New Picture Thread

I should mention this strange little gem from our trip: in our hotel suite, there is a window in the master bedroom that looks into the master bathroom. For...reasons?
bathroom.jpg

I had the same thing in the hotel we stayed at in NYC last year. I didn't quite get it either. Makes it easier for damp and thus mold to get into the bedroom?

Wait. Y'all don't have a window between the master bath and bedroom at home?? That's quite common in Oklahoma. We call it the boudreaux bay window. How else do you know if the toilet is free?

Door closed = occupied
Door open = free

Is this... is this not a universal convention?
Yes, and no. It is the rule in my house, and most of the people that i know. But some people, I don't know why, don't like for the bathroom door be be left open. Have a couple of relatives in my wife's family that insist on closing the bathroom door when they leave the bathroom, anywhere that they go, know for a fact that they were not raised that way. Family gathering, 50+ people in a home, 2 bathrooms, they keep closing the door to the bathroom, when nobody is in there. Will get up from where they are sitting, go to the door and close it. Maddening.

Nope, no pets, and they do this even at other family member's houses when the gathering is there. It's just weird.
My family, and everyone I know, close the bathroom door all the time. The reasoning is twofold, one is the bathroom is considered unsightly, and you don't want guests in your home randomly staring at a toilet, and two is to keep offensive smells contained. Not just the ones you're think of, but also things like perfume, hairspray, and various other things people apply in there.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've had pets since I was a teenager... we've never bothered closing the bathroom door unless we're in it... and sometimes not even then, in the case of my Dad.

I've had pets since I was a teenager... we've never bothered closing the bathroom door unless we're in it... and sometimes not even then, in the case of my Dad.
Yeah, this. My dad would sometimes be stymied because while he'd be using the bog, one of the cats would show up and decide that his boxers, spanning between his ankles, would make a mighty fine hammock.

We keep the full bathroom door's closed, because our cats have a love/hate relationship with the bathtub and its curtains.

The half bathroom is where we keep one of the litterboxes, so obviously it stays open :p

Yeah, y'know....Knocking on a door isn't exactly hard. Also, you know, locking a bathroom door, and having either an "occupied/free" sign outside, or just a red/green indicator on the lock. We keep bathroom doors closed as well, for reasons listed above. My girlfriend's family doesn't, and it weirds me out completely. God dammit, I'm trying to have a shit in peace, don't just waltz in here to "quickly" spray on some deodorant, mother-in-law.

Some pictures from our trip. The weather was very windy and a bit rainy, particularly when we went more to the northwestern side of the island. The worst thing about Maui is that the radio stations SUCK. If you don't like reggae, Hawaiian, or urban contemporary music then you are SOL.

The view from our condo.
IMG_1250.jpg

Saw this little guy when we went to the Kealia Pond National Wildlife Refuge. I also took a lot of bird pictures there.
IMG_1267.jpg

A view of Haleakala from across Maalaea Bay.
IMG_1344.jpg

Noah at the Dragon's Teeth.
IMG_1350.jpg

A view of Kapalua and the west Maui forest reserve at Pu'u Kukui from the Dragon's Teeth.
IMG_1401.jpg

Molokini, which is a crescent-shaped remnant of a volcanic crater.
IMG_1445.jpg

Maluaka beach
IMG_1448.jpg

Last edited: