Movie News & Miscellany

The current theory for this Ghustbusters thing is that the male-centric movie isn't a Ghostbusters movie, but one that takes place in the same universe. So it's likely going to be a supernatural slice of life comedy that'll tie into the rest of the series.

Honestly, this sounds dumb as hell. Now that Marvel did it, everyone is trying to make expanded universes without understanding why it worked for Marvel to begin with.

It's a missed opportunity if they're not adapting the Filmation Ghostbusters series (a.k.a. the one with the gorilla). ;) Channing Tatum would fit in that one well.

fade

Staff member
I'm really hoping she's the lead, and she's playing Mon Mothma, as some are speculating. It makes sense with the title--rogue one=first rebel.

No reason it can't be both. AFAIK, there's no canon origin to Rogue Squadron in the movies, so why not have Mon Mothma be the founding member of the starfighter squadron that later became known as the Rogues?

Not in the movies, no - there's very, very little canon left and it's quite a bit different from what a lot of people consider - only the 6 movies leaves a LOT of stuff up in the air, but DOES set some things in stone.

Not in the movies, no - there's very, very little canon left and it's quite a bit different from what a lot of people consider - only the 6 movies leaves a LOT of stuff up in the air, but DOES set some things in stone.
The last I heard for canonicity is..

- The 6 movies
- The Clone Wars TV show and Movie (or at least anything Lucas himself had a hand in)
- The Rebels TV show (According to Disney itself)
- A New Dawn (Novel, prequel to Rebels TV show)

That's a lot to work wit, despite not seeming like much. That said, I'd totally be down for a Rogue Squadron movie.

The last I heard for canonicity is..

- The 6 movies
- The Clone Wars TV show and Movie (or at least anything Lucas himself had a hand in)
- The Rebels TV show (According to Disney itself)
- A New Dawn (Novel, prequel to Rebels TV show)That's a lot to work wit, despite not seeming like much. That said, I'd totally be down for a Rogue Squadron movie.
As far as I'm concerned they'd have been better off just taking the 3 originals as canon :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I really don't see how you can make Mallrats 20 years later, when all involved are obviously 20 years older, and malls are being abandoned.

He's doing well with his podcast stuff. I wouldn't call that pandering because he actually enjoys doing it.
Sorry, let me rephrase that. His non-pandering FILM work.

I've listened to a couple of his podcasts. They're okay. Personally, my favourite work from him was the Evening with Kevin Smith stuff. Only seen the first two, though, but they were great.

All Evening with Kevin Smith are great. He is a really good storyteller when it comes to anecdotal stuff. I'm not sure how many are there, I think four, but in the later ones he talked about the shooting of Die Hard 4 and meeting Bruce Willis, the shooting of Cop Out, which was devastating and how he invited the Westboro Baptist Church to a showing of Red State and they showed up. He's also telling a lot of his personal stuff like the death of his dad.

His Podcasts are good, but I can see why it isn't something for everyone.

Mixed feelings about Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2. Comedy in the The View Askewniverse was always his strength but the actors and characters are all now 20 years older and Clerks 2 is a good closing point for Dante and Randell.

You want to do Mallrats 2? Fine. Have it star Dante's kid as she's forced to get a series of crappy jobs at a failing mall. Maybe Jay and Silent Bob run a medical marijuana dispensary there or something now. Do a B-plot for that and at least it'll be passable.

Well, it's not like he's had any success with his non-pandering work.
That's the thing, though. He makes what he wants to make, not what people want. The movies he does make enough for him to keep going, when initially he had planned to be done after Clerks II. Clerks III is only happening because Tusk did well enough as a cult movie, much like everything else he's made.

Personally I always liked Mallrats, so I don't mind another. I'd hate to see it be a "what are their kids doing now" movie, as I think his strength is more in dealing with the general apathy/malaise of 30-somethings wasting their younger years and trying to make up for it.[DOUBLEPOST=1426461539,1426461484][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mallrats 2 is probably going to be after Clerks 3. She'd be 15-16 by then.
Mallrats 2 is after a bunch of other movies, I think there's at least 3 or 4 he has on the docket before he gets around to it. Clerks III is going to start production this year, I think.

That's the thing, though. He makes what he wants to make, not what people want. The movies he does make enough for him to keep going, when initially he had planned to be done after Clerks II. Clerks III is only happening because Tusk did well enough as a cult movie, much like everything else he's made.

Personally I always liked Mallrats, so I don't mind another. I'd hate to see it be a "what are their kids doing now" movie, as I think his strength is more in dealing with the general apathy/malaise of 30-somethings wasting their younger years and trying to make up for it.[DOUBLEPOST=1426461539,1426461484][/DOUBLEPOST]

Mallrats 2 is after a bunch of other movies, I think there's at least 3 or 4 he has on the docket before he gets around to it. Clerks III is going to start production this year, I think.
Yoga Hosers is done production, Clerks 3D begins production this Mat. Hit Somebody later this year, then the Kraus anthology over the winter. Then i think it's Moose Jaws before Mallrats 3.

I give Kevin Smith a lot of respect for doing what he's doing. Which is to say: exactly what he wants. He's a poster boy for following your dreams, whether you like his films or not. Tusk was such a mixed bag of great and terrible, but the one thing you can't deny is that it was fucked up, and that's really all he had promised.

Nah, I don't buy that. If that was the case, he wouldn't keep returning to the Jay & Silent Bob/ViewAskew well.
Why abandon it if he feels he's got more stories to tell? Just because the characters were popular doesn't mean he's pandering by using them again, that's kind of a narrow viewpoint. Is every author and filmmaker pandering if they make more than one movie with the same character(s)?