me). There's a lot of beautiful scenery and beautiful places to visit and hiking and camping and wilderness areas, but when you've been heavily involved in scouting it doesn't take long to see most of the accessible areas and quite a few of the less accessible areas.

But really, the biggest issue is cost of living. In the greater Seattle metroplex, we will never be able to afford a house. We will never be able to afford to retire. The cost of housing is so inflated over here, even at the deepest level of the crash, that if a house hasn't been repossessed and listed for sale by a bank, we can't even consider putting down a payment on it. In fact, it's so expensive for the two of us to live where we are, that we can barely afford to move out of where we are. Now, part of this is our fault. Neither of us has stellar credit, so our car payments and insurance each month are equivalent to one full paycheck. Now, living on two biotech paychecks, if you can get decent jobs with good companies, you should be fine. We have a good friend working the biotech field and he's doing just fine living over here.

And then there's the traffic. It would take way too long to explain why the traffic alone is enough reason to move out of state, so suffice to say, it's bad news man.

Unfortunately, after taking a good hard look at our finances for the upcoming 5 months we'd have to save for a cross-country move, there's just no way I can make the numbers work. So, we'll wait another year, find a comparably priced apartment complex closer to where I work so as to save fuel expenses, and plan on moving out of state next year. And maybe, just maybe, if we dedicate ourselves to the idea of being able to get out of this damn state, and really watch our spending, we can buy a house in KY within a year or two.

fade

fade

She was very rough.

I didn't mind.

My back feels excellent.
Go on.

Gared

Gared

Louisville?! Oooh... you were so close. About 60 miles to the east...

In all honesty, great area to be in. First thing you'll have to learn is all the different ways you pronounce Louisville. I prefer to go with LOO-ee-ville. Some prefer LOO-ville. Then there's LOO-uh-ville. But its never ever ever ever ever.. LOO-wis-ville. Oh, and their college basketball team sucks ;)
Heh. I already know how to pronounce Loo-uh-vuhl, tyvm.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

The short answer is better cost of living and four distinct seasons every year. We are both outdoorsy people, though I have a lot more outdoor experience being an Eagle Scout than she does, and have hiked and camped and fished and enjoyed the beaches out here as much as we can without getting into extreme backpacking and mountain climbing (which we're not into). The other issue that we have with Washington is that while parts of her family are out here, none of my family is and she wants to get away from her mother. We figure 2600 miles ought to be far enough for a while, and at the same time we'll be 8 hours from my parents, 11 hours from my family in Iowa, and however many hours from my family in Pennsylvania.

Also, it's easy to get bored with the Pac-NW when you've been here for 31 years (for her) and for 25 years (for me). There's a lot of beautiful scenery and beautiful places to visit and hiking and camping and wilderness areas, but when you've been heavily involved in scouting it doesn't take long to see most of the accessible areas and quite a few of the less accessible areas.

But really, the biggest issue is cost of living. In the greater Seattle metroplex, we will never be able to afford a house. We will never be able to afford to retire. The cost of housing is so inflated over here, even at the deepest level of the crash, that if a house hasn't been repossessed and listed for sale by a bank, we can't even consider putting down a payment on it. In fact, it's so expensive for the two of us to live where we are, that we can barely afford to move out of where we are. Now, part of this is our fault. Neither of us has stellar credit, so our car payments and insurance each month are equivalent to one full paycheck. Now, living on two biotech paychecks, if you can get decent jobs with good companies, you should be fine. We have a good friend working the biotech field and he's doing just fine living over here.

And then there's the traffic. It would take way too long to explain why the traffic alone is enough reason to move out of state, so suffice to say, it's bad news man.

Unfortunately, after taking a good hard look at our finances for the upcoming 5 months we'd have to save for a cross-country move, there's just no way I can make the numbers work. So, we'll wait another year, find a comparably priced apartment complex closer to where I work so as to save fuel expenses, and plan on moving out of state next year. And maybe, just maybe, if we dedicate ourselves to the idea of being able to get out of this damn state, and really watch our spending, we can buy a house in KY within a year or two.
Thanks for the feedback. I've got to wonder why folks stay in places like southern California, Pac-NW, Austin, NYC, when it sounds like cost of living is killer. I can't see myself retiring in those places, but we would like to live in one of those places for awhile, maybe an exit strategy is important to have.

Good luck! Make some goals on cutting out unnecessary things. I gave away/threw away so much crap when I got married. At first I felt bad about, but now I feel kind of free. I still have 6 boxes of comics and multiple boxes of collectibles that I need to sell/trash. Anything that had been sitting for 3 yrs w/o opening, I considered it expendable.

Gared

Gared

Yeah, we need to seriously pare down the amount of stuff we have. We currently have 5 distinct sets of dishes, complete with bowls, cups, coffee cups, plates, salad plates, and in some cases even smaller saucers. We also have 4 distinct sets of pots and pans, multiples of the same kitchen appliance (in most cases we don't use any of them), clothing that we haven't worn in years or sometimes decades, and probably 10 - 15 boxes of books that we haven't even seen since we moved into our current apartment. Then there are the 3 or 4 boxes full of VHS tapes, the DVD cases that we never use because all of our DVDs are in leather-bound zipper cases. And finally, there's the electronics... we have two PS2s, the Wii Fit Plus with the balance board, and an Xbox 360 with a Guitar Hero guitar. We have two TVs, one of which is a nice flat panel TV and the other which is a 19" TV with built in VCR that was already a couple years old when my wife moved into her college dorm in 1998, not to mention the two separate desktop computer towers in various states of disrepair, one of which is the "printer server" that we can't actually use because Win 7 and Win XP don't get along well when it comes to printer drivers, and the other is the computer that we want to replace our printer server with, so it can act as a printer server because it's Win 7.

Honestly, I think if Dave Barry and Patrick F. McManus teamed up to write a story about the worst non-hoarder pack-rats in America, they'd write it about us. And the worst part is - we don't want most of this stuff, we just really suck at getting to the Goodwill. Hell, most of this stuff we didn't even buy or ask for, it's just stuff that her mom didn't have any use for, but she can't bear the thought of throwing stuff away (or apparently, giving to charity) so she just passes it off to us.

SeraRelm

Had another weird dream last night. This time I was a martial artist living with my rich martial artist gf and we got in a fight that was epic, then she said some truly horribly hurtful things and we broke up. I felt very sad all day because of this dream.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Had another weird dream last night. This time I was a martial artist living with my rich martial artist gf and we got in a fight that was epic, then she said some truly horribly hurtful things and we broke up. I felt very sad all day because of this dream.
I hate it when bad feelings from dreams stick with you all day. I've had a number like that in recent months.

My dream from last night stuck with me all day, thankfully it was a good one. I dreamed I was on vacation when I ran into two of my favorite cosplayers, and we became fast friends. I was up early and one of the girls and I lounged on a couch talking, with her head on my chest, while we waited for her friend to get up for the day. It was just this comfortable friendship thing, and a warm fuzzy feeling has been hovering around me all day because of it.