Export thread

newest Wheel of Time is out

Shannow

Shannow

Anyone else picking this up/picked it up. Been reading the series for a decade now, and I will be snagging it this weekend to read on the few days at the new place while waiting for the internet to get hooked up next week.

Wyrminarrd

Hmmm, it seems to be getting good reviews so I might pick it up though perhaps I will wait for the paperback version or even wait until all three of the books are out.

I´m currently reading book 2 of Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy and I´ve read Elantris so I know the guy is a very good writer. Hopefully he will cut a bit down on the expositions that Jordan loved so much and focus more on advancing the plot.

Dave

Dave

Mine should be here in the mail today or tomorrow. I preordered it ages ago.

Covar

Covar

This explains where my friend disappeared to.

Shannow

Shannow

Hmmm, it seems to be getting good reviews so I might pick it up though perhaps I will wait for the paperback version or even wait until all three of the books are out.

I´m currently reading book 2 of Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy and I´ve read Elantris so I know the guy is a very good writer. Hopefully he will cut a bit down on the expositions that Jordan loved so much and focus more on advancing the plot.

Doubtful, considering what he was basing it off of, and the fact that it has been turned into 3 books instead of 1.

Still, I cannot wait to get my hands on it. I wonder if it was simultaneously released in audio as well, so I can listen to it here at work. They have used the same 2 readers for the entire series of books for audio, and those two are absolutely fantastic for it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Confession:

I've never read even a premise on what this series is.

Shannow

Shannow

well then, this thread is not for you.:cool:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I wasn't being negative, was almost hoping to be enlightened a bit.

Dave

Dave

There's so much going on, but the basis is:

Bad guy wants to break out of his prison and destroy everything. Kid is taxed to be The Chosen One (the Dragon Reborn) and stop him.

The rest is getting from point A to point B with 11 books of fluff in the middle.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Medieval, Pure Fantasy or what kind of setting?

Jake

Jake

I wasn't being negative, was almost hoping to be enlightened a bit.
Starts out as great high fantasy (though the whole "chosen one" theme has been done to death), then fizzles into the same old shit over and over for thousands upon thousands of pages. I don't recommend it. I think I gave up around book six. Too bad, it could have been truly epic if it was 4-5 books.

Shannow

Shannow

Started to pick back up about 8 or so. I actually have enjoyed it all the way throguh, though Jake is right, it gets slow in the middle books.

As for a plot synopsis, go to wiki, sheg. There is a shit ton going on, and too much to explain. But yes, High Fantasy.

Jake

Jake

There is a shit ton going on, and too much to explain.
I think it was book seven I opened, realized I had no idea what was going on and didn't care what happened to these characters and had to just put it down and walk away.

Dave

Dave

Books 6 & 7 are the biggest books I've ever read where nothing happened.

They aren't that bad as a whole, but Jordan had a tendency to reuse the same expressions over and over. Yes, I get that the male side of the Force :)D) is cold and a battle to use while the female side is warm and you have to surrender yourself to it. (No misogynistic imagery there, huh?)

We get that all women are beautiful. ALL women. I'm convinced the books are set in the same universe as "Married With Children" in that all women there are hotties. Even the old ones have a "timeless beauty". All women cross their arms under their breasts and smooth their skirts a lot.

Not gonna lie, the books have flaws. But taken as a whole it's a pretty good read.

Shannow

Shannow

To each their own. The series has its faults, a lot of them. But what it does right, it does extremely well. The action sequesnces and battles with the power are greatly done. And I love reading anything with the Shadow and the Forsaken.

Edit: Also...woot, looks like the audio was also released, snagging a torrent of it now. Hopefulyl not fake. Will have something to listen to here at work and while moving until I can go buy the book this weekend!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Started to pick back up about 8 or so. I actually have enjoyed it all the way throguh, though Jake is right, it gets slow in the middle books.

As for a plot synopsis, go to wiki, sheg. There is a shit ton going on, and too much to explain. But yes, High Fantasy.
Yeah, thing is, wiki's are opinionless (supposed to be anyway).

Another confession: I've never read the Drizzt Salvatore series either....

Shannow

Shannow

Yeah, thing is, wiki's are opinionless (supposed to be anyway).

Another confession: I've never read the Drizzt Salvatore series either....[/QUOTE]

Well, this is a love it or hate it series. I'd suggest taking a look into what it is about, and seeing if its for you. personally, I love it, and I read a lot of fantasy and have since I have been like 10. This is one of my favorites. Slow books plodding along or otherwise. Personally, I say get yourself Eye of the World, and give it a try.

