Need a new CPU cooler

I bought myself a new case for my PC.
The Sharkoon T28.

Dimensions (mm) 200 x 475 x 440mm (W x D x H)
CPU cooler clearance 160mm

I use an AMD Phenom II 960T 3 Ghz processor, an AMD Radeon 7850,2x 1TB Harddrives and a 650W PSU.

I am looking at the Mugen 4 PCGH Edition cooler or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Do you have any recommendations? I do want to overclock my CPU

Last edited:
You're talking from the board surface to the side of the case, right? You're not talking clearance around the socket?

--Patrick

yes.
I do know that the Noctuas are one of the best Air coolers on the market, but damn,they are ugly.

Last edited:
Yah. Some of my favorite sources are recommending the Noctua NH-D15 which is exactly 160mm tall (but 165mm w/ fan).
If you have to stay below 160mm total height, then there are lots of people recommending the Cooler Master 212 EVO (158mm), but I have no actual personal experience with either. My Phenom II 1090T is just using the stock heatsink because it's good enough for my needs.

--Patrick

recommending the Cooler Master 212 EVO (158mm), but I have no actual personal experience with either. My Phenom II 1090T is just using the stock heatsink because it's good enough for my needs.

--Patrick
That's the cooler I use, and even while overclocking I've never had temp issues. It's a fat fuck, though, and I'm probably going to have to remove it if I ever want access to the ram slots it's looming over.

Also, if you've never used a high tension cooler before, you have to crank that sucker down far harder than you might think you should. To the point where you're pretty sure you're breaking the board in half.

That's the cooler I use, and even while overclocking I've never had temp issues. It's a fat fuck, though, and I'm probably going to have to remove it if I ever want access to the ram slots it's looming over.
Which are you using? The stock cooler, or the EVO? Your message isn't clear.

--Patrick

To expand on this, the stock cooler would probably be fine. In other builds I've done, even with moderate over clocking, the stock cooler was able to hold down temp no problem. I'd imagine that with most build setups, this would hold true, cpu technology has gotten pretty damn efficient, doing more with less power, and less heat. More advanced air stacks are only needed for severe over clocking or cpus that run especially hot, and liquid cooling our other exotic methods are only needed for niche builds or extreme overclocking.

But we're nerds, we demand performance, and fictional performance is almost as good. I know it certainly makes me feel better.

Plus, it looks cool in the case.