3. Not die. (I do this one every year)

I really hope I don't fail that last one! *crosses fingers*

Those are good resolutions. I may copy them, more or less:

1. Lose 15 kg or more.
2. Finish My Master's Tesis
3 Not die... AGAIN.

J

JCM

I'm kinda fucked today, as I have a habit of having a huge list of stuff to do (last year's list, taken from my orkut profile, for example)-
To do in 2009
[ 00% ] Find medium-height leather red All Stars in size 41
[100%] Participate in the 2009 CTJ TEFL Seminar in Brasilia
[100%] Visit Buenos Aires
[100%] Visit Campos do Jordão
[100%] Stop drinking alcoholic drinks
[100%] Sleep 8 hours a day
[100%] Practice Yoga thrice a week
[100%] Read 1 book a week
[100%] Watch a movies a day
[100%] Finish 1 game a week
[100%] Read 1 Malay book a month
[ 95% ] Read the whole Quran
[ 15% ] Read the whole Bible
[ 15% ] Read the whole book of Mormon
[ 70% ] Finish book 3 and 4 of my Spanish course
[ 40% ] Finish book 2 (French course)
[100%] Finish theology course
[100%] Watch every X-files episode
[100%] Watch every Young Indiana Jones Chronicles episode
[ 00% ] Donate blood again
[ 50% ] Double my monthly income
[ 45% ] Save money to visit Malaysia
[ 90% ] Live together with Luiza
[100%] Make this year worth twice as much as last year

Books to read in 2009
"Tintenherz" by Cornelia Funke
"¿Y yo qué puedo hacer? " by Jesús Cisneros
"Mostly Harmless Econometrics: An Empiricist's Companion" by Angrist, JD and Pischke
"Blackwood Farm" by Anne Rice
"The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown
"Schindler's Ark" by Thomas Keneally
"The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink
"The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman
"The Dream Catchers" by Neil Gaiman
"Stardust" by Neil Gaiman
"A Princess of Landover" by Terry Brooks
"Pluto" by Naoki Urasawa
"Blood and Rage" by Michael Burleigh
"20th Century Boys" by Naoki Urasawa
"That Does It : Desperate Reflections on American Culture"
by Peter Heinegg
"The Associate" by John Grisham
"A Drifting Life" by Yoshihiro Tatsumi
"Strain" by Guillerme DelToro
"A thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hussaini
"The Kindly Ones" by Jonathan Littell
"مهمان مامان" by هوشنگ مرادی کرمانی
"The Caryatids" by Bruce Sterling
"Nixonland : The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America" by Rick Perlstein

Movies to watch in 2009-
Watchmen
The Deaths of Ian Stone
The Reader
Inkheart
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex
Knowing
The 4 Indiana Jones movies
The Taking of Pelham 123
Monsters vs. Aliens
The Road
The Lovely Bones
Nine
ואלס עם באשיר‎ - Vals Im Bashir
The Informant
Chê : El Argentino Part 1 & 2
Pixar´s UP
Kids
おくりびと, Okuribito
Lie to me
Public Enemies
20世紀少年, Nijusseiki Shōnen
Transformers:The Revenge of the fallen
Terminator:Salvation
Bruno
Xmen Origins:Wolverine

Games to play in 2009-
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
Madworld (Wii)
Dead Space Extraction (Wii)
The House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii)
Little Big Planet (PS3)
Assasin's Creed 2 (PS3)
Killzone 2 (PS3)
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (ds)
Lego Indiana Jones 2 (ds)
Shin Megami Tensei :Devil Survivor
GTAChinatown Wars (ds)
DragonQuest IV (ds)
Dragonquest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (ds)
Dark Spire (ds)
Jagged Alliance (ds)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (ds)
Phantasy Star Zero (ds)
Avalon Code (ds)
Syphon Filter:Logan's Shadow (PSP)
Xmen Origins:Wolverine (PSP)
Star Wars Battlefront: Rogue Squadron (PSP)
Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron (PSP)
SoulcaliburIV: Broken Destiny (PSP)
Tekken 6 (PSP)
Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (PSP)
Little Big Planet (PSP)
Persona (PSP)
Resistance: Retribution (PSP)
Assassins Creed (PSP)

So probably today I'll spend the whole day making next year's list, and I'll need some suggestions on movies, books, games and stuff to learn.

Any suggestions?