If you want, I can point you towards the audios instead, but because the books are long, so are the readings. But there are two readers, one for when it is from a male perspective, the other from a female. Both are great, and make the audio even better.

Iaculus

Personally, I preferred A Song of Ice and Fire and The Malazan Book of the Fallen as far as epic fantasy went. One for the characterisation, the other for the plot.

The Wheel of Time collapsed under its own weight of characters and subplots, and almost every single female character was an absolute bitch. I kid you not.

Oh, and did he have to put in quite so many gratuitous references to breasts and spanking?

Shannow

Shannow

I will have to retry a Song of Ice and Fire. I just could not ge into it a few years ago when I tried.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The last series I read through were the Dragonlance series of books revolving around the main crew. Dragons, the Sextant, and the Brother's sagas.

Oh, and did he have to put in quite so many gratuitous references to breasts and spanking?
I think I just got interested. :eek:

Shannow

Shannow

The last series I read through were the Dragonlance series of books revolving around the main crew. Dragons, the Sextant, and the Brother's sagas.
Wow...well, there is a shit ton better stuff out there.

You will be dissapointed somewhat.

Dave

Dave

It's not fair to tell her to pick up and judge the series on the first book. The first book is WONDERFUL and kinda goes in spurts after that.

chakz

I will have to retry a Song of Ice and Fire. I just could not ge into it a few years ago when I tried.

Prepare for your emotions to be abused.

Heavily abused.

Also: Try to get over the incest. Its weird at first but it kind of resolves itself in and interesting way.

Sheg could probably get into this. It really slows down in the middle, but awesome stuff started happening again towards the end, which makes it even more sad that Jordon died.

I'm suprised no one mentioned the chains and collars to her yet.

strawman

strawman

"I will have to retry a kicking myself in the teeth. I just could not get into it a few years ago when I tried."

I get what you mean, but it's funny because "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

-Adam

Wyrminarrd

I discovered the Wheel of Time series at my Library when the first six books were out and I thought that the series was only six books. I was so excited to read the sixth book but about half way through I realized that Jordan couldn't possibly finish the story in the remaining pages of the book :(

The frustrating thing about reading the rest of the series has been that the books come out 1-2 years apart from each other so I´ve long since forgotten most of what happened in books 2-8. Song of Ice and Fire suffers from this as well, it's to big to remember everything that was going on when 3-4 years pass between reading about a set of characters. Malazen book of the fallen also has this problem but since he often starts with new characters it makes things easier plus those books seem to come out a lot faster.

Sometimes I wonder why I read series that aren't finished, there are many books out there that I could read while the authors finish their series.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Wait, the author is dead, and there are new books coming out?

Also, I'm not really that good with "unfinished" series of books, simply because when a new one comes out, I end up trying to re-read the first books just to get "back up to speed".

Iaculus

I discovered the Wheel of Time series at my Library when the first six books were out and I thought that the series was only six books. I was so excited to read the sixth book but about half way through I realized that Jordan couldn't possibly finish the story in the remaining pages of the book :(

The frustrating thing about reading the rest of the series has been that the books come out 1-2 years apart from each other so I´ve long since forgotten most of what happened in books 2-8. Song of Ice and Fire suffers from this as well, it's to big to remember everything that was going on when 3-4 years pass between reading about a set of characters. Malazen book of the fallen also has this problem but since he often starts with new characters it makes things easier plus those books seem to come out a lot faster.

Sometimes I wonder why I read series that aren't finished, there are many books out there that I could read while the authors finish their series.
Plus, Erikson seems to have a much better idea of where he's taking Malazan. There's a lot of complicated stuff going on, but at least there's an underlying direction to it.

Oh, and Stein? ASOIAF is indeed like being kicked repeatedly in the teeth... but in an enjoyable manner.

The Red Wedding... holy shit.

Shannow

Shannow

Wait, the author is dead, and there are new books coming out?

Also, I'm not really that good with "unfinished" series of books, simply because when a new one comes out, I end up trying to re-read the first books just to get "back up to speed".
Yes, he died early last year. Long battle with cancer. But the man took insane notes, and even wrote a bunch of the final book, and worked closely with his wife. She chose the new author, and is working with him, and he is working with Jordan's notes.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

"I will have to retry a kicking myself in the teeth. I just could not get into it a few years ago when I tried."

