[TV] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Who else is tired of people complaining "WHY IS SEASON 3 TAKING SO LONG!" Fucking noobs, I waited at least 10 years for the Luigi's mansion sequel and am still waiting for the new Homestar Runner cartoons- PATIENTLY! And these guys can't handle a few freaking months? Ridiculous.

Ross

Staff member
Felt like the premier could have used another episode to fill out the story and the villain. Not a bad episode, but it was lacking what it needed to be a great episode.

Felt like the premier could have used another episode to fill out the story and the villain. Not a bad episode, but it was lacking what it needed to be a great episode.
Yeah, I liked it but the villain needed a bit more "oomph" to him. Maybe a song or something, more back-story. Fleh, they're probably gonna reveal later or something.

Yeah, the villain wasn't really fleshed out and it felt like he didn't do anything outside of cursing Shining Armor. Compare this to Discord, who spent both of his episodes basically fucking with the Mane 6 every few minutes. Really, it almost feels like these episodes could have been done without the villain...

Also, why was Luna being such a bitch to Twilight? Twilight is basically the only person who showed her a bit of compassion when she came back.

I swear to god if at the end of season 3 twilight sparkle evolves into an alicorn I will eat my gosh darn hat!, its all I keep thinking, she is being put through a crucible/trial by fire in order to become a princess.

I swear to god if at the end of season 3 twilight sparkle evolves into an alicorn I will eat my gosh darn hat!, its all I keep thinking, she is being put through a crucible/trial by fire in order to become a princess.
Well we'll know soon enough; this season is only 13 episodes and we've already played 2.

...okay yeah that would be the coolest thing ever. I would even be okay with them stopping the series there if they did...okay no I wouldn't but it would still be cool.

that would also finish out the god-like princesses, you have the princess of light, the princess of dark, and the princess of twilight. a kind of symbolic princess of the stars, who brings light where there is only darkness. If my college education pays off in the sense of trying to build allegory and predicting major story telling archetypes, I will feel very silly if it is true.

Does anyone else not get the gak pony memes? I really don't get it! I mean, I guess there was a gak commercial or whatever but I don't really give a shit about that!

figmentPez

Staff member
From comments I've seen, it was four Gak commercials in a row. Not a very good excuse for a meme, but when has the internet ever needed a reason?

Well one commercial break had 3 gak commercials and then the one following had 4 in a row. It was beyond ridiculous to have that many commercials for it in such a short amount of time. Normally I try to ignore the commercials too but its hard to not take notice when it happens that much.

I think the advertising may be working though. Now I want to get a tub?canister? of gak and set up a hill for it to roll down with ponies at the bottom and play the smooze song in the background.

I have to ask was I the only one not impressed with that episode? It seemed like the writers made the mane 6 just caricatures of themselves. They felt like they lost a bunch of their depth. Rainbow Dash was just a jerk. The villian scenes were a waste of time as he didnt matter in the episode. It felt very unimaginative, cliched and didn't draw me in at all. I'm not saying it was a bad episode. It just wasnt a good episode. It was mediocre which is really depressing as thats two episodes out of the thirteen for the season when the other 2 seasons only had 1 mediocre episode between them with the rest being above that mark.

Season three has no input from Faust, though it does use one of her plans that was not used in the previous two seasons.

I really hope King Sombra comes back, he has recurring character written all over him. Also-
remember how the crystal ponies called Cadence the crystal princess? POSSIBLE FORESHADOWING?!

figmentPez

Staff member
Saw an animated GIF of Princess Cadence and Shining Armor as they take down the villain...​
Now I want to see a recolor of that with Cadence as Wolverine and Shining Armor as Colossus. Fastball Special.

Does anyone else sometimes worry that Hasbro will jump the shark with MLP due to its popularity? Like, with lasers and stuff? I remember Battle Trolls, and I can see Hasbro going in a similar direction. Just wait, sooner or later they'll have a colt character called "Big Fraggintosh" and it will probably be hated.

Does anyone else sometimes worry that Hasbro will jump the shark with MLP due to its popularity? Like, with lasers and stuff? I remember Battle Trolls, and I can see Hasbro going in a similar direction. Just wait, sooner or later they'll have a colt character called "Big Fraggintosh" and it will probably be hated.
Not in the least, because that's not what the show's target market wants. Its pink pony toys, dude. Hasbro knows who butters their bread on that.

Not in the least, because that's not what the show's target market wants. Its pink pony toys, dude. Hasbro knows who butters their bread on that.
Yes as long as they are SMART. But last time I've checked, entertainment businesses have made some dumb changes in the past and some schmucks dumb ideas can get through. Need I remind you of KissPlayers?!

Yes as long as they are SMART. But last time I've checked, entertainment businesses have made some dumb changes in the past and some schmucks dumb ideas can get through. Need I remind you of KissPlayers?!
I give my rebuttal in three points:
1) Transformers: Kiss Players was made Takara (the Japanese owner of Transformers), not Hasbro (the American owner of Transformers and MLP). Separate companies.
2) Kiss Players was a subset of the Transformers franchise geared specifically at adults. It was no more a shark jump in that sense than the Lingerie Barbies were.
3) So far as I can tell, despite it being downright disturbing for western audiences, Kiss Players was at least modestly successful for its intended market.

The MLP brand is generating sales now, and has a healthy periphery demographic that's a cherry on the top. I'd bet money that if sales or ratings started to seriously lag, the elements that the periphery demo like would be the first to go. All the Bronies in the world < Little Girls and their parents' wallets.

I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the latest episode and I agree that it would have been nice if they had another episode so they could have focused more on the villain but overall I felt it was a pretty good episode. I also agree that there was definitely some major foreshadowing going on throughout the episode and I really hope they roll with it and give us a huge bang at the end.