New Picture Thread

fade

Staff member
Like I said, I was disappointed the day it dawned on me that that was a shadow in his avatar and not the most amazing mutton chops.

It looks like you had a good time in NY. How was the ice cream? I've had lychee shave ice and yogurt since moving here (and the actual fruit, too). It's yumilicious!
It's one of my favorite places to grab ice cream. They make an almond cookie flavor I love and can't find anywhere else. The lychee was yummy as well! Chad will have to add his 2 cents if he gets a chance.

We can get fresh lychees at our local Chinese grocery store. They are tasty. They also sell durian! :Leyla: I've had durian ice cream, but never the raw fruit. I'll have to try it someday.

What I can't find in local stores is chiku/zapota. I am sure the west coast has them. They're native to Mexico. They're yummy little buggers.

We can get fresh lychees at our local Chinese grocery store. They are tasty. They also sell durian! :Leyla: I've had durian ice cream, but never the raw fruit. I'll have to try it someday.

What I can't find in local stores is chiku/zapota. I am sure the west coast has them. They're native to Mexico. They're yummy little buggers.
No. Do not try durian. It is vile. It is horrible. It is evil.

I am convinced durian is not actually a fruit. I am convinced someone skinned a dead rat that'd been sitting in the sun for a week, wrapped it in a random fruit peel they dug out of a dumpster, and served it, calling it "durian", which is apparently a Southeastern Asian word for "prank to make a dumbass eat rotten rat".

No. Do not try durian. It is vile. It is horrible. It is evil.

I am convinced durian is not actually a fruit. I am convinced someone skinned a dead rat that'd been sitting in the sun for a week, wrapped it in a random fruit peel they dug out of a dumpster, and served it, calling it "durian", which is apparently a Southeastern Asian word for "prank to make a dumbass eat rotten rat".
Are you sure you're Asian? Durian is supposed to be like your nectar.

Must try Durian now....
It's actually tasty. Reminiscent of mango and cantaloupe, in my opinion.
Mind you, I've only ever had it preserved or mixed into things (popsicles, candies, cakes), I've never had it fresh.
When it's fresh, the smell can be overpowering. Also, getting into the blasted thing is a bit of a chore. It can be a bit like trying to eat a barrel cactus.

--Patrick

I will never forgive my mother for using my car to buy durian and then forgetting it inside the trunk for a whole afternoon.
"Why didnt you use your car?" Her answer: "Didnt want it to smell afterwards."

fade

Staff member
I had durian. I didn't really like it, but I didn't really hate it either. It was rather nondescript.

fade

Staff member
Maybe it was the way I had it. It was in some whitish liquid.[DOUBLEPOST=1413897509,1413897387][/DOUBLEPOST]
You are quite the enigma Fade. I've never heard of someone describing durian as 'nondescript'.
You're right. I just checked. That was jack fruit. My mistake.

Well I've also found durian from different places to be quite different themselves. I like durian from Thailand much better than durian from Malaysia, for instance.

Most people whose only experience with durian is in a prepared dish will probably wonder what all the hubbub is about, since most cases of preparing durian are attempts to make it not so goddamn awful.

Durian are not fruit. They're the corpses of all the Qberts that died during the heyday of arcade games and Atari, made manifest in this world.

It's one of the few things, if not the only thing, I've seen Andrew Zimmern (Bizarre Foods) gag on after trying it. That guy has eaten rats and fried tarantulas and Hákarl, but he spit out durian.
Pshhhh. The guy doesn't even like lutefisk. Clearly he has no taste for the finer foods.

Yeah, and Starcraft's supposed to be my religion, but I've never played a game of Starcraft in my life. Also, I'm bad at math.

It's true, I'm a banana.
I had a friend in high school who described himself as a Twinkie; which baffled me, so he attempted to clarify by saying 'banana,' only I was also unfamiliar with that, and all other food-related terminology for people who are 'white on the inside.' I learned a lot of racist food associations that day, although I suspect some of their were made up by my friends taking advantage of my ignorance.

Until now, I'd only ever heard the one. I suppose it makes logical sense that the idea would spread to other foods/nationalities, but I had never considered it.

--Patrick

I had a friend in high school who described himself as a Twinkie; which baffled me, so he attempted to clarify by saying 'banana,' only I was also unfamiliar with that, and all other food-related terminology for people who are 'white on the inside.' I learned a lot of racist food associations that day, although I suspect some of their were made up by my friends taking advantage of my ignorance.
I've only heard "twinkie" used to describe a certain kind of good looking homosexual man. "Smooth, tan and full of cream"

I've only heard "twinkie" used to describe a certain kind of good looking homosexual man. "Smooth, tan and full of cream"
While my husband and his friends have made jokes about being "twinkies/bananas", I've only heard "twink" used for gay men. Maybe it was short for "twinkie"? It certainly changed the meaning behind Rainbow Brite's best friend.

That made me wonder if there was one for Latinos. Yep.
They use that here in Hawaii, too.[DOUBLEPOST=1413945855,1413945595][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, and Starcraft's supposed to be my religion, but I've never played a game of Starcraft in my life. Also, I'm bad at math.

It's true, I'm a banana.
Strangely (?) enough I didn't catch that as meaning something about race. A friend of mine earlier in the day had made a comment about people who compare apples to oranges when really you're a banana. So I took it to mean you were odd/different from everyone else instead of the white on the inside connotation.

Guys, I think I'm starting to go grey...

Now you listen here, you little scamp! When an old lady says she's starting to go grey, you shut your yap about it! The nerve of you, clicking on this spoilered picture like this, wanting to see some old lady's grey head wisps! Why, I'm not old enough that I still can't put you whippersnapper over my knee and give you a hodge podge of spankings!

(I'm a little sad I snapped a button off right near the end of my shift. :( )