I get what you mean, but it's funny because "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

-Adam[/QUOTE]

yeah, thats pretty much what I got out of it. But I think I may give it another go around. I just saw the first book in my closet as I was packing more last night.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So it's finally coming to a conclusion?

Shannow

Shannow

yes, final book divided to 3 due to size and time. most likely 1 a year according to sanderson, though he says it may be less than that.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So in the next 3years give or take?

Shannow

Shannow

2, if that. He was saying the next may even be out sometime mid next year. http://www.brandonsanderson.com/

He is about 70% done with the second one of the 3 already

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Again, I'd hate to get into something, just to wait a year or two to finish it.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I might pick it up next year as a mass-market paperback when I visit my folks for Christmas.

But there's no way I'm picking up that thing at hardcover prices, even the relatively depressed prices on Amazon.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Ooooh, it comes in hardcover?

Shannow

Shannow

Most books come in hardcover, and then, months later, get released in paperback.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Dragonlance and the Dragons of Pern series didn't....

Dave

Dave

This will scare all of you.

Each time a new book came out I've reread the entire series.

I do that with each series I read. Harry Potter, The Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan, etc. I've read Eye of the World a LOT.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yeah Dave, I do that as well, mostly because I like to have every little detail fresh in my head when reading the new novel.

Problem is, I don't have that kind of discipline anymore, and prefer to have an entire series to read before plunging in.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

If you want to read bad fiction with spankings, try John Norman
:zoid:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The amusing thing is, I used to read my sister's romance novels when I younger, skipping over the "descriptive" parts of the male sentences and really let my imagination run wild with the female ones. So yeah, bad fiction and me go wayyyy back.

Shannow

Shannow

Dragonlance and the Dragons of Pern series didn't....

Some of them actually did.

And anywhoo, the dragonlance ones i do not really put into true...you know what, I am not getting into that. Needless to say, I wasted a lot of time reading a shit ton of those damn books when I was younger.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

I do that with each series I read. Harry Potter, The Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan, etc. I've read Eye of the World a LOT.
Like I said in the other thread, I am going back through all of WoT right now. I have a couple times over the years when a new one came out.

Rememebr my reaction to LICD in the podcast this past weekend, Dave? How I hated Sohmers rants and "wisdoms?" His post today about Wheel of Time is actually spot on to me. It really does bring me back when I re-read it or read a new one. heh, I still pop in Days of the New when i first read each book. One of their albums had jsut come back when I first got EotW in as a freshman in college, and I always remmeber listening to it in the backround at the time while the snow fell outside. Great memories of happy times.

Espy

Espy

There is a shit ton going on, and too much to explain.
I think it was book seven I opened, realized I had no idea what was going on and didn't care what happened to these characters and had to just put it down and walk away.[/QUOTE]

DITTO. I loved the series then at a certain point it's just WORDSWORDSWORDSDRAMAWORDSWORDSILOVEYOUYOULOVEHEROMGWORDSWORDSREALLYSHORTFIGHTWORDSWORDSWORDSROMANCE and then 10 thousand words later you are done.

Shannow

Shannow

Meh, like I said...to me, it picked back up in the last couple books, and is moving along quite nicely.

Wyrminarrd

Amazing, I could never find the time to re-read all those series every time a new book comes out. There always seems to be something new that I could be reading instead (Currently have around 10 books waiting in line to be read)

Though maybe I will make the time at some point and re-read some of the WoT series, the first books really were great.

Rubicon

B

We get that all women are beautiful. ALL women. I'm convinced the books are set in the same universe as "Married With Children" in that all women there are hotties. Even the old ones have a "timeless beauty". All women cross their arms under their breasts and smooth their skirts a lot.
This. x10000

It's a good story, overall, but good lord can Jordan get long winded with how he describes every.single.time an Aes Sedai decides to straigthen her hair or smooth out her dress.. Like paragraphs full of this stuff in the middle of plot. After book 3 or 4 you learn to just skin over those parts, seriously.

However, its not half bad. The battle of Dumai Wells was friggin EPIC. Sure, its some cliche fantasy but the way they end up using the Male Half of the Source is pretty friggin sweet at times.

Iaculus

B

This. x10000

It's a good story, overall, but good lord can Jordan get long winded with how he describes every.single.time an Aes Sedai decides to straigthen her hair or smooth out her dress.. Like paragraphs full of this stuff in the middle of plot. After book 3 or 4 you learn to just skin over those parts, seriously.

However, its not half bad. The battle of Dumai Wells was friggin EPIC. Sure, its some cliche fantasy but the way they end up using the Male Half of the Source is pretty friggin sweet at times.[/QUOTE]

Dude, give the Malazan series a go. I think you'd enjoy it. WoT may have Asha'man exploding people, but The Malazan Book of the Fallen has someone attempting to assassinate a near-godlike sorcerer-king by ramming a flying mountain into his capital city. While riding it.

And it only gets crazier from there.

Shannow

Shannow

B

This. x10000

However, its not half bad. The battle of Dumai Wells was friggin EPIC. Sure, its some cliche fantasy but the way they end up using the Male Half of the Source is pretty friggin sweet at times.[/QUOTE]

pretty much this.

Dave

Dave

Got my copy in the mail today. Pages 33-64 are not there. I'm missing the end of the prologue, the entire first chapter and some of the second.

Tor must have been in a hurry to get this one out, huh?

Espy

Espy

Got my copy in the mail today. Pages 33-64 are not there. I'm missing the end of the prologue, the entire first chapter and some of the second.

Tor must have been in a hurry to get this one out, huh?
Are you serious? LOL.

Dave

Dave

Amazon is no longer selling it because of "issues with their inventory".

http://www.amazon.com/Gathering-Sto...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257042401&sr=8-1

And I'm glad my pain and wasted money amused you, Espy!

Espy

Espy

Amazon is no longer selling it because of \"issues with their inventory\".

http://www.amazon.com/Gathering-Sto...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257042401&sr=8-1

And I'm glad my pain and wasted money amused you, Espy!
Sorry, no it was your comment about rushing it that had me laughing. Maybe it will be worth some money though huh?

Dave

Dave

MUCH better book than the last few. MUCH better!

Espy

Espy

Really? Does it have anything to do with the new writer do you think?

Kitty Sinatra

I'm coming in here to say I've never read any of these Wheel of Time books, have no inclination to do so, and will never read them except under threat of torture.

Good day, everyone.

Actually, I just really don't care for fantasy books much, and I've found I prefer tightly written books that fall under 400 pages. Series really aren't for me - I learned that around book 5 of the Dark Tower stuff.

Dave

Dave

If a book is not more than 400 pages it's not worth it for me to buy. I go through it too fast.

Terrik

Terrik

Yeah im the same way. I like a book to last me a while, which is why Im such a fan of the Martin series and WH40K omnibuses

Kitty Sinatra

Yeah, all my favorites are under 400. Well under in most cases

The Fire Dwellers: 320
Day of the Triffids: 304
Man Crazy: 288
Starship Troopers: 272
My Present Age: 264

Yeah, for some reason, I googled the page count on all of these. Also, I'm guessing quite a bit of that page count for the Fire Dwellers (which is not sci-fi) includes the introduction and afterword since the book is by one of Canada's most significant authors . . . and probably our most significant dead author (although it's probably her least significant book; it just happens to be the one that really hooked me onto Margaret Laurence)

Dave

Dave

Really? Does it have anything to do with the new writer do you think?[/QUOTE]

Yes. There's not as much exposition prose and he tends to get to the point more quickly. Much more concise and less fluff. Shit's actually happening and you give a shit about what's happening to the characters again.

Espy

Espy

NICE! If I thought I could get through the last 4 or 5 I would probably read it. :(

Ah... maybe someday when I'm out of grad school and really bored...

Dave

Dave

NICE! If I thought I could get through the last 4 or 5 I would probably read it. :(

Ah... maybe someday when I'm out of grad school and really bored...
I'm kinda pissed about it. There's 766 pages (if they were all there) and I'm on page 537. I should finish it tonight.

Why am I pissed? I signed up for NaNoWriMo and I have yet to write a word due to my reading this book. I'm a damned slacker!

Shannow

Shannow

Listened to a bunch of it while working and moving, etc. Great stuff so far. Sanderson is doing a fantastic job with it.

Espy

Espy

If I haven't read anything since book 7 or 8 and I picked this up would I be really lost?

Dave

Dave

If I haven't read anything since book 7 or 8 and I picked this up would I be really lost?
Yes.

Espy

Espy

Dang, I figured since in the last book I read the plot didn't advance one bit that all I would miss would be 4000 pages of descriptions of skinny women, fat women and women in between with rosebud lips.