Not die in judo practice
Join the SCA after my birthday
Find a cheap 2nd hand flute and learn how to play it
What's your price range? What kind of flute are you looking for? Boehm? Simple system? irish?
I can recommend a number of decent sources. if you're looking for a folk flute

I have never really understood/liked the thought of making new years resolutions. To me it just doesn't make any sense. It's not like since it's a new year you are magically going to change. If you're really desperate to change than you don't need to wait till the new year to do it you can decide to change your life whenever. And the mere fact that you decide to wait to the new year is either a sign you really don;t want to change or it states that your looking for an excuse to keep doing what you know you shouldn't be doing.

oh and here I feel obligated to post this

Attachments

K

Kitty Sinatra

My Resolutions:

Post less
Eat out less
Drink less
Work out less. er, more.

Cajungal

Staff member
-continue to eat healthier and exercise
-write more
-keep reading the books on my list
-have less of a temper

J

JCM

I have never really understood/liked the thought of making new years resolutions. To me it just doesn't make any sense. It's not like since it's a new year you are magically going to change. If you're really desperate to change than you don't need to wait till the new year to do it you can decide to change your life whenever. And the mere fact that you decide to wait to the new year is either a sign you really don;t want to change or it states that your looking for an excuse to keep doing what you know you shouldn't be doing.

I used to think that way when I was 9, but then in the cub scouts I read about a guy called John Goddard, who used to say that "anything you want to do in the future not written and planned is just a dream". This is his life list, BTW-
http://www.johngoddard.info/life_list.htm

That guy, at 15, made a list of what he wanted to do in life, and fucking hell did more than maybe all of us put together, so I got into the habit of making daily, yearly and a life list, which got me to make better use of my years.

Dont make the traditional new year's resolution. Write down what you want to do, put it in a place that everyone can see it and bug you should you forget it, and do it.

I used to think that way when I was 9, but then in the cub scouts I read about a guy called John Goddard, who used to say that "anything you want to do in the future not written and planned is just a dream". This is his life list, BTW-
http://www.johngoddard.info/life_list.htm

That guy, at 15, made a list of what he wanted to do in life, and fucking hell did more than maybe all of us put together, so I got into the habit of making daily, yearly and a life list, which got me to make better use of my years.

Dont make the traditional new year's resolution. Write down what you want to do, put it in a place that everyone can see it and bug you should you forget it, and do it.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying making resolutions is bad I was just saying that you shouldn't wait for the new years to decide to change. If you want somethign vhanged in your life by golly do it right than and their don't wait for some arbitrary date on a calender to change.

J

JCM

I wasn't saying making resolutions is bad I was just saying that you shouldn't wait for the new years to decide to change. If you want somethign vhanged in your life by golly do it right than and their don't wait for some arbitrary date on a calender to change.
Most of us here are working adults with jobs, which makes the year-end vacation the best time to look back the past year, check one's bank acount, pay off debts and basically, rest and prepare oneself mentally for next year.

When you write a list what to do in a day, you write it the night before, or in the morning when you get up. Same applies to planning one's year.

fade

Staff member
I really ought to focus on my research more. I'm kind of burned out on it, to be truthful. I really need to be a more focused scientist. I blame growing up intellectually gifted with no proper stimuli. I learned quickly how to make it look like I was busy, but really be goofing off, only to finish at the last minute. The counterintuitive end result is that I've done less than my colleagues. I like that post about Goddard. I need to do that. I have to focus.

Cajungal

Staff member
I resolve to learn more about history so that I can debate with the fellow's older brother and wife.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I resolve to learn more about history so that I can debate with the fellow's older brother and wife.
Oh dear. From what you've said, I think you'll be so much happier ignoring their crazy. Just nod and change the subject to what y'all can cook for a cute little zombie pirate kitten to make him purr.

Unless you see them gaining power to act on their views, in which case you'd be duty-bound to defeat their crazy.

I hereby resolve to lose 50 lbs, get back into the Marine Corps, and provide a comfortable home for my wife and child, whomsoever said child will end up being. *chuckles*

I also resolve to learn Krav Maga, start writing again, and learn Spanish.

Sounds ambitious enough, right? *chuckles*

Cajungal

Staff member
Oh dear. From what you've said, I think you'll be so much happier ignoring their crazy. Just nod and change the subject to what y'all can cook for a cute little zombie pirate kitten to make him purr.

Unless you see them gaining power to act on their views, in which case you'd be duty-bound to defeat their crazy.[/QUOTE]

Probably true, heheh. Last night I just walked off with Jake and we ate lemon pie and shook our heads. But I've defeated his brother in a debate before, and it's really really satisfying.

Cajungal

Staff member
Oh man, good luck with that. We might have to create a whole new rant thread just for you on especially roughdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.