Netflix is Developing a Live-Action Legend of Zelda Series

Man, that sounds either really really great or really really not great.

"The outlet reports that the series is being described as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience."

so...minus all the good stuff?

GasBandit

Staff member
If Link doesn't say "Hey! EXCUUUUUUUUUSE ME, Princess!" at least once, I will be severely disappoint.

There's so many ways this could go wrong. I'll watch it though. I'm happy to see Nintendo trying to develop their properties, but as Bowielee exhibited, it's been bad in the past.

Thinking about it more I think my main concern is that there isn't enough to the legend of zelda franchise that really warrants a TV show. Granted I haven't played as many of the games as others but they're all the same idea, right? Link goes through X dungeons, gets some weapons, fights Ganon, saves the day. It would probably work a bit better as a movie.

I mean the biggest challenge they're going to face is having to give Link a personality that somehow fits a guy who never talks.

Right now I'm neutral, I'll wait until they release a trailer. And a REAL trailer IGN, not that prank trailer that everyone in my High School class thought was real because it looked awesome! It was IGN right? Creh, whatevs.

Zappit

Staff member
So...each game gets it's own season, and there's some sort of inexplicable continuity between them?

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey, the Super Mario Brothers Super Show managed to find enough plot to fill 13 episodes, surely Netflix can do at least as good.

Thinking about it more I think my main concern is that there isn't enough to the legend of zelda franchise that really warrants a TV show. Granted I haven't played as many of the games as others but they're all the same idea, right? Link goes through X dungeons, gets some weapons, fights Ganon, saves the day. It would probably work a bit better as a movie.

I mean the biggest challenge they're going to face is having to give Link a personality that somehow fits a guy who never talks.
Gameplay formula is the same (save some individual tweaks per game) and the set pieces are the same, but how they work tends to differ. One game may deal with time travel, another with a post-apocalyptic setting, another with parallel worlds, another with the revival of an ancient god, and those are just in the main series. There's also plenty of weird stuff on the side. In Twilight Princess, there's a floating city that long ago had been inhabited by little bird people with human heads. There's also the whole timelines thing, where Link, Zelda, and Ganon are reincarnating over thousands of years in this world (though sometimes it's the same Ganon/Ganondorf as in a previous game), and those reincarnations are now divided between three parallels branching from Ocarina of Time.

All of that provides plenty of material for an interesting story. What makes me nervous is the whole "we want it to be like Game of Thrones" thing. It's going to be hard to take a story of political intrigue seriously when instead of humans with a fish on their banner, there's a kingdom of fish people. And a kingdom of rock people. And bird people, in some games.

That brings up another problem--Link and Zelda aren't humans; they're Hylians. Humans died out a long time ago according to Skyward Sword. So any actor playing a Hylian is going to show up with big pointy ears.

That brings up another problem--Link and Zelda aren't humans; they're Hylians. Humans died out a long time ago according to Skyward Sword. So any actor playing a Hylian is going to show up with big pointy ears.

...wait what? DAMN YOU WINDWAKER YOU LIAR! Or was that a translation flumup?

...wait what? DAMN YOU WINDWAKER YOU LIAR! Or was that a translation flumup?
Link_Second_Quest_(The_Wind_Waker).png

Pointy ears.
More to the point, human seems to be a blanket term in the legend of Zelda universe. Hylians, Gerudos, and regular humans are all called human throughout the series, particularly in Twilight princess.

As for regular ass humans, they're all throughout many of the LoZ titles, including Wind Waker.

Fi said:
This is a tale that you humans have told for many ages, generation to generation... but there are other legends, long hidden away from memory, that are intertwined with this tale. Now, a new legend bound to this great story stands ready to be revealed. A legend that will be forged by your own hand.

View attachment 17437
Pointy ears.
More to the point, human seems to be a blanket term in the legend of Zelda universe. Hylians, Gerudos, and regular humans are all called human throughout the series, particularly in Twilight princess.

As for regular ass humans, they're all throughout many of the LoZ titles, including Wind Waker.
Weird; maybe Skyward Sword is the one that had a translation issue then. Or they changed something. Or I'm wrong.

You know, back in the day, Nintendo Power had a pretty cool comic for Link to the Past, that could have easily worried as a TV series. Though that might be nostalgia talking.

What about those people who live in the desert where Ganon is from? Are they humans? Is Ganon the last human and we're all race traitors by killing him all the time?

And only one male Gerudo is born every 100 years, who is destined to be their king...is that messed up? Cos it sounds kinda messed up to me.

And only one male Gerudo is born every 100 years, who is destined to be their king...is that messed up? Cos it sounds kinda messed up to me.
I've always wondered where the babies even come from, but perhaps Gerudo reproduce through cellular mitosis and every 100 years some mutation occurs and produces a male.

Now I'm curious if they could someday have a backstory bit for a Zelda game where the desert was all war-torn and ruined, and it's because two males had been born at the same time, causing a power struggle. Make Ganondorf one of them, have him want the Triforce for this petty reason (king of the sand, woo!) Hell, that sounds Game of Thrones-y. There ya go, Netflix, it's that easy.

I've always wondered where the babies even come from, but perhaps Gerudo reproduce through cellular mitosis and every 100 years some mutation occurs and produces a male.

Now I'm curious if they could someday have a backstory bit for a Zelda game where the desert was all war-torn and ruined, and it's because two males had been born at the same time, causing a power struggle. Make Ganondorf one of them, have him want the Triforce for this petty reason (king of the sand, woo!) Hell, that sounds Game of Thrones-y. There ya go, Netflix, it's that easy.

I like that. Make it so Ganon comes off as super nice and that he wants to use the triforce power to make the desert flourish again. Link goes to get it and BAM! Splits into three with Ganon using the triforce of power to take over the desert and invade Hyrule. First two seasons in the bag!

I like that. Make it so Ganon comes off as super nice and that he wants to use the triforce power to make the desert flourish again. Link goes to get it and BAM! Splits into three with Ganon using the triforce of power to take over the desert and invade Hyrule. First two seasons in the bag!
Halforums should write this! :D

When you sit and think about it, the Zelda series has a lot of interesting stuff I can only hope they incorporate into the show. Whereas Game of Thrones is about doubts, Zelda has a lot of certainty, and that can be just as daunting. The gods are an active presence in this world, which can be comforting or terrifying. When no hero appears to stop Ganondorf between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, people pray for help, and what do the deities do? Drown the world. Hey, you don't have to deal with that evil stuff anymore--prayer granted!

And in that regard, there's Ganondorf. We don't see this much in the games, but the games do mention wars here and there. The wars over the Tri-Force are an obvious example, but even just before Ocarina, there was a savage war that orphaned Link as a baby. We usually see Hyrule after these times, when an ancient evil looms to shake up the status quo, for someone else to then restore or better it. But what about the guy who has to be that evil? It's not even vague--he is literally the King of Evil in some scenarios, and an ancient destructive god in others. What if he doesn't want to be? What can he even do about it? This world turns on Link, Zelda, and Ganon fulfilling their roles time and again. No wonder Link is a lazy shit who won't get out of bed in some games--that incarnation may not feel like doing all this, but he doesn't have a choice. It's their destiny, and that's scary.

This is kind of ignoring Wind Waker Ganondorf though. That was actually a well-written, three-dimensional character who had human desires and goals of his own. I have no doubt that he would've become King of Evil had those initial desires been actualized, but as it was, he was kind of a tragic villain.

I also read somewhere that they could be unisexual, using the sperm from male humans but not taking any of their genetic traits.
OOH, that'd be awesome! Plus it'd show that the "100 years" thing would just be from statistics recorded by Gerudo historians.

the Zelda-themed Hyrule Historia from Dark Horse was one of last year’s biggest selling comics projects, topping the New York Times best-seller list
I didn't know it was that popular! My friend got me a copy for my birthday. I'll admit, it's a great book.