Well maybe someday I will get around to it...

Dave

Dave

The way this book is shaping up it might be worth it. I'm giving a shit about the characters again!

Espy

Espy

Maybe there is a good wiki summary of the other books I could find... hmmm.....

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maybe there is a good wiki summary of the other books I could find... hmmm.....
http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/A_beginning

:google:

Dave

Dave

I will finish this book tonight. A spoiler filled report should come soonish.

Rubicon

I still say A Song of Ice and Fire is the best fantasy series, ever. I can see re-reading that with each new book like Dave does.

Shannow

Shannow

Hahahahaha, we could podcast it next week dave, thouh I doubt there are that many that would care about us talking of Wheel of Time for an hour.

Dave

Dave

Hahahahaha, we could podcast it next week dave, thouh I doubt there are that many that would care about us talking of Wheel of Time for an hour.
It's cute that you think they care now!

Shannow

Shannow

It's cute that you think they care now![/QUOTE]

Good point. WoT cast, mixed in with forum news next week, then?

Dave

Dave

It's cute that you think they care now![/quote]

Good point. WoT cast, mixed in with forum news next week, then?[/QUOTE]

Sure! Sunday noon good for you?

Shannow

Shannow

Depending on if the family is coming over for dinner and to see the new place or not. I will let you know, but it should be fine...noon eastern or central (since I know you are in the non american time zone)

Dave

Dave

CST, as always.

Shannow

Shannow

You should get on civilized time, like us here in New York

Dave

Dave

East coast bastards.

Shannow

Shannow

Better human beings.

Fixed.

I will try to make sure I have it finished by the time I get tio sunday. Worst case, we got 11 other books and the prequal we can talk about.

Or the pc game.

...which I own.

Dave

Dave

I do not own the game. I'm not an East coast bastard OR a total dweeb.

Shannow

Shannow

Just a sad, sad lonely old man

Dave

Dave

Yes. :(

Shannow

Shannow

Toughen up, bucko! We wont have none of this here manbawwin crap! You gonna act like a real man!

Shannow

Shannow

We still on for this sunday, then?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm guessing that was a no.

Dave

Dave

It's a yes. I just did it in PMs instead of here.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

A LIKELY STORY!

Oddbot

Books 6 & 7 are the biggest books I've ever read where nothing happened.
I felt this way about a good portion of The latest A Song of Ice and Fire book, a Feast For Crows (mostly concerning all those Dorne and Breanne chapters) and I really hope the series doesn't fall into the same pitfall as Jordan's.

elph

Who would've thought it took the death of the man to get the WoT series back on track? I really hope it doesn't take that for Martin's Ice & Fire...

I read through the first.. 9 books in whole. I somehow just stopped caring about 6 chapters left in the 10th book. I just felt it was going no where and wished the man dead for his milking the cash cow to death. When he did a prequel book instead of moving the story forward, I really stopped caring.

Maybe someday I'll go back and reread them all. It's interesting how he ties in all these old established ideas into trying to make them his own.

chakz

Just finished it. Good grief that was sastisfying.

That is all.

Dave

Dave

Just finished it. Good grief that was sastisfying.

That is all.
Go here and tell me what you thought specifically.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Who would've thought it took the death of the man to get the WoT series back on track? I really hope it doesn't take that for Martin's Ice & Fire...

I read through the first.. 9 books in whole. I somehow just stopped caring about 6 chapters left in the 10th book. I just felt it was going no where and wished the man dead for his milking the cash cow to death. When he did a prequel book instead of moving the story forward, I really stopped caring.

Maybe someday I'll go back and reread them all. It's interesting how he ties in all these old established ideas into trying to make them his own.

Somewhere around book 6 or 7 it really started going downhill, getting worse and worse. You can tell in book 11 though he realized he was dying and started moving things along again, instead of making 500 word descriptions of exactly what every person was wearing down to the lace embroidery with inlaid gold and pearl sequins with silver thread running up the left seam to the shoulder where a brooch of silver and turqoise pinned a lily to the blah blah blah blah straightened her dress blah blah blah wish Matt was here, he knows how to talk to women blah blah blah channeling the power can reheat a mug of wine but not heat a brick so the Aes Sedai have to freeze in their tents blah blah blah.

So, I guess I'll probably read the last book just to have some damned closure, but Jordan was a goddamned HACK. He streched what should have been a single book out into 4 or 5.