[Movies] Mulholland Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could post this in the movie just watched thread, but holy shit. It's so rare that I see a movie and immediately want to watch it again (check), and also am just blown away by how perfect every single shot, every frame, every line and every SOUND of the movie was(check). Also, I immediately have to ask myself - is this my favorite movie I've ever seen? (check, but again, I slightly overrate movies within 15 minutes of them ending, so grain of salt)

And this movie gives you a LOT to digest. I am avoiding reading any sort of like... serious critic essays or reviews or interpretations, since I kind of want to figure it out and just think about it myself for a while. FUCK this was so good. I don't know why I haven't seen it earlier, I love David Lynch and Blue Velvet was really great too.

So, has anyone else seen this David Lynch instant classic? I guess put spoilers in tags, but... I mean, it's kind of a weird movie to spoil. I was really glad to go into it completely blind, so I'd love to give anyone else that same experience.

Here's my Mulholland Drive experience:

I was 19 or 20 or something young and dumb and had just popped in a late night movie with my girlfriend of the time. It was like 2 am. Her parents had a wall of dvds. I picked Mulholland Drive because I like David Lynch's work. We snuggle into the couch as it begins and I immediately fall asleep because it's 2 in the God damn morning. I wake up at some point to see what I remember as two tiny, twitching old people crawling under a door and then immediately fall back asleep.

Coincidentally enough, this is also how I remember Finding Nemo.

Cajungal

Staff member
I've only seen one part of that movie.
I was walking through a room to get a drink, and I saw what looked like a crying, masturbating woman. Is that the same movie?

Saw this in theaters while in college, you need to watch carefully to catch all the characters, which wasn't great as if you wanted to see it again, you had to buy another ticket. I liked it, though it did seem to be one of those "you need to be smart to understand what's going on" films, along with Memento the year before. I believe it was meant to be a television pilot, then was dropped, then Lynch turned it into a standalone movie.

Saw this in theaters while in college, you need to watch carefully to catch all the characters, which wasn't great as if you wanted to see it again, you had to buy another ticket. I liked it, though it did seem to be one of those "you need to be smart to understand what's going on" films, along with Memento the year before. I believe it was meant to be a television pilot, then was dropped, then Lynch turned it into a standalone movie.
Eh, Memento didn't really require you to be smart to know what's going on. Just needed you to pay attention.

A close friend of mine is crazy about David Lynch and insisted we watch this back when we first met. It is pretentious, because Lynch is pretentious, but it's also got a lot of atmosphere and though it takes some hunting, there is a clear message sewn into the movie's story and visuals. I wouldn't have figured it out without my friend outright telling me afterward, but it's there.

I watched it in a film analysis class. If the professor hadn't given us an...8, I think, page explanation of what was going on that she printed off the internet, I wouldn't have understood what the fuck was going. In part because we had to watch it over two days, but mostly because David Lynch.

On a quasi unrelated note, here's the music video for his single "Crazy Clown Time". NSFW.

The most normal thing in it, starting at thirty seconds and popping back in throughout, are the heavily tattooed girl laying next to the guy in glasses with a giant mustache, both babbling incoherently. Those are just hipsters.

GasBandit

Staff member
When somebody brings up this movie, I always think they're talking about Mulholland Falls, and I'm all like, yeah that was pretty good. Then I figure out it's not what is being discussed, and I

Necronic

Staff member
Go watch a Werner Herzog film and tell me that David Lynch's movies seem pretentious.

I think the reason that they seem that way is that we're so used to seeing crappy imitations of good art flicks, and those ARE pretentious. But a film like Mulhullond Drive (NOT FALLS) has many layers and many meanings, and many instances that are incredibly powerful if not clearly meaningful (the man behind the dumpster may be one of the scariest things I have ever seen on film, and Dennis Hoppers character in Blue Velvet makes Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men look like a schoolyard bully).

Actually, Charlie, if you haven't seen Blue Velvet you should watch it ASAP. The Candy Coloured Clown They Call the Sandman said so.

GasBandit

Staff member
I hadn't meant to say anything bad about Mulholland Drive. I just haven't seen it. Thus, having to awkwardly eject.

GasBandit

Staff member
Mullholland falls is a boss movie too. Nick Nolte is like the ultimate Noir Detective.
It felt, to me, like a prequel to a noir private eye film. I could see the protagonist becoming a hard drinking, bitter, "I woke up feeling like I’d been eating gravel. But those days are behind me so it had to be the bourbon" type detective after the events of Mulholland Falls cost him everything. He'd crawl into a bottle and become a cynic but to stay alive had to gumshoe for pocket change. MF just explained how he got to that point.

Necronic

Staff member
Watch Even Dwarves Started Small.

That movie is fucked up. A girl I was dating showed it to me. Halfway through that fucked up film she walks in in lingerie. I miss that chick.

Necro time!

Based on Charlie's recommendation, I just rented and watched this movie.

Initial thoughts: WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?

I actually really, really liked this. It was trippy as hell, and none of it made sense until the very end. Actually, it still doesn't make sense. Things started getting super weird right around the surprise lesbian scene, which was my first clue that shit was fucked up and may not be happening in any logical fashion. From best as I can tell, Diane (or Betty, or whatthefuckever) was in love with Camilla/Rita, who was a famous actress chosen by the mob to act in that movie, and was dating the director, who may or may not have once had a wife that cheated on him with Billy Ray Cyrus. She couldn't take the secret affair with Camilla/Rita, so she hired a terrible assassin who has a tendency to kill a lot of extra people because he can't stop from being scene. After leaving for three weeks so she couldn't be linked with the murder and coming back, she's overcome with grief over killing her lover, is haunted by the ghosts of her super happy grandparents, and then decides to blow her brains out. While she lays there dying of a gunshot to the brain, her fractured brain builds a fantasy world around her as her fractured memories flash before her eyes. The silencio club was her brain trying to tell her that everything she's seeing are memories and not real.

I think, anyway... my mind, she's blown.

Status
Not open for further replies.