New computer and monitor - About damn time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
your skills are weak young skywalker!
come back when you have a set-up like this for 900 dollars!

ok, thats cool man, but i gotta know...WHY THE i5!?

oh god what a horrible idea, I am just worried if he will be happy with an i5, I have the same speed first gen i7, and its amazing even if its not the fastest one on the market...

Ross

Staff member
I didn't feel like shelling out for an i7 upgrade... this is a good enough computer for the price, and I'm glad to have got what I did. My roommate, who's an avid computer person, is contemplating actually getting the same PC and monitor that I just ordered. I don't need my computer to be top-of-the-line or really-fucking-fast, just able to run things like CS:S and L4D and Photoshop at a good pace.

Checked my shipping info... it's in my state now! It's so close... I can almost feel it.

Unpacking images will be had. The rest of my shit in my desk area leaves a little to be desired, though. After I get this baby rolling, I'm reformatting my old PC with linux and taking it and my old monitor+keyboard+mouse into school to use.

The i5 should be fine.

The weakest point on my computer is the cpu, being an intel core 2 duo 3.0ghz. And it still plays all the new games perfectly on highest settings.

I do plan on upgrading in a year or so though, when more games start making use of multiple cores.

I went with an i5 recently and although it might not be the biggest powerhouse out there it does perform quite well. And for hundreds less than the i7.

You should have built a computer. :p

Everyone's been getting new computers lately, you guys are making me jealous. I'm going to be putting together a htpc/fileserver soon.

figmentPez

Staff member
I can't decide between the 2. Should I go for more real estate 2.5 inches larger. Or $40 less and have higher contrast but 3ms slower...
The difference between 5ms and 2ms is pointless (unless the 2ms is doing fancy tricks to get that low and is actually the worse choice because it's introducing extra lag). Contrast is more important, and I don't think the difference in size is that important when they're the same resolution.

I would have said "get the one with a matte finish on the screen", but they both have that, best as I can tell.

Ross

Staff member
Mother fuckin' UPS showed up AFTER I went to work (which was after 2:45pm), and they couldn't leave it with the apartment people like they SHOULD have, so now I have to wait until MONDAY to fucking drive over to their fucking building to pick up my fucking packages, or else risk not being at my place when they try to deliver it on Monday (I'll be out most of the day).

FUCK! :frusty::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

You should have built a computer. :p

Everyone's been getting new computers lately, you guys are making me jealous. I'm going to be putting together a htpc/fileserver soon.

Nowadays it's about the same price anyway, and I'm too busy at the moment to make my own, so I went with a pre-fab that SHOULD work by all accounts, and has a nice warranty on the whole thing.

Ross

Staff member
OUT WITH THE OLD:

AND IN WITH THE NEW:

EDIT:

Note the TV dinner table. This is temporary until the old computer gets the boot off of it's lofty desk perch.

Status
Not open for further replies.